Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Award booking: Different pricing based on itinerary?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2018, 6:55 pm
Original Poster

I'm looking to book an award ticket in business class from MIA to MAD sometime in the summer (date is flexible). If I search for that exact itinerary, I find availability on Tuesday July 16 on AA68 for 110K miles. But, if I search from LGA to MAD, I get an itinerary from LGA-MIA-MAD, with the exact same AA68 flight from MIA to MAD, for 57.5K miles. Is there a way to get the business class MIA-MAD ticket alone for 57.5K?

Old Dec 5, 2018, 7:02 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by cartuner
I'm looking to book an award ticket in business class from MIA to MAD sometime in the summer (date is flexible). If I search for that exact itinerary, I find availability on Tuesday July 16 on AA68 for 110K miles. But, if I search from LGA to MAD, I get an itinerary from LGA-MIA-MAD, with the exact same AA68 flight from MIA to MAD, for 57.5K miles. Is there a way to get the business class MIA-MAD ticket alone for 57.5K?
Nope, not by booking, AFAIK.

You might try looking at other, non-hub airports you can reposition to more easily, or try dropping the first segment later if it conforms to the following, from https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...ancel-etc.html.

Segments can be dropped as long as doing so does not change the destination zone (or sub-zone, in the case of intra-North America awards). If you are refused, refer agents to the in-house memo/advisory dated 02/03/11 entitled "Dropping OWFA segments." (guv1976)
Old Dec 5, 2018, 8:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA Exp
This is amazing. And JDiver I took a screenshot of the memo to have for later.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 4:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
To answer the first question, this is married segment availability and has become very common on AA over the past year.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...-segments.html
JDiver likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by SJWarrior
This is amazing. And JDiver I took a screenshot of the memo to have for later.
Be warned, though: Despite that memo, you might have trouble dropping the first segment if there is only married-segment SAAver availability on the MIA-MAD flight when you attempt to do so.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 7:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA Exp
Originally Posted by guv1976
Be warned, though: Despite that memo, you might have trouble dropping the first segment if there is only married-segment SAAver availability on the MIA-MAD flight when you attempt to do so.
thanks I am warned and slowly learning
Old Dec 6, 2018, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by guv1976
Did you have this experience? Are they really going to check if there was only married segment availability on the date you booked the flight, even if it was months before?

Last edited by mvoight; Dec 6, 2018 at 8:59 pm
Old Dec 7, 2018, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by mvoight
Did you have this experience? Are they really going to check if there was only married segment availability on the date you booked the flight, even if it was months before?
I have not had to drop a segment on an award in a few years, but I believe I have seen one or two other posts here on FT from members who had trouble doing so after award ticketing due to married-segment issues. YMMV.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 12:30 pm

Programs: CK or bust
It's such a thoughtful name for a relatively anti-consumer practice. "Married segments" sounds pleasant until you know what it's all about versus "in-law segments" which already leaves you with a sinking feeling just hearing its name.

Just makes you want to be an AA holiday hero !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.