Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Does Admirals Club renewal allow 30 (or more) days grace?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2016, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold

Hey all,

Does the AC have a renewal grace period - like 90 days after expiration or something? My membership expired at the beginning of November. Of course, my travel was done for the year and expected to pick up early next year. I didn't want to pay for something I wasn't going to use for a couple months and throw away those months.

Also, will the renewal put the new expiration a year from the date I pay, or a year from when it expired?

Thanks!
Old Dec 16, 2016, 10:55 am

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
IIRC, I missed my expiration date earlier this year and was able to renew on-line at standard renewal price. It was less than thirty days after renewal when I did so. My expiration date, again IIRC, was one year after my prior expiration date, not one year from my renewal date (which makes sense to me).

I have no idea what (if any) official policy is regarding grace period though.
Old Dec 16, 2016, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by Superguy
will the renewal put the new expiration a year from the date I pay, or a year from when it expired?
You can't have it both ways. If you are within the grace period, your renewal date will be the same next year as it was this year.
Old Dec 16, 2016, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
But I want it both ways!

Thanks for the info though. I'll probably wait until after the holiday when my Amex airline fee credit kicks in again.
Old Dec 16, 2016, 12:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
I let my AC membership expire shortly after the banking of hubs went into place and I couldn't justify the few times I would be in the club and limited amounts of time I would have in the AC's. Then AA's operations went into the toilet and I realized I needed the AAngel help so walked up one day and mentioned I would like to renew and they honored my EXP renewal rate which at that point was still $350.
Old Dec 17, 2016, 8:17 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by _kurt
You can't have it both ways. If you are within the grace period, your renewal date will be the same next year as it was this year.
I do this with my Costco memberships, always let them expire and then re-new a month or two later. This effectively gives me a 14 month year 😁
Old Dec 17, 2016, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by matrixwalker2012
I do this with my Costco memberships, always let them expire and then re-new a month or two later. This effectively gives me a 14 month year 😁
The reason I know this doesn't work with the Admirals Club is that I tried it my first year as a member!
Old Dec 20, 2016, 6:12 am

Programs: AA EXP & 3MM, Priority Club Plat since 1984
There used to be a 30 day grace period, I cannot testify as to whether it is still in effect. I renew December 31 each year, makes it easy to remember.

When I renewed in 2015 on January 7, there was no problem, and yes, it remained at December 31 for cut off.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 6:28 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
My membership expired in August, I let it go until mid November when I knew that with my wife and daughter flying it be useful, got my new cards yesterday and on the card it says member since 2014
Old Dec 20, 2016, 9:21 am

This thread had me come up with a question. Can someone explain why AC membership card makes more sense versus Citibank Exec Credit Card that gives you AC membership?
Old Dec 20, 2016, 10:13 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, National Executive Elite, Hotels.com Gold
AC membership will also give you access to Alaska Board Room Lounges, whereas the Citi Executive will not, which is one benefit to the AC membership in certain parts of the country.

Some people are not able to get approval for the Citi Executive, some people are able to expense the AC membership, but not a personal credit card membership, etc.

Personally, I have an Alaska Airlines Lounge membership (a bit cheaper than AC membership), which gives me access to all of the AC's (along with Alaska's lounges of course). I didn't want/need another credit card just for lounge membership, especially when my company will reimburse the lounge membership fees.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 10:14 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Centurion
This thread had me come up with a question. Can someone explain why AC membership card makes more sense versus Citibank Exec Credit Card that gives you AC membership?
To each his own. I switched to the Executive card for the benefits I get, which more than makes up for the difference in pure membership vs. card fee. (Member since 1986, switched to Executive card soon after it came out.)
Old Dec 20, 2016, 3:32 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by DrinkRaiderade
AC membership will also give you access to Alaska Board Room Lounges, whereas the Citi Executive will not, which is one benefit to the AC membership in certain parts of the country.
The Citi Executive card includes AC membership, not just access, so primary cardholders have the exact same access privileges as any other member. I've used my Citi Executive membership at both the Board Room in LAX and the JAL Sakura lounge in FRA. Any lounge that allows an Admirals Club member access also allows access to the primary Citi card member, because that person is an Admirals Club member.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.