Really Traveling for Work--Need Advice

Old Jan 10, 19, 5:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Platinum, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, US Gold
Really Traveling for Work--Need Advice

Well, my job at work changed and now I have two national accounts-that include a location in HNL. I get to pick my own airlines-within the provisions in Concur-has to be economy though. I just booked my first trip. About 6K miles in 5 days. Prior to this, all of my clients were in the mid Atlantic and WN suited me well. AA has always been the airline we used for personal travel intercontinental, so I thought I would utilize AA as much as possible to build miles and status.

Right now, I am signing up for Plat challenge. My wife was just comped Plat Pro for four months! Wow I wish that was me.

I have never used 500 milers nor do I understand them-I have 12.

Any tips etc that I should know about? I have the Citi Elite and Amex Plat so pretty good lounge access as well. Thanks.
Old Jan 10, 19, 5:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Congrats, I guess, but shouldn't you look at which airline is best for your business travel in terms of routes and schedules rather than automatically assuming that the airline you've been using for leisure trips will be best for your new business role?

The use of WN suggests that your home airport is BWI, but would a different airport work for you?
Old Jan 10, 19, 5:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Platinum, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, US Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Congrats, I guess, but shouldn't you look at which airline is best for your business travel in terms of routes and schedules rather than automatically assuming that the airline you've been using for leisure trips will be best for your new business role?

The use of WN suggests that your home airport is BWI, but would a different airport work for you?
Yes...BWI is nearest. PHL is about 90+ mins away. DCA is closer than PHL, but DC traffic. Yuck. Good thought though. I will look into that. Yes "congrats". I told Mrs. Vker I am somewhat excited. Don't want to burn out. Want to be successful in the position and not dread it.
Old Jan 10, 19, 8:54 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, The Suggestion Box and Talkboard Topics

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Read "Sticker" / 500-mile & EXP "UDU" Complimentary Upgrade Policy / FAQ, starting with the Wikipost atbthe top of the page.

Congratulations! I always learned about my destinations, sometimes spent weekends (reduced air travel costs and gave time to explore) and enjoyed. St. Louis? The St. Louis Symphony, zoo, etc. etc. Thirty years of being a “road warrior”, I never burned out, made a lot of friends in different places, saw and enjoyed a lot of sights and experiences, enjoyed the diversity and challenges of my clients.
C17PSGR and traveller99 like this.
Old Jan 10, 19, 9:05 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold; United Airlines Gold
You "have" to go to HNL for work? NICE.
Gino Troian likes this.
Old Jan 10, 19, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT PLT, AA LT PLT, HH GLD, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by jcatman View Post
In my 25 years, I "had" to go many places (47 states, 8 provinces, 30+ countries) where people had a similar reaction.

Trust me - 3-6 hour flight, cab, hotel, office, hotel, cab, 3-5 hour flight isn't always glamorous and gets old before long.
Old Jan 10, 19, 10:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, Hyatt Diamond, M/SPG Plat Prem, National Exec Elite, mlife platinum
Actually, being a DCA flyer, I think BWI would be a great airport to fly AA out of on the regular -- much much higher likelihood of making upgrades as a Plat on segments to DFW, PHX, etc. On short notice I've flown out of BWI instead of DCA for precisely that reason (esp. when I have the 30 min to spare and the DCA-DFW flight I want is already sold out in F, as they often are even >100 hours out).

OP, try to get Plat Pro as soon as possible, maybe angle for a challenge/match to it? Otherwise you're going to burn (and buy) a ton of stickers upgrading BWI-XXX-HNL and back. You'll need 3 for BWI-DFW, 8 for DFW-HNL; 4 for BWI-PHX, and 6 for PHX-HNL. Per segment.
Old Jan 10, 19, 11:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP (owe), BA Silver (ows), AB Silver (owr), WN A+/CP, IHG Spire AMB, Avis First
Highly suggest taking the Mrs to the UK for "no reason" and getting the requisite BA segments for BA silver.

Maybe take another quick trip to PTY to attain the status.

BA silver = ow sapphire and youll have access to lounges when travellong domestically, which makes a huge difference, especially when you're not at a hub.

