How to request ride to gate?

Old Dec 4, 18, 11:23 am
Original Poster

How to request ride to gate?

My wife often walks with a cane and sometimes has trouble walking distances. How can we arrange for one of the carts to take us from security to the gate (or lounge), etc.? Is it possible to just flag down a cart or does it have to be arranged in advance?

EDIT: We usually fly out of JFK. Typical destinations would be in Europe, such as LHR, FCO, CDG. Next trip is to MXP.

Last edited by richarddd; Dec 4, 18 at 12:45 pm
Old Dec 4, 18, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by richarddd View Post
My wife often walks with a cane and sometimes has trouble walking distances. How can we arrange for one of the carts to take us from security to the gate (or lounge)? Is it possible to just flag down a cart or does it have to be arranged in advance?
I would call AA in advance. Once in the lounge they will arrange for a cart to the gate. I've seen carts stop when empty offer rides to those appearing to struggle to walk but I wouldn't count on it.
Old Dec 4, 18, 11:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
What airport?
Old Dec 4, 18, 12:00 pm
C46

Just call AA and request 'Meet & Assist' (MAAS)-service.
Old Dec 4, 18, 12:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by C46 View Post
Just call AA and request 'Meet & Assist' (MAAS)-service.
Does AA charge an extra fee for this? Is it available at all airports served by AA?
Old Dec 4, 18, 12:13 pm

Programs: ex-US Gold, Accor Silver, AF apologist
When my father flew last summer after a hip injury, I tried calling AA to get the cart service. We were told that it could only be ordered at the airport. In the end, we requested wheel chair assistance and they were waiting at the gate for him (in both ORD and PHL). From that experience, I was under the impression that the carts can only be done at the airport itself.
Old Dec 4, 18, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
What airport?

At many, there are no carts. It may be a wheelchair. Some details would mean that you will get a great deal more useful information.

One may always call ahead, but there are very few airports where anything really happens until you arrive at the airport.
Old Dec 4, 18, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Some airports will provide wheelchair assistance and others may provide assistance through electric cart service. You can request special assistance when making your booking on aa.com.
From aa.com:

Request special assistance on aa.com

When booking on aa.com choose “special assistance required” when filling out your passenger details, there you can:
  • Request wheelchair service
  • Request individual assistance if you have a hearing, vision, cognitive or developmental disability
  • State if you’re traveling with any electric medical equipment or a service animal (notice is required within 48 hours of your flight)
Old Dec 4, 18, 2:54 pm

Programs: AA
It really depends on the airport and it is best to arrange it in advance rather than just trying to flag down a cart. Last time I needed cart assistance, it took 45 minutes for one to arrive. Be aware at LHR wheelchair assistance is handled by the airport not the airlines and can be more of a miss than a hit. And it must be arranged in advance.
Old Dec 5, 18, 4:53 am

Or you could just be like the couple I saw in MIA the other day who jumped in front of a moving cart and started screaming at the driver to take them somewhere.