Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

American just plane lying. Seats booked in March, changed in November.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

American just plane lying. Seats booked in March, changed in November.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2018, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Tljax
LOL, When they cancelled our seats we were assigned 7A and 9G.... This will pretty much do it for me. Member since the mid 80's, I have some miles to burn but cancelling the credit cards and moving on.. No more loyalty to American.
Aircraft changes happens with ALL airlines, and seats get switched.
As I understand it, this is probably the first time you have ever experienced this in all of your years of flying AA.
What are the odds it will happen again on AA? What are the odds it will happened on another airline?
Old Dec 11, 2018, 11:36 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
It sounds likely you were FAMed, and AA personnel (well, all airline personnel) are prohibited from telling you that. So, they’ll tell you it was because of an equipment change, because the cat jumped over the moon, etc. but ne Er you were FAMed. Sorry, it happens. And when equipment does change, AA is rotten at handling existing seat assignments. Not that it’s the only airline that’s rotten at this.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 11:40 am
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Originally Posted by JDiver
It sounds likely you were FAMed, and AA personnel (well, all airline personnel) are prohibited from telling you that. So, they’ll tell you it was because of an equipment change, because the cat jumped over the moon, etc. but ne Er you were FAMed. Sorry, it happens. And when equipment does change, AA is rotten at handling existing seat assignments. Not that it’s the only airline that’s rotten at this.
Actually, I would say that OP was told it was FAM. Because they said "operational reason" and, that far in advance, that means FAM to me.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 11:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
IME FAMs are assigned to flights very close to departure. If there's a seat change far in advance. I would assume that it is not a FAM situation.

When I've lost seats due to an apparent FAM, it's been at check in or at the gate.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 11:46 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by sbrower
Actually, I would say that OP was told it was FAM. Because they said "operational reason" and, that far in advance, that means FAM to me.
Sure, we understand the “code” wording. But the OP originally claimed his seats were “cancelled” rather than changed (I edited the title), so the OP may not be aware of the subtext.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 12:36 pm

Programs: CK or bust
When traveling with the in-laws in the same row, I make it a point to wear my signature "FAM ME" shirt and volunteer my seat to any FAM-ish looking types (and for that matter, anyone at all) to take advantage of this very scenario.

Enjoy the 772 to Hawaii, it's surely better than its predecessors on that route!
apeortdz likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 12:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
"Operational reasons" could mean anything. While it is usually a FAM, it could also be a CK who made a fuss. Phone agents don't know the underlying reason, all they know is "operational reason" and they are left to make up something because, if it is a FAM, they are in trouble with DHS and, if it is the CEO's brother, they are in trouble with their employer.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 10:54 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
On a transatlantic UA flight there was a 60-ish (at least) couple seated next to each other in the front cabin. They were very upset with the FA and demanded different seats. Why? Because the privacy divider made them feel too far apart! The FA kept explaining that this was the only configuration available. Finally, she offered to seat them in economy if anyone was willing to switch. I was hoping to see every hand in economy go up if they asked for volunteers, but the couple eventually decided to make do. I think they found fault with the champagne, too...

While Mrs. TXIrish and I usually try to get adjacent seats, we've been able to deal with the trauma of being separated for a few hours.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by txirish
On a transatlantic UA flight there was a 60-ish (at least) couple seated next to each other in the front cabin. They were very upset with the FA and demanded different seats. Why? Because the privacy divider made them feel too far apart! The FA kept explaining that this was the only configuration available. Finally, she offered to seat them in economy if anyone was willing to switch. I was hoping to see every hand in economy go up if they asked for volunteers, but the couple eventually decided to make do. I think they found fault with the champagne, too...

While Mrs. TXIrish and I usually try to get adjacent seats, we've been able to deal with the trauma of being separated for a few hours.
That's actually a good point. With the way the seats sit at an angle and the dividers, even if you are seated next to someone, talking to someone may be difficult when seated.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 11:21 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Tljax
Last March for our anniversary, My wife and I booked First out to Hawaii and back this January with seats next to each other 4D, 4H in B772 1-2-1 configuration.
EQ change email this October, with confirmation email of same seats, same aircraft, only a slight change in time.

In November during a reservation check. I see seats are now 7A and 9G. I call AA and am told of an equipment change, seats are moved to 4G and 5G by CSA, but our seats 4D, 4H are gone. We won't see each other the entire flight.

After further review and questions to CSA, again they claim EQ change, but I show them email confirmation 'after' EQ change with originally booked seats... After I proved them incorrect (twice), I was told seats were 'cancelled' in November (exact date in transcript) for 'operational reasons'. Although no email notification was sent of seat cancellation. CSA stated that they are not required to send notification of seat cancellation, only EQ or time changes.

When we booked in March, seats were wide open. Since every seat has access to an aisle, I find it difficult to believe we were moved for a FAM.

Yes, The carrier has the 'right' to move seats, but this is a pretty bad example for American giving our selected seats to another customer.

Has anyone ever successfully lobbied to get there selected seats back?
LX has done this to me 3x recently, 1 time even after OLCI , seems if theres a HON or SEN thats a LX member LX will take care of them and displace whomever as long as the displaced passenger is not equal or higher in LX (M&M) status For this past Sun flight it meant no leg room , a good thing I had an aisle seat as I lifted the arm rest turned sideways and put my legs in the aisle only way I was able to sit in my seat, and there wasnt any change of equipment from when I booked!
Old Dec 12, 2018, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by wrp96
That's actually a good point. With the way the seats sit at an angle and the dividers, even if you are seated next to someone, talking to someone may be difficult when seated.
An excellent point and furthermore, depending on who you are talking to, talking can be equally as difficult even when standing or looking straight at them so it's not always a question of dividers.

I always think carefully about who I might be talking to before selecting my seats
Old Dec 12, 2018, 11:41 am

Programs: HH, Asiana club, Elevated, Skymiles, Fairmont President's Club
Operational reasons

Spring 2018 AA switched equipment from our ROM-ORD flight, from 777-200 to 767 with old Business hard product, from their great 1-2-1 lay flat reverse herringbone configuration, to 2-2-2 angle-flat seats, no warning, no email, and assigned scattered seating, we were able to change seats and sit together, but was very extremely uncomfortable, and before you start criticizing, for health reasons I pay a premium for business class so I am able to fly long haul. Not only AA has a bad habit of doing that, but service was terrible, needless to say that’s the last I flew with American.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by ZJ3000
one Spring 2018 AA switch equipment from our ROM-ORD flight, from 777-200 to 767 with old Business hard product, from their great 1-2-1 lay flat reverse herringbone configuration, to 2-2-2 angle-flat seats, no warning, no email, and assigned scattered seating, we were able to change seats and sit together, but was very extremely uncomfortable, and before you start criticizing, for health reasons I pay a premium for business class so I am able to fly long haul. Not only AA has a bad habit of doing that, but service was terrible, needless to say that’s the last I flew with American.
Welcome back to the American Airlines Forum !

PS: I'd be pretty disappointed if I went from 772 to a 767. If I didn't have to crawl over my seat opponent, I'd even prefer the now retrofitted 757s over the 767s.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 11:47 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
They did this to me last year and I got a raft of crap from the FT cosignoti for complaining about being swapped from 1A to 2A, despite having picked that seat well in advance.

Originally Posted by ZJ3000
Spring 2018 AA switched equipment from our ROM-ORD flight, from 777-200 to 767 with old Business hard product, from their great 1-2-1 lay flat reverse herringbone configuration, to 2-2-2 angle-flat seats, no warning, no email, and assigned scattered seating, we were able to change seats and sit together, but was very extremely uncomfortable, and before you start criticizing, for health reasons I pay a premium for business class so I am able to fly long haul. Not only AA has a bad habit of doing that, but service was terrible, needless to say that’s the last I flew with American.
We had AA do that a year or two ago on CDG-JFK. I don't believe that configuration exists any longer, but I'm pretty sure they were using it to prevent oversells in Europe for a while, as it had a few more seats.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 11:49 am

Programs: AA, DL Platinum, AS, AF/KL, UA, VS, HA, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
In my experience in the 777 forward cabin, it's easier to talk/interact with with someone directly in front or behind you than side-by-side in the center section.
Originally Posted by SFO777
Hard to imagine that one of those H pax wouldn't swap similar inside aisle to inside aisle seats once on board. Offer to buy them drinks for the entire flight.
Hah!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.