If you time it right you can earn the status for two years for 600 TP. Or 1500TP for 3 years, thanks to soft landings.

PS. I used to fly WN weekly (intra-CA) and switched to AA about 4 years back... Haven't turned back, though AA does have it's quirks...

But ppro should definitely be your priority as upgrades without stickers will help a lot. IMO its doable to keep BA and AA status at the same time, but I don't know how much EQDs matter on upgrade heavy routes like DFW HNL...
​​​​

Last edited by no2chem; Jan 10, 19 at 11:54 pm
Old Jan 11, 19, 1:22 am

Programs: AS, AA, B6, Hilton, Marriott
I find lounge access isn't as necessary when your company expenses your costs, food/snacks/coffee etc, so I would try to limit my actual time in the airport to the bare minimum, versus arriving early to get into a lounge that doesn't even provide decent food. Unless they don't cover such costs, which one would be an awful policy and then force me to make do with the lounge offerings.
fotographer and Shrpchef like this.
Old Jan 11, 19, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HH, MR elite. Fly mostly AA/WN/B6.
Originally Posted by Mr. Vker View Post
My wife was just comped Plat Pro for four months! Wow I wish that was me.
Not that big a deal IMO. I had the same comp migrating away from AS post-merger. Nothing really happened; an upgrade or two on short flights, and a little earlier boarding group, and a meager smattering of additional miles. It didn't make a big enough impression to motivate me to steer enough money to AA to keep it going. YMMV.

Originally Posted by CPRich View Post
In my 25 years, I "had" to go many places (47 states, 8 provinces, 30+ countries)... Trust me - 3-6 hour flight, cab, hotel, office, hotel, cab, 3-5 hour flight isn't always glamorous and gets old before long.
In my apex travel years (four continents, many ocean crossings, usually business class) I was routinely cornered by friends who said they envied me all the exotic places I'd seen. I replied I had seen the interiors of a lot of airplanes, airport lounges, shuttle vans and hotel event spaces, and after awhile they all looked the same. I was glad to hang it up when the time came.
LovePrunes and andrewstahl like this.
Old Jan 11, 19, 7:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jcatman View Post
Yep. Pearl Harbor. For this, I may have the Mrs. Join me.
Old Jan 11, 19, 8:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
IMO the OP should arrange to have lounge access. IIRC BWI currently has some all airlines lounge, but I'm not sure whether it's PP or just for AmEx Plat/Centurion card. I'm not sure it's worth pursuing BA status just for lounge access versus buying an AA lounge membership and using AA status for partner lounges on international trips. If OP will mostly be flying AA, IMO EXP status should be the goal if AA has been chosen as the airline, although obviously the sub goal is Plat Pro as soon as possible.
Old Jan 11, 19, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

BWI is actually a nice airport and easy to navigate. The only pain is the car rental facility which the OP won't have to deal with. Too bad AA doesn't have an AC at BWI. I actually think having lounge access is important for business travel. The food is perfectly fine if you are not picky but it can get old since AA doesn't swap out the menu much. Having a quite place to work is important for me (like right now when I'm in the MIA AC). Not to mention re-routing help and showers at bigger clubs (other than the LUS ACs.)
Old Jan 11, 19, 8:03 am

Programs: AA, CX, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by CPRich View Post
In my 25 years, I "had" to go many places (47 states, 8 provinces, 30+ countries) where people had a similar reaction.

Trust me - 3-6 hour flight, cab, hotel, office, hotel, cab, 3-5 hour flight isn't always glamorous and gets old before long.
Not to mention getting up at weird time to have conference calls with East/Central timezone...ugh, I don't miss working at HNL at all.
Old Jan 11, 19, 8:09 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Rewards Platinum Premier Elite
You should know that the premium experience on the ex-DFW and ORD flights are better than LAX and PHX. Wide body vs narrow body. You’ll get more upgrade opportunities on the DFW or ORD flights. You will need one 500 mile upgrade per 500 miles flown on each segment if there’s availability.

will your company pay for premium economy? Ex-DFW and ORD have that.

Search this Thread

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: