Community
Wiki Posts
Search

East Coast to SFO - A330 or 321T?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2018, 10:30 am

Programs: US-Plt;Concierge key; American AAirpass; Delta Silver;Starwood - Platinum; Amex Cent
Originally Posted by jordyn
I agree that from a pure product comparison, non-stop Mint beats connecting Flagship F. Assuming that BOS is just as convenient as the other options, Mint is definitely a good option.

As to your second point, though: many people who fly paid F sometimes also fly discount economy. It can be useful to gain status from your premium flying to make your cheap flying as pleasant a possible (or just to save money so you don't always have to pay premium fares to get treated decently).
I would agree that mint nonstop is a no brainier. However, IMO, the A321T is by far the best domestic aircraft of any carrier in all 3 travel classes. It has so few people on it which makes everything from overhead to boarding so quick and easy. Coach is so small that service is noticeably better and quicker. I don't think F is worth the bu-up from J, but I book sometimes when F prices is lower - which happens quite a bit for me on last minute trips. While I find a lot of what AA does super crAApy, the A321T is one place where AA vastly outshines the competition.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 11:02 am

Programs: Bonvoy Amb; AA EXP
Originally Posted by TheDudeAbides
But B6 flies Mint nonstop BOS-SFO and return. Mint nonstop >>>> AA 321T F with Flag lounge and dining on a connection in JFK. Mess around with connecting to keep status on AA when already flying paid F... please.
Paid premium nonstop free agency >>>> AA EXP.
So does UA, and they also have lay flat seats.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 11:11 am

Programs: AA Bonsai EXP (2.9 MM), AS MVPG
Originally Posted by Score8
So does UA, and they also have lay flat seats.
Yes, also a better option than connecting on AA. Even pmVX nonstop is a better option IMHO.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 11:18 am

Programs: AA Bonsai EXP (2.9 MM), AS MVPG
Originally Posted by jordyn
...many people who fly paid F sometimes also fly discount economy. It can be useful to gain status from your premium flying to make your cheap flying as pleasant a possible (or just to save money so you don't always have to pay premium fares to get treated decently).
Agreed, and that includes me sometimes, but my approach has been to let status occur organically via whatever nonstop flights I take rather than chasing it.

A few years back, I was happy to chase AA status because upgrades and other perks were plentiful and the F/Y price ratio was greater than today. IMHO, the current model at AA (and all other carriers for that matter) promotes free agency - it's cheaper and definitely faster to fly non-stop and in paid F (if/when the latter is important) than to chase 100k on AA +$15k. $15k buys a lot of paid F and no need to hang around ORD or DFW on Wx and Mx delays and no need to go out of my way just to enjoy AA's surly service.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 11:54 am

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Originally Posted by swingaling
. The design of the J seat is fine, but they're really beat up and cleaning is a joke (the far older 767 J seats have held up much better).
Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but the 767 flatbed J seats are much, much newer than the 330 J seats.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 3:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Independent
I've done the United PS service, and I was rather quite dissapointed in it. Personally I have no problem connecting. and likely, it will be connect via another airline, or even an overnight. I am turning lemons into lemonade this year, the one good outcome of all that has happened was that I was able to set aside some omney to spend the last three months paid first chasing status. Next year (outside of one big trip) it is back to y fares. As I am leisure, getting upgrades is a bit easier for me.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 10:05 pm

