FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   American just plane lying. Seats booked in March, changed in November. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1945171-american-just-plane-lying-seats-booked-march-changed-november.html)

Tljax Dec 11, 2018 6:39 am

American just plane lying. Seats booked in March, changed in November.

Last March for our anniversary, My wife and I booked First out to Hawaii and back this January with seats next to each other 4D, 4H in B772 1-2-1 configuration.
EQ change email this October, with confirmation email of same seats, same aircraft, only a slight change in time.

In November during a reservation check. I see seats are now 7A and 9G. I call AA and am told of an equipment change, seats are moved to 4G and 5G by CSA, but our seats 4D, 4H are gone. We won't see each other the entire flight.

After further review and questions to CSA, again they claim EQ change, but I show them email confirmation 'after' EQ change with originally booked seats... After I proved them incorrect (twice), I was told seats were 'cancelled' in November (exact date in transcript) for 'operational reasons'. Although no email notification was sent of seat cancellation. CSA stated that they are not required to send notification of seat cancellation, only EQ or time changes.

When we booked in March, seats were wide open. Since every seat has access to an aisle, I find it difficult to believe we were moved for a FAM.

Yes, The carrier has the 'right' to move seats, but this is a pretty bad example for American giving our selected seats to another customer.

Has anyone ever successfully lobbied to get there selected seats back?

SFO777 Dec 11, 2018 6:55 am

Unfortunately, this happens at AA and it's unlikely that AA will do anything about it at this point. In future, set a seat alert on EF.

Originally Posted by Tljax (Post 30522453)
We won't see each other the entire flight.

Frustrating, yes. End of the world, not so much. You are in consecutive G seats in the same forward cabin, with other (presumably single pax) assigned to consecutive H seats in your same rows. Hard to imagine that one of those H pax wouldn't swap similar inside aisle to inside aisle seats once on board. Offer to buy them drinks for the entire flight. ;)

C17PSGR Dec 11, 2018 6:57 am

Do you have an ExpertFlyer subscription where you can set a seat alert? People are moving their seats all the time. Good chance you'll get lucky and something will open next to one of your seats.

SFO777 Dec 11, 2018 7:00 am

Originally Posted by C17PSGR (Post 30522488)
Do you have an ExpertFlyer subscription where you can set a seat alert? People are moving their seats all the time. Good chance you'll get lucky and something will open next to one of your seats.

+1
Also, set an alert for all the inside pairs. I had that happen on MIA-LAX flights a week before departure when the cabin had otherwise looked bleak.

Tljax Dec 11, 2018 7:00 am

Good call on Expert Flyer. I used to have a subscription when I was EXP. Since changing jobs and having a life outside of airports, I let the subscription and status slide. I will set up some seat alerts and see if anything opens..

Thanks.

Tljax Dec 11, 2018 8:11 am

Originally Posted by SFO777 (Post 30522484)
with other (presumably single pax) assigned to consecutive H seats in your same rows.

Normally, I would agree, but not with the HNL-DFW city pair. While there will be a few, I expect 80-90% couples.

samwise6222 Dec 11, 2018 8:26 am

Originally Posted by SFO777 (Post 30522484)
Unfortunately, this happens at AA and it's unlikely that AA will do anything about it at this point. In future, set a seat alert on EF.

Frustrating, yes. End of the world, not so much. You are in consecutive G seats in the same forward cabin, with other (presumably single pax) assigned to consecutive H seats in your same rows. Hard to imagine that one of those H pax wouldn't swap similar inside aisle to inside aisle seats once on board. Offer to buy them drinks for the entire flight. ;)

Originally Posted by Tljax (Post 30522739)
Normally, I would agree, but not with the HNL-DFW city pair. While there will be a few, I expect 80-90% couples.

Am I the only one who loves to sit away from my wife? I already spend too much time with her already!

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...bd53f3870f.png
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...b3cbc84365.png
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...ab0d53ae2b.png

dkc192 Dec 11, 2018 8:32 am

OP, are you sure there wasn't an actual equipment change? G seats don't exist in J on a 772--they are A-DH-L.

MSPeconomist Dec 11, 2018 8:34 am

I hope you don't talk over 5A. Enjoy the view, both of you.

I can't resist pointing out that when I saw the thread title, I thought OP was accusing an AA aircraft of lying or maybe just lying around somewhere. OTOH, it's true that I've never really understood the difference between plain lies and fancy lies.

Tljax Dec 11, 2018 8:36 am

LOL, When they cancelled our seats we were assigned 7A and 9G.... This will pretty much do it for me. Member since the mid 80's, I have some miles to burn but cancelling the credit cards and moving on.. No more loyalty to American.

enviroian Dec 11, 2018 8:49 am

Lyin' Leakin' AA!

LOL

QueenOfCoach Dec 11, 2018 9:09 am

We'll just call it "Airline-1" from now on.

LadyPhoenix Dec 11, 2018 9:44 am

Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach (Post 30522953)
We'll just call it "Airline-1" from now on.

Well played!

skippythelizard Dec 11, 2018 10:01 am

Originally Posted by dkc192 (Post 30522819)
OP, are you sure there wasn't an actual equipment change? G seats don't exist in J on a 772--they are A-DH-L.

+1

I see A-DH-L on my upcoming Hawaii 772 flights.

A-DG-? suggests the 77W?

Carl Christensen Dec 11, 2018 11:09 am

Originally Posted by Tljax (Post 30522833)
LOL, When they cancelled our seats we were assigned 7A and 9G.... This will pretty much do it for me. Member since the mid 80's, I have some miles to burn but cancelling the credit cards and moving on.. No more loyalty to American.

<redacted>

I would understand if you were downgrade from 1st to economy. But, at most it is a minor irritation to no longer having side by side seats with your spouse. I like flying by my spouse so we have shared experiences but "No more loyalty to American" because of that? Come on really?