Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Aborted landing / unexpected go-around experiences and discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aborted landing / unexpected go-around experiences and discussion

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2016, 7:12 pm
Original Poster

Flight 2156 LGA-BOS on 4 Aug unexpected go around

We were on approach and pretty low when the pilot applied full power, started a steep climb and banked hard right. He came on the PA and gave us some explanation of how a 787 ahead of us had reported too much of a tail wind and we were switching runways. A few passengers on the other side of the plane reported seeing another aircraft fairly close to us. Just wondering if anyone had heard anything

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 12, 2016 at 9:57 am Reason: Restore original post title
Old Aug 4, 2016, 7:27 pm

Programs: JetBlue Mosaic, WN A List Preferred, Hyatt Globalest, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Spire
Go Around Very Routine Usually not Considered an Emergency

A go around is very routine, and its not considered an emergency in most circumstances. Its unlikely that anyone would have heard about it even say on the twitter feeds that monitor scanner frequencies. It can be an interesting experience being on the plane, but its not usually reported on. I remember go arounds at LGA and LAS on some of my flights.

That being said you can look at
http://liveatc.net
and look for the archive for Boston Tower. You should be able to look up and download the mp3 of the atc conversations with your pilots and the go around. It would be interesting to listen too and sometimes these are posted also on Youtube with i.e. atc conversations.

Also at least a couple of times a week there is an "alert 2" at BOS, i.e. an incoming aircraft reports some kind of anomaly and the fire rescue equipment is dispatched out to the air field. Logan specifically calls this an "alert 2," in most cases. It could also be something like an a/c hit by lightning. Usually the plane lands, goes to its gate, and then you get a radio message "cancelling the alert 2."

There is i.e. with the OOTunes or TuneIn app you can pull up a
Boston Police, Fire, and EMS frequency
and a lot of the times you can hear these logan calls like an Alert 2, or say an unattended bag.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 7:31 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Title of this thread is inappropriate as this was almost certainly not an emergency.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by disalex
We were on approach and pretty low when the pilot applied full power, started a steep climb and banked hard right. He came on the PA and gave us some explanation of how a 787 ahead of us had reported too much of a tail wind and we were switching runways. A few passengers on the other side of the plane reported seeing another aircraft fairly close to us. Just wondering if anyone had heard anything
The only go-around I've had in 372 flights was LGA-BOS on US. BOS has a relatively complicated runway and taxiway layout and unpredictable winds, as well as a lot of traffic and a lot of "land and hold short" landings. I see no reason for the pilot to lie in this instance, and doubt you were even remotely that close to another aircraft. A go-around also is generally not an emergency, just operating out of an abundance of caution.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/.../KBOS/tracklog

According to this you were at about 1600 feet when the pilots initiated the go around.

Also, according to the map, you were originally coming in on 4R, before going around and then landing on 27. This is a pretty significant difference in direction, which tells me the winds shifted too much for landings on 4R to continue.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...200Z/KLGA/KBOS

Doesn't look like an emergency to me, I'd have no concern .

Last edited by TheBOSman; Aug 4, 2016 at 7:45 pm
Old Aug 4, 2016, 8:32 pm
Original Poster

Everything is relative and if a moderator wants to change the title to "unplanned go around" I have no issue with that. The reason I said "emergency" is because I have experienced go abounds on other flights and normally they are much more controlled than this one. It was a pretty steep climb. That is really what had me curious about it. Thanks for the info TheBOSman that is what I was interested in seeing.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
The climb was reported at only 700fpm max, less than 1/3 of the takoff climb rate on the same flight. But having been in the process of a 1700fpm descent, the relative difference was about the same as initial climb.

The reported 1 degree per second turn is mild, but directions are only reported a minute apart, so it certainly may have been compressed. Winds were generally from the SSW so a planned landing on 4 seems odd - 27 makes much more sense.

I'm at 8 in about 1500 segments.

Last edited by CPRich; Aug 4, 2016 at 11:10 pm
Old Aug 5, 2016, 1:32 am

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by disalex
Everything is relative and if a moderator wants to change the title to "unplanned go around" I have no issue with that. The reason I said "emergency" is because I have experienced go abounds on other flights and normally they are much more controlled than this one. It was a pretty steep climb. That is really what had me curious about it. Thanks for the info TheBOSman that is what I was interested in seeing.
It can be a little tricky when you're not sitting in the cockpit to determine how "controlled" everything was and go arounds by their nature often involve more sudden changes of direction than routine flying. However, that doesn't make everything relative. At the time of the go around either an emergency existed or it didn't (and by existed I mean that the pilots had or perceived an emergency situation and declared it). So it wouldn't be correct to call what happened an emergency go around if no emergency existed.

As a side note, a lot of things like climb rate, turn rate, descent rate in commercial planes have a factor in them that involves customer service. Meaning that the plane could climb, turn, descend at higher rates quite easily but they don't so they don't scare the you-know-what out of the passengers.

It can be quite the experience when you are sitting in a 5-point harness in a cockpit of a commercial jet and the pilot decides to make a descent that wouldn't happen with passengers on the plane.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 11:53 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Aborted Landing/Go Around: AA2423 today

Anybody else experience this today? On approach under 1,000 ft (could hear the "1000" count from the cockpit...

...a few seconds later we are full power and I look out the left window to see us climbing and the DFW terminals zooming by on the left side down below.

Interesting feeling for sure, but I never felt too worried about it other than hoping it wasn't a landing gear issue.

A few minutes after we began to turn, the pilot came on and confirmed that there was nothing wrong with the aircraft, but that we had to abort the landing because the plane in front of us didn't exit our runway in time for us to land.

Pretty non-eventful, but I've flown a lot and haven't had one of those yet.
Old Aug 12, 2016, 12:09 am

Only experience this once and it was at DFW in the exact same scenario, think it was roughly 10 years ago LGA-DFW. Got very close to landing on 17C then pulled up immediately and circled back around to 17L. Captain got on and said previous plane hadn't exited the runway yet so we had to go around. Not a huge deal, just odd to experience for the first time
Old Aug 12, 2016, 8:29 am

Programs: AA EXP
Happened to a flight I was on approaching DFW a few years back but we actually touched down (quite violently) before ascending again. Not the most pleasant experience but still better than AA'16.
Old Aug 12, 2016, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
I have experienced it at DCA and DTW. Both times we were "too close" to the aircraft in front of us.
Old Aug 12, 2016, 10:03 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
go arounds are fun, love the power.

Even better: rejected takeoffs (though those are much moreserious).
Old Aug 12, 2016, 10:54 am

Programs: American Airlines
Funny......I'd argue I have experienced more "go-arounds" at LAX then rain.....which if you do a lot of flying in and out of LAX should make perfect sense

~TG
Old Aug 12, 2016, 11:03 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Over the years I have probably experienced 6-10 go arounds. Luckily never with a tight connection.
Old Aug 12, 2016, 11:11 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
I had two aborted landings on one flight at SFO some years back. The first time fog drifted across the runway when we were quite close, the second time we were too close to the aircraft in front. Then we were struck by lightning on the go round. The third attempt was an uneventful landing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.