Programs: Alaska Gold 75K, AA EXP, United 1K
Originally Posted by Cloudship
I've done the United PS service, and I was rather quite dissapointed in it. Personally I have no problem connecting. and likely, it will be connect via another airline, or even an overnight. I am turning lemons into lemonade this year, the one good outcome of all that has happened was that I was able to set aside some omney to spend the last three months paid first chasing status. Next year (outside of one big trip) it is back to y fares. As I am leisure, getting upgrades is a bit easier for me.
based on what you’ve described I think A321T is the clear winner. You don’t mind connecting, you want the extra EQD so the only thing A332 has going is it’s a wide body and personally I would take F on the 321 over the widebody every day of the week. One of the other benefits of going through JFK is outside of IRROPS if you decide to do a same day flight change you can get a consistent experience on any flight vs in PHL there’s only one a day on the widebody.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 1:53 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, Flying Blue-Silver
This isn't even a remotely close question. Clearly, take the A321T out of JFK. From the Flagship Check-In, to the First Class Dining (don't forget the Krug!), to the far, far superior onboard soft product (I put the hard product at close to coin toss as between the A321T in F and the A332 in domestic F), the decision really makes itself. Having flown both -- aside from the seat/widebody factor, the service on the A332 in domestic F is identical to any other non- A321T/premium transcon route; the A321T is a true world class domestic first class product IMHO.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by PremiumSeat
This isn't even a remotely close question. Clearly, take the A321T out of JFK. From the Flagship Check-In, to the First Class Dining (don't forget the Krug!), to the far, far superior onboard soft product (I put the hard product at close to coin toss as between the A321T in F and the A332 in domestic F), the decision really makes itself. Having flown both -- aside from the seat/widebody factor, the service on the A332 in domestic F is identical to any other non- A321T/premium transcon route; the A321T is a true world class domestic first class product IMHO.
He won't be checking in at JFK flagship check in, since JFK would be a connection
He said up thread he'd have at most an hour for flagship lounge.
I still say 321T over the 330, though, even though the two points you mention are n/a. An hour in the lounge is better than nothing, and there's no equivalent in PHL. If he's early, he might get to enjoy a relaxing meal at the lounge. If he doesn't, he still has a nice ride to Cali
Old Nov 15, 2018, 3:12 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by LovePrunes
He won't be checking in at JFK flagship check in, since JFK would be a connection
Well, just for the sake of experiencing it once, he could exit security and come back through (although they'll have to verify since his name won't be on the little tablet)
Old Nov 15, 2018, 6:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Independent
So explain to me this flagship check-in. I am Platinum, now, I have TSA pre-check. In the morning I download my boarding pass on the app. A little before my flight (usually too little in my case) I walk up to the pre-check line, wait maybe to people to ahead of me and give the agent my license and hold my phone over the scanner. I then walk to the belt, put my bag and suitcase on it, walk through the scanner and pick my stuff up on the other side.

I think it is great for people who don't fly often. But if you are already a frequent customer, what does it add value-wise? Or am I just being a DYKWIA?
Old Nov 15, 2018, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Cloudship
So explain to me this flagship check-in. I am Platinum, now, I have TSA pre-check. In the morning I download my boarding pass on the app. A little before my flight (usually too little in my case) I walk up to the pre-check line, wait maybe to people to ahead of me and give the agent my license and hold my phone over the scanner. I then walk to the belt, put my bag and suitcase on it, walk through the scanner and pick my stuff up on the other side.

I think it is great for people who don't fly often. But if you are already a frequent customer, what does it add value-wise? Or am I just being a DYKWIA?
Flagship Check-In is fine if you're originating in the one of the airports that offer it (JFK, LAX, etc.), it gives you a separate nicer check-in area and quicker path to security. Can be nice if you need to talk to an agent for anything or check bags, etc.

But if you're just connecting through JFK then it is irrelevant.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/plan-travel/...t-check-in.jsp
Old Nov 15, 2018, 8:43 pm

Programs: AA 1MM GLD, Hertz #1 Gold, bunch of other programs w/no status
Originally Posted by morrisunc
However, IMO, the A321T is by far the best domestic aircraft of any carrier in all 3 travel classes. It has so few people on it which makes everything from overhead to boarding so quick and easy. Coach is so small that service is noticeably better and quicker. ... While I find a lot of what AA does super crAApy, the A321T is one place where AA vastly outshines the competition.
+1. The A321T is a nice ride even in coach, and with half the cabin being MCE, even a lowly Gold such as myself can snag a seat at T-24. Hopefully Doug Parker doesn't "Oasi-tize" this one too.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 2:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
Originally Posted by enpremiere
Well, just for the sake of experiencing it once, he could exit security and come back through (although they'll have to verify since his name won't be on the little tablet)
This sounds dreadful. Why voluntarily subject yourself to another security search during a one hour layover?
Old Nov 16, 2018, 3:22 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by ralphs
This sounds dreadful. Why voluntarily subject yourself to another security search during a one hour layover?
Last time I did it, TSA Precheck + FL Check in at JFK took me about seven minutes. YMMV but it's at least an experience if they always wanted to know what it was like.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.