FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Preboarding policy (for passengers with nut / peanut allergies as of 12/12/18) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1939383-preboarding-policy-passengers-nut-peanut-allergies-12-12-18-a.html)

enpremiere Nov 7, 2018 7:56 am

Preboarding policy (for passengers with nut / peanut allergies as of 12/12/18)

So you don't have the spend to get to CK? You can still be a winner AND help AA keep its planes cleaner.

As noted by
, and https://www.dallasnews.com/business/american-airlines/2018/11/06/american-airlines-allow-travelers-nut-allergies-board-early-can-wipe-seats, let's see how quickly the number of passengers with allergies spikes.

PS: Title of post could read "Peanut/tree-nut allergy pax allowed to pre-board and sanitize"

econometrics Nov 7, 2018 8:04 am

So many puns running through my mind right now...

seigex Nov 7, 2018 8:36 am

Originally Posted by econometrics (Post 30403911)
So many "nuts" puns running through my mind right now...

They did say in the article that they don't provide "nut buffer zones." So there's that?

thelark Nov 7, 2018 8:45 am

What about deez?

fotographer Nov 7, 2018 9:12 am

can I bring my emotional support elephant to help?

cynicAAl Nov 7, 2018 9:12 am

if the nut people pre-board to wipe down the plane, is there anyone onboard to make sure that they actually do this ? Sure, all the FA's are busy enforcing overhead bin usage, hanging coats, greeting pax with a scowl and making PDBs, but who will enforce the wipe down ? And what if the nut people use a cleaner that causes distress for those with chemical sensitivities ? Should they be pre-boarded too ? And who will monitor them ? And what about the people with emotional support animals ? They should be preboarded. and people with children. And the elderly. and people with limited mobility. And elites. And people with low credit scores. And the Dutch. Pre-boarding for everyone !

nrr Nov 7, 2018 10:33 am

To be ultra safe, shouldn't a pax with nut allergies swab every seat on the plane.:rolleyes:

Fine Art Landscape Photographer Nov 7, 2018 10:37 am

This is nuts!

samwise6222 Nov 7, 2018 10:41 am

Originally Posted by enpremiere (Post 30403887)
PS: Title of post could read "Peanut/tree-nut allergy pax allowed to pre-board and sanitize"

One thing I give Delta a big credit is that they make it so easy on your booking that you are allergic to peanuts. If you check that, they won't serve any peanuts during the flight which I appreciate.

Often1 Nov 7, 2018 10:48 am

This is simply meaningless. Whether nuts are served on the flight and whether a passenger swabs a seat does nothing for the nut-containing wrappers stuffed into the seats and seatback pockets as well as ground into the carpet.

swingaling Nov 7, 2018 11:43 am

This is so stupid. There are so many service improvements they could make, but they decide to do stuff like this. I give this 6 months max before it gets shut down. This is just screaming to be abused by BE pax with massive 50lb carryons claiming a nut allergy.

Nut allergies are very rare; by comparison, incidences of seafood allergies are four times more common. Where's the wipedown for seafood allergy sufferers? What about Jews and Muslims who follow Kosher and Halal dietary rules? Why can't they pre-board to swap out the tray tables with appropriate trays?

Nut allergies typically require ingestion for severe reactions to occur. What's wiping down the seat realistically going to do, provided one is wearing clothing? If wiping down a seat is pointless, does one really need to pre-board to wipe down a tray table? This is pure theater to placate certain vocal pax.

In those who are severely allergic, reactions to peanuts can occur from ingesting just a trace amount. This can cause anxiety, especially with the parents of peanut allergic children. But did you know that touching, smelling, or inhaling airborne particles from peanuts does not cause a severe reaction. ( Simonte SJ, et al. Relevance of casual contact with peanut butter in children with peanut allergy. J Allergy Clin Immunol.. 2003 Jul:112 (1): 180-2.

In one controlled study that looked at this, 30 children with significant peanut allergy were exposed to peanut butter, which was either pressed on the skin for one minute, or the aroma was inhaled. Reddening or flaring of the skin occurred in about one third of the children, but none of the children in the study experienced a reaction either in their lungs or throughout their bodies!
It seems to me that AA is doing this because it costs them nothing (and will probably achieve nothing). Whereas putting a system into place to avoid serving nuts (similar to how DL operates) costs money.

TravelLawyer Nov 7, 2018 12:19 pm

@swingaling You quoted an article about peanut butter. There are no loose particles to inhale in peanut butter. Whole or halved nuts are a different story because they contain nut dust particles. However, I agree with your last statement regarding the cost of implementation of nut control vs doing something like this that doesn't really do much.

flyalways Nov 7, 2018 12:42 pm

I think they should offer pre-boarding to customers only with no carry-on ! So if you want to pre-board because of any "condition" you can board with no carry on baggage. Let us see how many take advantage of this ? :-) I think people have issues with pre-boarders because they take up bin space. With this they can be assured of space when the boarding groups are called...

flyalways Nov 7, 2018 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by nrr (Post 30404415)
To be ultra safe, shouldn't a pax with nut allergies swab every seat on the plane.:rolleyes:

AA would love that...Now they can downsize their cleaning crew ;-)

Gig103 Nov 7, 2018 1:04 pm

My throat is getting a little scratchy....

;)