Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Rude to suggest that people line up before boarding?

Old Jan 20, 2019, 2:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive

Today I was waiting for my flight, just before boarding. At the gate, like most American Airlines gates, there are 2 clearly-marked boarding lanes: one for zones 1-4 (first class and other elites) and the other for zones 5-9 (main cabin). People usually mill around the boarding lanes, but they don't go past the sign where the lanes begin; rather, they wait in an unorganized way around the sign for the boarding lanes, with nobody wanting to move right up to the sign, or into the lane.

One middle-aged white guy behind me said, "For everyone in zone 1, why don't we just go ahead and line up, and go ahead and move into the boarding lane and wait on the side of the lane? That way, boarding will be faster and nobody can cut in line, and if there's a Concierge Key member, who boards first, the person can just go in front."

People started to actually line up, but then one person grumbled something about "rude" and "white privilege", and people stopped. So there were 4 people in the boarding lane, all lined up, and others still waiting outside the boarding lane.

I think that it's an excellent idea to announce that we can just line up-even if it's another passenger who said it. How is that rude? I don't think that it is.

Thanks.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 3:20 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Moving thread to AA Forum
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Jan 20, 2019, 3:26 pm

Programs: WN A-List, AA good-riddance, Safeway Club Card Extraordinaire
Not sure why you're giving that random person's opinion so much weight.

I've seen people line up before plenty of flights. If you want to, you should. If you don't, then don't.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 3:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
CK Boards before Group 1. People needing assistance board before Group 1. Why gum up the process? To gain an extra 5 seconds?
nancypants and ruffio1 like this.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 3:41 pm

I don't understand why the person used the words "white privilege". As far as I know, if you have the money or points you can fly F. Why do you have to throw race in the mix?
Old Jan 20, 2019, 3:44 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Yes, it's called "gate lice". I hate when people line up and block the lane for others.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 3:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Best thing to do when know-it-all non-employees try to "organize" things is to ignore them. Who cares what the guy says?

He happened to be wrong in a way which may gum up boarding. But, even if he is correct, what is the big hurry to board 6.5 seconds faster? My basic understanding of quantum physics is that all passengers arrive at the same time.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by jmj9905
I don't understand why the person used the words "white privilege". As far as I know, if you have the money or points you can fly F. Why do you have to throw race in the mix?
Not to side with that person, but in the US, white people are more likely to have the money to fly F. Most likely also miles.

Anyway, the person who was calling for a group 1 line was presumably doing so to display and emphasize that they had a right to board before later groups. This is tacky.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 3:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
Originally Posted by jmj9905
I wasn't the one who claimed that "white privilege" applied; I simply am reporting what one person stated, and that statement froze up others from proceeding.

I was behind 2 other people in front of the sign at the boarding lane. The guy who called for Zone 1 people to line up might have been arrogant about being in Zone 1, but perhaps he just saw that there were other Zone 1 people milling around.

Originally Posted by Uncle Nonny
CK Boards before Group 1. People needing assistance board before Group 1. Why gum up the process? To gain an extra 5 seconds?
I thought that it helped things; rather than having people milling around the boarding area, as gate lice, people moved to one side of the unused boarding lane, freeing up space elsewhere, and the lane was wide enough that CK members could board through it, and there were people who boarded in wheelchairs through the other lane.

I've seen gate agents require this before, and I actually liked it, whoever was pushing for it.
RFNJ likes this.

Last edited by ibrandsguest; Jan 20, 2019 at 4:14 pm
Old Jan 20, 2019, 3:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Bonvoy titanium
1 that person was wrong to put race into the situation.

2 my personal opinion lining up shouldn’t be done unless off to the side of the gate like southwest. There are groups/persons who board before group 1 so why get in the way. Argument of lining up to speed things up doesn’t hold water as you likely now slowed others down to get on as they have to move around you. Aggregate now being you slowed down the entire boarding process

i do think the boarding process sucks. Agents rarely turn away people who board when they shouldn’t and gate lice are terrible. When I’m not upgraded it really bothers me how twenty people board with group one on planes wth six first class seats while I stand patiently waiting for group 2
Old Jan 20, 2019, 4:02 pm

Nuhusky:

I agree.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 4:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Bonvoy titanium
Just to say it, I actually think the southwest boarding process works and let’s face it us elites would probably like knowing we have low numbers when getting on the plane. Would mean aa has to leave spare numbers to allow for late arriving elites so doubtful it could ever work but aa boarding isn’t great
Old Jan 20, 2019, 4:28 pm

Programs: AA EXPlat, 2.4MM; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Uncle Nonny
People needing assistance are boarded in the group 5-9 line. I see nothing wrong with group 1 passengers lining up within the barriers (The only very minor gum-up is a CK passenger.) On the other hand, I don't think passengers should be making suggestions to others at the boarding gate. If a group 1 passenger wants to move ahead, that's his business. He shouldn't be looking for group support.
strickerj and nancypants like this.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I hate the Southwest boarding process, because I don't like standing in line. I just sit down and relax until my group is called, then I stand up and board.

I have never understood the rush to get on the plane. It's not leaving without you, and your seat is the same. I'd probably want to line up if I was in the last group (to avoid a gate check) but for any other group I really don't see the point.
princeville likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I hate the Southwest boarding process, because I don't like standing in line. I just sit down and relax until my group is called, then I stand up and board.

I have never understood the rush to get on the plane. It's not leaving without you, and your seat is the same. I'd probably want to line up if I was in the last group (to avoid a gate check) but for any other group I really don't see the point.
I'm usually the last guy on as well. But in the rare case I don't check a bag, it's a PITA to weave through a cluster of people to try to board.

In an ideal world where everyone sat down and only got up when called (somehow they manage this in NRT flawlessly), you are correct. Given that group 8 people love to stand right in front of the line blocking it, IMO, queues would be preferable.

even with queues, you can still board late.
enpremiere and Oxnardjan like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.