Community
Wiki Posts
Search

J seat map full, yet tickets for sale

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2019, 10:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One
J seat map full, yet tickets for sale

Was looking at a flight from BWI to MIA on a 738. ExpertFlyer showed J2 but showed a full J cabin. On aa.com, I could buy the J ticket but it also showed no seats available. I'm not sure I've ever seen this in J. Any ideas why this might be?

Last edited by ikwia; Jan 7, 2019 at 11:03 am
Old Jan 6, 2019, 10:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Overbooking a known concept
nancypants likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 10:53 pm

Programs: Qantas Platinum, United Premier 1K, HSBC Premier, AVIS President's Club, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Probably overbooked. You should be fine if you're EXP/CK/OWE.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 10:58 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
The airline is banking on one or more of the following:
  1. A passenger will no-show
  2. A passenger will mis-connect
  3. A passenger will cancel or change flights in advanced
  4. A passenger booked in discount I will accept compensation to move to Y or J in another flight for less than the delta between their I and your J ticket.
What is the equipment used for this flight?
Old Jan 6, 2019, 11:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One
Yes, I'm aware of the concept of overbooking. With that said, IME, which is perhaps not representative, AA doesn't generally overbook domestic J cabins. So I am still surprised to see this. Equipment is 738, as mentioned in the original post.
apeortdz likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 11:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If there's also a FC cabin, AA can move some people up from J to F to create space. I doubt that the displaced passengers would complain or demand compensation for such an OPUP. [This is unlikely for the aircraft used on the route mentioned in the OP.]
Old Jan 7, 2019, 12:42 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by ikwia
Yes, I'm aware of the concept of overbooking. With that said, IME, which is perhaps not representative, AA doesn't generally overbook domestic J cabins. So I am still surprised to see this. Equipment is 738, as mentioned in the original post.
I have seen J inventory available without business class seats on a handful of flights between JFK and MIA, but I didn’t think to document the examples at the time.

Did you check expert flyer to see if any of the seats might mearly be blocked and not occupied.
Steve M likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 5:53 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Data point: A couple days ago I changed my DFW-EGE booking to an earlier flight time which showed J2D2I2 where all seats were marked as occupied on aa.com and EF. I set up an EF seat alert for all 16 seats and was alerted the next morning then went online and got my seat assignments. When I changed the ticket, the agent said they do overbook domestic first, but not on the DFW-EGE route.
Spanish likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 6:08 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Was not aware of any 3-class 738's, with F/J/Y, so wondering if this might just be a glitch in the seating chart. If 2-class, a 738 ought to show as F/Y, Is OP booking an onward international connection?
Old Jan 7, 2019, 7:03 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Plat, NK $9 fare club
Originally Posted by aaupgrade
Data point: ..............the agent said they do overbook domestic first...........
And there it is...
Old Jan 7, 2019, 7:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
Was not aware of any 3-class 738's, with F/J/Y, so wondering if this might just be a glitch in the seating chart. If 2-class, a 738 ought to show as F/Y, Is OP booking an onward international connection?
A 2 class domestic 738 uses J despite the marketing that says first class.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 7:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by donotblink
Did you check expert flyer to see if any of the seats might mearly be blocked and not occupied.
They were showing as occupied, not blocked
Old Jan 7, 2019, 7:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aaupgrade
When I changed the ticket, the agent said they do overbook domestic first, but not on the DFW-EGE route.
I'm curious how prevalent this is. As mentioned in my original post, I'm not sure I've ever seen this before, on thousands of domestic flights. I'm not at all saying it doesn't happen, but I suspect that the overbooking is focused on specific routes or even flights. I'd be interested in hearing from anyone with good info on this topic.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 7:46 am

Originally Posted by ikwia
I'm curious how prevalent this is. As mentioned in my original post, I'm not sure I've ever seen this before, on thousands of domestic flights. I'm not at all saying it doesn't happen, but I suspect that the overbooking is focused on specific routes or even flights. I'd be interested in hearing from anyone with good info on this topic.
Perhaps in hub cities when revenue management can determine a certain percentage of passengers are on connecting flights?
Old Jan 7, 2019, 10:32 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
Interestingly enough I booked a last minute first ticket this past weekend (4 hours prior to departure) and was in the same situation where there were no seats to be assigned. When I checked in at the Admirals Club the agent noticed I didn't have a seat, and I told him I would check back prior to departing, but he mentioned there was a software bug right now that reserved some first seats when they shouldn't have been reserved and was quickly able to get me a seat. So perhaps this is also a reason.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.