Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAs made us count off several times

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2019, 8:05 pm

Programs: AA - Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Gold, National - Exec, Amtrak - Select, NEXUS
Originally Posted by Catbert10
At least the FA didn't read off the manifest and make everyone answer "Present".
From my days of riding the short bus (I was going to the smart kid class!) and taking attendance when we arrived at the special school:

"gift"
"future"
"past"
"not present"
"here"
"there"
"not here"

We would answer anything but "present" to the great annoyance of the staff member. I wonder if that would be interfering with crew?
Old Jan 2, 2019, 8:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Did the employee wear a campaign hat while asking you to sound off?
Old Jan 2, 2019, 9:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
I would be saying "what?" in response to them asking me to count. If they would make me deplane after refusing to count, I'm sure my lawyer would have a field day with AA.
Proudelitist likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 10:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Catbert10
At least the FA didn't read off the manifest and make everyone answer "Present".
Or "Ho"..........as Sergeant Toomey used to tell us during basic training in Biloxi, MS
Of course, he had a metal plate in his head.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 9:57 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Plat, VS Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
I'm stunned people think this is such a big deal. It takes all of two minutes.

I've had FAs ask us to count off probably once every 2-3 years since I started flying. It's always on a regional jet and it's always a paperwork discrepancy between the GA/FA paperwork. I've certainly had it happen on CO/NW/AA in the past, though I couldn't tell you the operating carrier.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 10:01 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Proudelitist
Wouldn't it be easier and more efficient to just count empty seats? If you know how many seats there are on the aircraft (and hopefully the FAs do) just subtract the empties.
Lap infants need to be included in the count.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 11:49 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
Originally Posted by oopsz
I'm stunned people think this is such a big deal. It takes all of two minutes.

I've had FAs ask us to count off probably once every 2-3 years since I started flying. It's always on a regional jet and it's always a paperwork discrepancy between the GA/FA paperwork. I've certainly had it happen on CO/NW/AA in the past, though I couldn't tell you the operating carrier.
Should we go to the galley and get our own food and offload our bags as well (Being PHL-based, I wouldn't be opposed to this)? I certainly don't ask my clients to do my job for me. You're on record as saying you've done it on RJs. That's even more sad if an FA needs help counting on an RJ.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 12:59 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Accor Silver, Virgin Australia Gold
Originally Posted by Uncle Nonny
Should we go to the galley and get our own food and offload our bags as well (Being PHL-based, I wouldn't be opposed to this)? I certainly don't ask my clients to do my job for me. You're on record as saying you've done it on RJs. That's even more sad if an FA needs help counting on an RJ.
Absolutely .quite agree. Now we check our own bags in often on flights, make sure we print and download own boarding cards, Q to board, Q to clear immigration, put up with all sorts at security, to scared to say "boo" to crew in the event of being misconstrued as being "aggressive", accept poor service, and hope to god the pilots get us from A to B. Ummmm why do we fly again?? 😂
Old Jan 3, 2019, 1:05 pm

Come on, counting is hard. And, not required:

https://jobs.aa.com/job/Dallas-Train...201/525426200/
Old Jan 3, 2019, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by investigador
Today’s domestic flight had a weird element to it. Before takeoff a FA had pax count from one up to last person and got mad if people lost track or got confused, and she even made a PA announcement to scold us. Anyone ever seen this before?
How many times before they got the count? I find it odd that not only could they not get it right by their own count, they then had multiples tries at having the paxs count off
Old Jan 4, 2019, 9:19 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by DCP2016
I would be saying "what?" in response to them asking me to count. If they would make me deplane after refusing to count, I'm sure my lawyer would have a field day with AA.
Still don't understand why you wouldn't just say the correct number. This is NOT the hill to die on by anyone's code.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 8:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by iadisgreat
Still don't understand why you wouldn't just say the correct number. This is NOT the hill to die on by anyone's code.
Yeah, how hard is it to say a number and let everyone get on with their day?
Old Jan 5, 2019, 11:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just don't see how this is even possible. Is everyone on the plane required to speak english and understand what the FA is asking of them?

I'd sure hate to be asked to count in some foreign language while traveling.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 11:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by deeruck
Yeah, how hard is it to say a number and let everyone get on with their day?
Apparently hard. After failing to do their own head count successfully, OP reports they had passengers count off multiple times.
If it had been a play by Bill Shakespeare, it would be called "The Comedy of Errors"
Old Jan 5, 2019, 11:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by spongenotbob
Come on, counting is hard. And, not required:

https://jobs.aa.com/job/Dallas-Train...201/525426200/
"• Ability to lift objects up to 35 pounds such as galley stowage bins and carry-on baggage"
So, is it ok if I asked them to stow my carry-on?
nivsy likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.