FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Mementos from AAdvantage Million Miler program - In pictures (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1942384-mementos-aadvantage-million-miler-program-pictures.html)

worldiswide Nov 25, 2018 8:11 pm

Mementos from AAdvantage Million Miler program - In pictures

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...cc37ee3612.jpg
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...e7adf2c699.jpg

Wine stopper from AA

My dad recently retired and while packing up his office we found these two items from AA. Thought this would be a good place to share.

AA100k Nov 25, 2018 9:10 pm

That’s amazing! 10 Million Miles on AA and I’m guessing those were probably all BIS miles judging by the plane livery. I’ve been flying consistently for almost 30 years and I’m only at slightly over 2 million.

fotographer Nov 26, 2018 4:14 am

10 millions miles... amazing... would be nice if AA gave a year pass in F for the year... (I know it would never happen)

Fraser Nov 26, 2018 7:20 am

Originally Posted by AA100k (Post 30466218)
That’s amazing! 10 Million Miles on AA and I’m guessing those were probably all BIS miles judging by the plane livery.

Isn't it the other way round? All miles earned counted towards lifetime status until a couple of years ago, so decent chance only a smaller portion is BIS...

MarkOK Nov 26, 2018 7:38 am

Neat trophy and recognition.

Originally Posted by Fraser (Post 30467346)
Isn't it the other way round? All miles earned counted towards lifetime status until a couple of years ago, so decent chance only a smaller portion is BIS...

Yeah, that is my thought too. Getting 10 Million lifetime miles was hellavu a lot easier not too long ago....

MiamiAirport Formerly NY George Nov 26, 2018 7:57 am

Originally Posted by MarkOK (Post 30467415)
Neat trophy and recognition.

Yeah, that is my thought too. Getting 10 Million lifetime miles was hellavu a lot easier not too long ago....

Today someone flying 500 EQMs a year would take 20 years to hit that mark. That would mean 20 years of flying likely every week of those 20 years, often long haul. I can't imagine what the body would be like after 20 years.

arlflyer Nov 26, 2018 8:11 am

Originally Posted by MarkOK (Post 30467415)
Getting 10 Million lifetime miles was hellavu a lot easier not too long ago....

Yeah, I know someone who has one of the 10M mile planes, and many to most of those miles came through biz spend, not BIS.

mvoight Nov 26, 2018 8:29 am

More than a couple. This changed Jan 1, 2012, so it was almost 7 years ago.

Antarius Nov 26, 2018 11:29 am

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge (Post 30467477)
Today someone flying 500 EQMs a year would take 20 years to hit that mark. That would mean 20 years of flying likely every week of those 20 years, often long haul. I can't imagine what the body would be like after 20 years.

at 500 EQMs a year, it would take 20 thousand years to hit 10 million miles. :p

SeeBuyFly Nov 26, 2018 11:37 am

The spelling error in the subject line is making my eyes bleed.

chrisdenver1 Nov 26, 2018 11:50 am

I was expecting Mentos...the Freshmaker

teemuflyer Nov 26, 2018 11:55 am

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge (Post 30467477)

Not quite EQMs, but rather actual miles (no premium class multipliers that apply to EQMs count).. But I get your intended point. It would be a doozy to achieve for sure.

dave2003 Nov 27, 2018 6:42 am

I think I have a new goal. That plane is crazy cool.

JDiver Nov 27, 2018 7:01 am

U

The facts:

Until 1 Dec 2011, all miles were counted. Of course, no bonus miles existed for some of that time, but by that time every mile earned - credit card, promo, bonus, you name it - counted for Million Miler Status.

AAdvantage Million Miler Program Launched 01 Dec 2011 (master thread)

● The initial Million Miler balance on 1 Dec 2011 included every AAdvantage mile ever earned in the program; after, only base miles shown below count.

● As of 1 Dec 1, 2011, and still accurate July 2017, "Miles earned toward Million Miler status are based on the distance of your flight for travel on American marketed flights or the base miles earned for travel on eligible partner marketed flights." - link
AA offered several “trophy” gifts (such as the pewter “round the world” wine bottle stopper) to those crossing certain miles thresholds - until bonus miles brought massive “inflation” to the AAdvantage Million Miler recognition program. The OP’s dad earned uninflated AA miles, making these quite cool. (I’ve flownAA since the 1940s, but not with the frequency he must have, as I also flew on Aerovías Latino-Americanas, Aerovías Guest, Mexicana, Eastern, Western, Pan Am, Brannif etc. etc. and even lost my original AA account. So many of my account’s nearly 6 million miles include lots of bonus and promo miles.)

c1ue Nov 27, 2018 8:47 am

I understand the spirit of the statement "uninflated", but the letter of the statement is possibly not correct.
A frequent flyer on AA would earn 2x miles per mile flown due to FF program bonuses. In addition, there were frequent promotions as well as other means of gaining miles (500 mile upgrades expiring etc). Credit card spend also counted, and AAdvantage Citi credit cards have been around since at least 1998 (when I got one).
There were also promos that could be used in the past such as the infamous US Mint, the cereal boxes, etc. Not saying these were what occurred for the OP's father, but simply noting that there were lots of ways to gain program miles without BIS.
I'd lastly note that the present spend based mileage earnings, for those people like myself who never fly biz/first, make it a lot harder to earn AA miles even if they counted towards MM status.
Irregardless of the above, the fact that 10MM was reached is impressive no matter how you slice it.