Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA A321T 3 class Flagship 2x a day BOS-LAX 2 Apr - 5 Sep 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA A321T 3 class Flagship 2x a day BOS-LAX 2 Apr - 5 Sep 2019

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2019, 12:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP
A321t lax-bos

What happened to the A321T between Boston and LAX? Can't seem to find it for any flights this month. It started in April and was a nice option:
Newsroom - American Airlines Introduces Premium A321T Aircraft to Transcontinental Service Between Los Angeles and Boston - American Airlines Group, Inc.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 12:57 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Discontinued as of yesterday. I was on the 6:30 AM flights on Tuesday, last day.

one of the best flights I’ve had on AA. Great service, ok food. Half hour early, gate ready, priority bags off first.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 1:11 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by beachfan
Discontinued as of yesterday. I was on the 6:30 AM flights on Tuesday, last day.

one of the best flights I’ve had on AA. Great service, ok food. Half hour early, gate ready, priority bags off first.
That's why they cancelled it. Can't have people getting their hopes up that things will go well.
Antarius likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 8:18 am

Programs: AA PLT, Marriott LTP
Very disappointing. Add to that we now no longer have access to the Flagship Lounge.
UA and Jetblue seem to be able to make planes with lay flat seats work from BOS to the west coast.
I guess there's the answer. Want lay flat, improved service use the other guys....
Old Sep 6, 2019, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BMWMOT
UA and Jetblue seem to be able to make planes with lay flat seats work from BOS to the west coast.
Well, it's a bit more complicated than just "fly a plane with lay flat seats." AA's configuration was notably less dense, and thus cost more to operate on a per unit basis, and I suppose they couldn't get the revenue premium needed. Probably because there was no demand for the front F cabin. I guess even selling 30 J seats and doing op-ups couldn't be enough.
jcatman and Antarius like this.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 12:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Originally Posted by BMWMOT
Very disappointing. Add to that we now no longer have access to the Flagship Lounge.
I guess there's the answer. Want lay flat, improved service use the other guys....
or better yet, at the slightest sign of a competitive counter response by the competition, retreat with tail between legs.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 3:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
FWIW UA is swapping one of its two daily 752 (with 16 flat beds up front) frequencies for a 738/739 sometime this fall/winter (can't remember exactly when). This is the daytime flight eastbound and evening flight westbound. The redeye flight eastbound and morning flight westbound will retain the 752 for now.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Well, it's a bit more complicated than just "fly a plane with lay flat seats." AA's configuration was notably less dense, and thus cost more to operate on a per unit basis, and I suppose they couldn't get the revenue premium needed. Probably because there was no demand for the front F cabin. I guess even selling 30 J seats and doing op-ups couldn't be enough.
If they sold 30 J seats at the Flagship Business price, this route would be all 321T. The issue is, these flights were C3+ regularly - I used to miles + copay my mother to J with no issues.

The morning flight was horribly timed for any west coast connection as well.

To your point, AA needs a 12-16 seat lay flat J config. 10 F and 30 J with half of the tiny Y being MCE isnt going to work on a lot of routes.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by george 3
or better yet, at the slightest sign of a competitive counter response by the competition, retreat with tail between legs.
Pretty simplistic view on this IMO. AA failed on this route from the get go, not that they were successful and then got pushed out (which is true on some routes elsewhere).

This was the wrong configuration with less than ideal timings. The competition had little to do with this.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 7:34 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Originally Posted by Antarius
Pretty simplistic view on this IMO. AA failed on this route from the get go, not that they were successful and then got pushed out (which is true on some routes elsewhere).

This was the wrong configuration with less than ideal timings. The competition had little to do with this.
Perhaps, but why not a larger plane with bigger upper class (772?) once a day. Just as I think one 77W a day on the JFK LAX route might be a good use of an idle craft although re-positioning is tricky.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Perhaps, but why not a larger plane with bigger upper class (772?) once a day. Just as I think one 77W a day on the JFK LAX route might be a good use of an idle craft although re-positioning is tricky.
The 772 has 37 J seats. Same issue - there is no way AA sells even half of that. It would be upgrade paradise though.

IMO, AA needs a subfleet of transcon 321s/737 MAX, that fit in between the domestic fleet and the 321T. 16 lay flats.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 10:00 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
The 757L with 16 lie flat seats would be good for BOS-LAX. But that is if AA has a spare 75L and can rotate it to BOS or LAX - I don't think AA schedules 757s in LAX these days.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 10:30 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Even AAs 757L are sorely uncompetitive with no inseat AVOD. AA needs to find a better product/solution with UAs max subfleet rolling out.
Antarius likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 3:57 pm
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Morning or afternooon / evening? Which ever you choose you're going to annoy and probably lose half the clientele.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 4:01 pm
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Originally Posted by AANYC1981

Even AAs 757L are sorely uncompetitive with no inseat AVOD. AA needs to find a better product/solution with UAs max subfleet rolling out.
Matbe AA shouldn't have let all those ex-TWA 757s to go to DL. They seem to be working well for Delta after the upgrades Delta did.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.