Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Really Traveling for Work--Need Advice

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2019, 10:35 am

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
Yep. Pearl Harbor. For this, I may have the Mrs. Join me.
Great. Chinatown in Honolulu has really stepped up its restaurant and lounge offerings. Definitely worth a visit.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by platbrownguy
Actually, being a DCA flyer, I think BWI would be a great airport to fly AA out of on the regular -- much much higher likelihood of making upgrades as a Plat on segments to DFW, PHX, etc. On short notice I've flown out of BWI instead of DCA for precisely that reason (esp. when I have the 30 min to spare and the DCA-DFW flight I want is already sold out in F, as they often are even >100 hours out).
OP, this is the answer you're looking for. Since you're going to be connecting somewhere no matter what, fly AA out of BWI where you're likely to get upgraded to an AA hub, then kick, scream, beg, pay, or do whatever else is within the realm of possibility and/or morality to get yourself in a lie-flat seat to/from HNL.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 2:52 pm

Programs: American Airlines, Alaska Airlines, Hilton, IHG
Until you get up to at least Platinum Pro status, I would make use of miles & copay upgrades for the longer or overnight itineraries. Miles & copay upgrades clear before any elite status comp (or 500-mile) upgrades, so you are really jumping the line. Some may be confirmable well in advance of the flight. If you attempt to wait for your Platinum 500-mile upgrades to clear, you will get upgraded 10-20% of the time.

Be sure you or your company are earning points on Business Extra. The one segment upgrades are ideal for the Hawaii sectors.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 3:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by BPCGuy
Until you get up to at least Platinum Pro status, I would make use of miles & copay upgrades for the longer or overnight itineraries. Miles & copay upgrades clear before any elite status comp (or 500-mile) upgrades, so you are really jumping the line. Some may be confirmable well in advance of the flight. If you attempt to wait for your Platinum 500-mile upgrades to clear, you will get upgraded 10-20% of the time.

Be sure you or your company are earning points on Business Extra. The one segment upgrades are ideal for the Hawaii sectors.
OP should have well over 50% upgrade as regular Plat on BWI-DFW/PHX so I wouldn't kill a mileage upgrade on that. Also keep in mind that mileage upgrades to Hawaii have a higher copay -- it's 15,000 miles plus $175 each way. BXP1s are a great idea if (big if) OP's purchased fares are not in B/N/O/Q/S (I'm sure they won't be B, but still).

One thing OP might look into is paying to up-fare just the return HNL-DFW segments to ensure a flat bed on those overnights. (After all, the stickers would cost $320 anyhow, and it may only be $300-600 to pay to upgrade that segment outright.)

At least this is what I would do in OP's situation if I had to do a bunch of BWI-HNL trips: roll the dice on a likely "sticker" upgrade for BWI-DFW-BWI, grab a Premium Economy seat at a modest upcharge (tbh a reasonable employer should pay for this!) on DFW-HNL, and pay cash to upgrade to F on HNL-DFW.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 3:50 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Delta GM, Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
IMO the OP should arrange to have lounge access. IIRC BWI currently has some all airlines lounge, but I'm not sure whether it's PP or just for AmEx Plat/Centurion card. I'm not sure it's worth pursuing BA status just for lounge access versus buying an AA lounge membership and using AA status for partner lounges on international trips. If OP will mostly be flying AA, IMO EXP status should be the goal if AA has been chosen as the airline, although obviously the sub goal is Plat Pro as soon as possible.
There is no AA lounge at BWI. In fact, the only lounges available are in the D/E terminal, which is not linked to A/B/C (AA departs from C) behind security.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by CPRich
In my 25 years, I "had" to go many places (47 states, 8 provinces, 30+ countries) where people had a similar reaction.

Trust me - 3-6 hour flight, cab, hotel, office, hotel, cab, 3-5 hour flight isn't always glamorous and gets old before long.
People who think traveling for work is glamorous don't travel for work
andrewstahl likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 6:26 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by LovePrunes
I travel for work and I think that sometimes it can be glamorous depending on a variety of factors. I would never go to Las Vegas for vacation but I've had some nice work trips there for instance.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 7:08 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Well, my job at work changed and now I have two national accounts-that include a location in HNL. I get to pick my own airlines-within the provisions in Concur-has to be economy though. I just booked my first trip. About 6K miles in 5 days. Prior to this, all of my clients were in the mid Atlantic and WN suited me well. AA has always been the airline we used for personal travel intercontinental, so I thought I would utilize AA as much as possible to build miles and status.

Right now, I am signing up for Plat challenge. My wife was just comped Plat Pro for four months! Wow I wish that was me.

I have never used 500 milers nor do I understand them-I have 12.

Any tips etc that I should know about? I have the Citi Elite and Amex Plat so pretty good lounge access as well. Thanks.
OP has AA lounge and Centurion (DFW) access so that's not an issue. IME, home airport lounge access (BWI) is nice but hardly necessary. I often do use the Centurion @ PHL to grab a bite on the way but I could easily do otherwise. Coming back, it's straight to the car so who cares.

Posted upthread was a really good suggestion - depending on OP's budget, buying Y-UP out-of-pocket has the nice effect of doubling EQM. If I was in OP's position, I'd do everything I could to get to PPro and free sticker upgrades. Anytime I could cost effectively do pay the difference, I would buy the Y-UP rather than a) take the risk of an upgrade b) use stickers and c) certainly not buy stickers. @ $40 per sticker, you'd be much better off putting those $'s to work doubling EQM.

ADDED: BWI-DFW-HNL is 10000 miles RT x 2 = 20000 EQM. Home many times/year do you have to go? If it's once a quarter, 4 trips get you PPro (and probably EXP if you add in your other flights = 4 SWUs) in a year.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 7:20 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by LovePrunes
I've traveled for work. Some of the trips were quick morning flights out, work the day, evening flights back. Others multiple days. I've always had the option to use vacation time and stay extra (with my own hotel/car), so long as the cost of the flight isn't more than about $50 more (a few times it has actually been less).

One of my brothers travels for work, every year there's a big conference that his company sends him to. A few years ago it was in Sydney, Australia. His wife and daughter went with him. He extended his stay (took vacation), so they could all spend a few days there to explore and enjoy.

I had just assumed that most companies allowed employees to use vacation days to extend work trips. Evidently I'm wrong.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 9:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
My tickets are company paid-booked through Concur. I will have to see if there is a way for me to pay (myself) to upgrade after the fact. Not sure there is.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 9:21 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
My tickets are company paid-booked through Concur. I will have to see if there is a way for me to pay (myself) to upgrade after the fact. Not sure there is.
You just call AA and tell them you want to upfare. Depending on who your travel agency is (Concur is just a booking tool, you still use an agency of some kind), you may have to pay a $50 booking takeover fee.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 9:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by donotblink
You just call AA and tell them you want to upfare. Depending on who your travel agency is (Concur is just a booking tool, you still use an agency of some kind), you may have to pay a $50 booking takeover fee.
Perfect thanks. Yes, we use Direct Travel.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 9:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Note my advice upthread to up-fare only the segments you really need to be in first class for (where you don't want to "risk" the sticker upgrades) -- odds are your ticket will be $700-1000 in coach but $2000ish in F for the complete roundtrip... but you may be able to upgrade just the HNL portions for a reasonable portion of the difference.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 11:01 pm

Try calling them before AA to avoid the booking takeover fee.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.