Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Preboarding policy (for passengers with nut / peanut allergies as of 12/12/18)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 10, 2018, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA nut allergic Passenger policy as of 12/12/18.

American Airlines nut allergy policy, aa.com
link

Although we don’t serve peanuts, we do serve other nut products (such as warmed nuts) and there may be trace elements of unspecified nut ingredient, including peanut oils, in meals and snacks. Additionally, other customers can bring peanuts or other tree nuts on board.

We can’t accommodate requests to not serve certain foods, provide nut “buffer zones,” or allow you to board early to clean your area (changes 12/12/2018). Our planes are cleaned regularly, but can’t guarantee the removal of nut allergens on surfaces or in the air filters. Because of this, can’t guarantee you won’t be exposed to peanuts or other tree nuts during flight, and we strongly encourage those with allergies to take all necessary medical precautions before flying.
Additionally, as quoted originally by Bloomberg 9 Nov 2018

American Airlines customers with nut allergies who would like to board our flights early to wipe down surfaces may ask to do so at the gate," said American Airlines spokeswoman Michelle Mohr. The policy was first reported by Bloomberg...

...The new policy was included in a filing with the U.S. Transportation Department on November 6. It comes in response to a complaint filed last year by Food Allergy Research & Education and the mother of a child with a dangerous peanut allergy, Bloomberg reported...

The new policy goes into effect December 12 2018 as flight-service manuals are updated. link
NOTE: this thread is a moderated thread, and jokes or comments derogatory to those with bona fide nut allergies will be summarily removed.

Print Wikipost

Preboarding policy (for passengers with nut / peanut allergies as of 12/12/18)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2018, 7:59 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
"To the German commander. Nuts! From the American commander."
Old Nov 8, 2018, 8:23 am

Programs: AA PPRO, HH Diamond, National EE
So does this boarding happen with wheelchair boarding or when does it really fall into place?
Old Nov 8, 2018, 8:34 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
So what happens if I have a peanut allergy, and boarding in a wheel chair, and am traveling with my emotional support alligator?
Old Nov 8, 2018, 9:20 am

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Originally Posted by hawkfan7314
So does this boarding happen with wheelchair boarding or when does it really fall into place?
Wheelchair,travelling with small children and a service animal who is allergic to nuts=ACE of Trump!
Old Nov 8, 2018, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
This is silly and has gotten out of hand.
LovePrunes likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 10:17 am

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
Originally Posted by cynicAAl
making PDBs
If only....
Old Nov 8, 2018, 11:08 am

Programs: Bonvoy Amb; AA EXP
Originally Posted by gateH15

is American becoming southwest ??
whats next? Families with kids under 17 board before group 1?
amerocan boarding process is the best in the us right now. I hope that won’t change.
My sample size is low, but I flew UA SFO-BOS the other day and they have virtually eliminated gate lice from the program. Global Services and 1Ks are boarded directly and Group 1 and 2 (then the other numbers) are lined up like Southwest, but to the side and not in the way of Elite travelers. The only issue is the amount of pre-boards, but it was still a nicer process than most of the AA flights where i have to ram by people who are in the way.
robertablake likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 6:24 am

Programs: AA EXP, 2 Million Miler
Originally Posted by Score8
My sample size is low, but I flew UA SFO-BOS the other day and they have virtually eliminated gate lice from the program. Global Services and 1Ks are boarded directly and Group 1 and 2 (then the other numbers) are lined up like Southwest, but to the side and not in the way of Elite travelers. The only issue is the amount of pre-boards, but it was still a nicer process than most of the AA flights where i have to ram by people who are in the way.
It's unbelievable how every time I need to fight my way through the mob when coming from the AC to the gate. It's only domestic flights though. AA international flights are much more civilized and organized at the gate.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 7:30 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
I'm allergic to fruits with pits like apples, peaches and plums. Can we get notice how I can join that group to get early boarding priveleges?
Old Nov 9, 2018, 7:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: CK or bust
I get teary-eyed and start sneezing when I'm near Barclays applications. Can I pre-board to wipe them into a recycle bin?
wrp96, LovePrunes and GWFan like this.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 7:46 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Score8
In CLT B concourse the gates at the end are too close together and in the morning several flts depart at nearly the same time, so even if pax are trying to queue in an orderly fashion, it is difficult to tell which line you are on.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 7:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by nrr
In CLT B concourse the gates at the end are too close together and in the morning several flts depart at nearly the same time, so even if pax are trying to queue in an orderly fashion, it is difficult to tell which line you are on.
That's just more incentive to save your spot in each line just in case one moves faster than the other.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 8:25 am

Why do they need early boarding? Can’t they just wipe down the seats whenever they get there?
Old Nov 9, 2018, 10:30 am

It seems likely that this will be something that gets abused much more than other needs for boarding early.

Which is a shame for people with real nut allergies, because there will suddenly be so many people with nut allergies, that they won't necessarily get to board early.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by swingaling

It seems to me that AA is doing this because it costs them nothing (and will probably achieve nothing). Whereas putting a system into place to avoid serving nuts (similar to how DL operates) costs money.
It will cost them a lot in lost passenger revenue if people abuse this. Well, lost revenue from honest passengers who would never claim to have a nut allergy just to get on board earlier.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.