Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Rude to suggest that people line up before boarding?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rude to suggest that people line up before boarding?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2019, 5:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I hate the Southwest boarding process, because I don't like standing in line. I just sit down and relax until my group is called, then I stand up and board.

I have never understood the rush to get on the plane. It's not leaving without you, and your seat is the same. I'd probably want to line up if I was in the last group (to avoid a gate check) but for any other group I really don't see the point.
I think that the general concern is getting overhead bin space.

I also intensely dislike the general milling around the gate area. Even if I'm #9 in line for Zone 3, I'd much rather be in an organized line. I like what the guy did today to get us all in a line. (I am NOT the guy who did that.)
Old Jan 20, 2019, 5:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
Originally Posted by catcher1
People needing assistance are boarded in the group 5-9 line
Which airline are you flying?
Old Jan 20, 2019, 6:03 pm

Programs: AA EXPlat, 2.4MM; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Uncle Nonny
AA. This has been my experience. My next flight is 991 LAX-EZE 23 January. I will report back on the boarding process. OK?
Old Jan 20, 2019, 6:50 pm

Programs: CK or bust
CK Boards before Group 1. People needing assistance board before Group 1. Why gum up the process? To gain an extra 5 seconds?
And the nut-sensitive board before CK. It's the flying food chain.
Antarius and Uncle Nonny like this.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 6:51 pm

I think this is partly because when boarding is called some people charge for the gates and try to push to the front.

There was a United flight I took a few years back over Xmas where everyone is queuing up to board at the gate and then someone starts aggressively shoving their way from the back of the queue. Another person turned round and said "there is line" and he said "I'm trying to get on this flight" ... someone else piped up and said "so is everyone else in this line"

Getting people to line up beforehand does make sense if they are willing to a) go into the right lane and b) staff enforce it. When I've flown CX out of HK, they will allow people to start queuing in their respective line whenever they like. However, a ground staff almost always walks down the line to check the boarding card and asks people to move to their correct lane. In some cases, it means economy class passengers being sent to their line and in others it means first class passengers being moved to a different queue.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 6:53 pm

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
AA. This has been my experience. My next flight is 991 LAX-EZE 23 January. I will report back on the boarding process. OK?
I doubt LAX to EZE will be a problem, but my last EZE boarding had a lot of non-rev, friend of the GA behavior going on. So watch out for that.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 6:58 pm

Programs: CK or bust
People needing assistance are boarded in the group 5-9 line. I see nothing wrong with group 1 passengers lining up within the barriers (The only very minor gum-up is a CK passenger.) On the other hand, I don't think passengers should be making suggestions to others at the boarding gate. If a group 1 passenger wants to move ahead, that's his business. He shouldn't be looking for group support.
I have to admit, I can't recall seeing flyers requiring pre-boarding assistance that weren't accommodated before group 1. They are often or in almost instances called before CKs on my flights.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NYCommuter

I also intensely dislike the general milling around the gate area. Even if I'm #9 in line for Zone 3, I'd much rather be in an organized line. I like what the guy did today to get us all in a line. (I am NOT the guy who did that.)
deleted - responsed to a different post
Old Jan 20, 2019, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I hate the Southwest boarding process, because I don't like standing in line. I just sit down and relax until my group is called, then I stand up and board.
But why wouldn't you do exactly this on WN? You don't have to get in line until it's called, just like your group. Moreover, with the superior WN system, you can step in line right in your assigned spot, even if you're right at the front of the line, instead of at the end of the scrum.
How is the legacy boarding chaos in any way superior?
Old Jan 20, 2019, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by enpremiere
I have to admit, I can't recall seeing flyers requiring pre-boarding assistance that weren't accommodated before group 1.
Good. That's what the law requires.

14 CFR 382.93 - Must carriers offer preboarding to passengers with a disability?

prev next
§ 382.93 Must carriers offer preboarding to passengers with a disability?

As a carrier, you must offer preboarding to passengers with a disability who self-identify at the gate as needing additional time or assistance to board, stow accessibility equipment, or be seated.
JDiver and enpremiere like this.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Antarius
even with queues, you can still board late.
Not on Southwest, unless you are happy with a middle seat at the back of the plane. That's why I said I didn't like their process -- it's more of the lack of assigned seating.

Originally Posted by NYCommuter
That really only makes sense if you are in the last (or maybe next-to-last?) group.

If you are in the first couple of boarding groups, and get up and board when your group is called (ie, don't wait in line before boarding starts, but also don't wait until the end -- just go when your group is called) there should be no problem with overhead space.

Once I was flying UA paid F (no status). It seemed like the whole plane full of people was in line half an hour before boarding, in the right line for their group. It was fairly organized, but there were really a lot of people in line. I have no idea why -- I remained seated in the gate area. When they called F I got up and boarded. I was one of the last F people to board, but it didn't affect my ability to get overhead bin space or a PDB. Why all the other people in F stood in that line for half an hour is beyond me. They got to board 1-2 minutes before me. That is worth.... absolutely nothing.

Honestly I think most people just follow along with things. They see a few people waiting in line and they just join in with the herd, not really questioning whether it makes sense.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
"White privilege" and "Rude" - I am confused. If you line up in the order of your boarding group, I don't see the issue
Old Jan 20, 2019, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
Not to side with that person, but in the US, white people are more likely to have the money to fly F. Most likely also miles.

Anyway, the person who was calling for a group 1 line was presumably doing so to display and emphasize that they had a right to board before later groups. This is tacky.
Tacky, I don't know... but certainly not racist.
joe_miami likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by mvoight
"White privilege" and "Rude" - I am confused. If you line up in the order of your boarding group, I don't see the issue
its almost insulting actually. It implies that lining up is a white person thing.

this non white person likes their lines, thank you very much.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 11:21 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
The wanna-be gate agent should just go be the solo gate lice and endure the staring (and mockery by folks like me), instead of trying to convince others that his behavior is correct.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.