Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Mementos from AAdvantage Million Miler program - In pictures

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mementos from AAdvantage Million Miler program - In pictures

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2018, 6:38 pm

Programs: DL DM, Ex-AA EXP, HZ Pres, MRT AMB/LTP
Nice find! I'm happy to know I'll never hit that number in my lifetime. Might be an unpopular opinion, but I'm glad there is a AA hall of fame which we will never see again.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 2:59 am

Programs: DL Plat, KL, AA, more
Did he get the pillow from KLM?
Old Dec 8, 2018, 8:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by Fraser
Isn't it the other way round? All miles earned counted towards lifetime status until a couple of years ago, so decent chance only a smaller portion is BIS...
actually a good portion were probably not bis...there were a lot of ways to earn miles at the beginning of the program
Old Dec 8, 2018, 8:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dutchman Flying
Did he get the pillow from KLM?
I can see why you might ask, but my parents whole house is delft blue..so no it was just background.
Dutchman Flying likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 9:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by c1ue
I understand the spirit of the statement "uninflated", but the letter of the statement is possibly not correct.
A frequent flyer on AA would earn 2x miles per mile flown due to FF program bonuses. In addition, there were frequent promotions as well as other means of gaining miles (500 mile upgrades expiring etc). Credit card spend also counted, and AAdvantage Citi credit cards have been around since at least 1998 (when I got one).
There were also promos that could be used in the past such as the infamous US Mint, the cereal boxes, etc. Not saying these were what occurred for the OP's father, but simply noting that there were lots of ways to gain program miles without BIS.
I'd lastly note that the present spend based mileage earnings, for those people like myself who never fly biz/first, make it a lot harder to earn AA miles even if they counted towards MM status.
Irregardless of the above, the fact that 10MM was reached is impressive no matter how you slice it.

just catching up on the posts..he started out as a TWA flyer,. He has a child who has lived overseas for decades so that started the traveling, in addition to business travel..no mint, no cereal boxes, no manufactured spend ..he wouldnt understand or be interested in that..but maybe more interestingly he has used all 12+ million miles ..was very generous with award travel for his family and actually buys miles hese days. He will buy to use for a premium award. .a far cry from the initial awards that were airline tickets, 7 night Marriott awards and a free rental car on a single award or Australia awards where it included 2 domestic awards within Australia And they really were free. He is off in January to meet his newest great grandchildren..number 3 and 4 across the the world. He still enjoys and is able to travel so he's a role model for me..
Old Dec 9, 2018, 8:42 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by c1ue
I understand the spirit of the statement "uninflated", but the letter of the statement is possibly not correct.
A frequent flyer on AA would earn 2x miles per mile flown due to FF program bonuses. In addition, there were frequent promotions as well as other means of gaining miles (500 mile upgrades expiring etc). Credit card spend also counted, and AAdvantage Citi credit cards have been around since at least 1998 (when I got one).
There were also promos that could be used in the past such as the infamous US Mint, the cereal boxes, etc. Not saying these were what occurred for the OP's father, but simply noting that there were lots of ways to gain program miles without BIS.
I'd lastly note that the present spend based mileage earnings, for those people like myself who never fly biz/first, make it a lot harder to earn AA miles even if they counted towards MM status.
Irregardless of the above, the fact that 10MM was reached is impressive no matter how you slice it.
Those came later. Miles earning airline affinity programs began as fairly uncomplicated things. I know, as I’ve flown AA since the mid-1940s, though not exclusively. My first miles bolus to AA was when they took on my ~500k TWA Aviator miles, making me lifetime Gold (which took me by complete surprise). That’s when my @:-) went on and I began learning about AAdvantage, and that was about or just before the time the “golden age” (pudding cups, huge bonuses, etc.) began, iirc. And at that time, these prize items were already history.

Though even with bonuses and credit cards, 10 million miles earned when they were still handing these gifts out is actually pretty awesome. Not like earning 10 million BIS on UA and getting both a 747-400 named for you and getting a party for 20 plus lifetime highest status, but still well done. (I’m a relative pauper, with close to six million, though once I caught on I tried...)
Old Dec 11, 2018, 8:20 pm
Original Poster

I like all the nostalgia and remembrances. There has been a lot of change since these programs were really new and innovative.
JDiver likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.