Main Cabin Extra pricing model?

Old Dec 6, 18, 11:05 am
Original Poster

Main Cabin Extra pricing model?

I apologize if this has been previously discussed. Does anyone have insight to share on the pricing model for MCE seating? I recently found an incredible $324 deal with flights from ORD-CLT-MUC and back next April. The TATL leg is on a A330 so happy to have a section of two with no middle seats. Although CLT-MUC isn't a terribly long flight, the thought of MCE seating is nice. When I originally booked the tickets in late October, MCE seats were priced at ~$170 (but luckily I could reserve 29A-B at no charge). As of this morning, MCE pricing has dropped to $121 per seat. Is there an "average" price for MCE on TATL flights? Should I expect prices to stay consistent, possibly drop more, or even increase depending on demand? I've directed most of my flight to *A partners so don't have much experience with AA's MCE. I'm taking another trip to HEL via LHR in August and am contemplating the same issue - jump now or hold. Thanks in advance for any advice/information!
Old Dec 6, 18, 11:16 am

Programs: AA Gold, DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry, SPG/Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by AAguy1979 View Post
I apologize if this has been previously discussed. Does anyone have insight to share on the pricing model for MCE seating? I recently found an incredible $324 deal with flights from ORD-CLT-MUC and back next April. The TATL leg is on a A330 so happy to have a section of two with no middle seats. Although CLT-MUC isn't a terribly long flight, the thought of MCE seating is nice. When I originally booked the tickets in late October, MCE seats were priced at ~$170 (but luckily I could reserve 29A-B at no charge). As of this morning, MCE pricing has dropped to $121 per seat. Is there an "average" price for MCE on TATL flights? Should I expect prices to stay consistent, possibly drop more, or even increase depending on demand? I've directed most of my flight to *A partners so don't have much experience with AA's MCE. I'm taking another trip to HEL via LHR in August and am contemplating the same issue - jump now or hold. Thanks in advance for any advice/information!
I have seen in my limited experience that bulkhead MCE (788) cost more than regular MCE, and aisle/window are not the same price as middle. So when you say it has dropped to $121, is it a comparable seat to what you purchased? Sorry I cannot give clear advice on your next trip.
Old Dec 6, 18, 11:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gig103 View Post
I have seen in my limited experience that bulkhead MCE (788) cost more than regular MCE, and aisle/window are not the same price as middle. So when you say it has dropped to $121, is it a comparable seat to what you purchased? Sorry I cannot give clear advice on your next trip.
Given the configuration of the 332, almost all MCE seats are window/aisle or the bulkhead. Across the board, all of the available MCE seats dropped to $121 from $170. I agree regarding 788 flight to LHR, window and aisle seats always cost more than a middle. I haven't purchased any seats thus far, just selected free seats further back in the cabin. Just trying to determine if there's a potential for prices to go lower on MCE before I commit. Thank!
Old Dec 6, 18, 12:25 pm

Programs: AA GLD, IHG PLT
They really can fluctuate up until the day of, there isn't a set rhyme or reason. If you wait too long, elites can pick MCE for free though, so they will eventually fill up.
Old Dec 6, 18, 12:48 pm
PHL

Programs: AA Platinum, MR LR Platinum Premier
For your HEL trip, you might also check Finnair via JFK or MIA to avoid the LHR connection.

They have a nice Economy plus type of service. It's not Premium Economy, but in my experience it's a step above AA's MCE.
Old Dec 6, 18, 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by Gig103 View Post
I wouldn’t expect to pay lower than $121 for TATL MCE. Price is dynamic but it will never be as low as 50 bucks. United or delta sell TATL e+ at around 180-200 bucks
Old Dec 6, 18, 10:28 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, WS Gold, Marriott Silver, SPG Silver, Radisson Gold
Originally Posted by AAguy1979 View Post
I apologize if this has been previously discussed. Does anyone have insight to share on the pricing model for MCE seating?
It's (A+M)*A+T (C*G) [FWUTBF]

For quite a while now