Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage Program Changes as of Jan 2019 and EXP EQD Requirement

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 5, 2018, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AAdvantage program changes have been announced, to be implemented 1 January 2019. In part:

AAdvantage® program updates

What’s new (link)

2019 AAdvantage® program updates

We’re introducing a few updates effective January 1, 2019, for AAdvantage® members, including new qualification requirements for AAdvantage® Executive Platinum status and extra rewards Executive Platinum members can choose.

Additionally, we’re changing how you earn Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs) on American and select oneworld® airlines, and what you earn when flying on special fares (such as bulk or consolidator fares) and exception tickets (cases when ticket/fare details are unavailable).

Executive Platinum qualification and rewards

The Elite Qualifying Dollar (EQD) requirement for AAdvantage® Executive Platinum status is increasing from $12,000 EQDs to $15,000 EQDs for the 2020 membership year. (You’ll need to earn $15,000 EQD in 2019 to qualify for Executive Platinum for the Status year beginning 1 Feb 2020.)

NOTE: see Barclaycard Aviator Red no EQD, Silver $3k EQD Only as of 2019 thread on credit card EQD reductions
Upon qualification for Executive Platinum status, members who reach 150,000 Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs), 200,000 EQMs and 250,000 EQMs can choose a reward.

Reach 150,000 EQMs and choose from:
2 systemwide upgrades
40,000 bonus miles
Gift of AAdvantage® Gold status

Reach 200,000 EQMs and choose from:
2 systemwide upgrades
40,000 bonus miles
Gift of AAdvantage® Platinum status

Reach 250,000 EQMs and choose from:
2 systemwide upgrades
40,000 bonus miles
Gift of AAdvantage® Platinum status

You can track your progress toward reaching these reward levels in your account. Once you reach these goals, your reward choices will be available in your wallet.

Earning Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs)

The EQMs you earn on select oneworld® airlines are increasing to be aligned with what you earn when flying on an American-marketed flight. (NOTE: affects JBA one world airlines only)

British Airways
Finnair
Iberia
Japan Airlines

The EQMs earned on American-marketed flights on fares booked in “Y” are decreasing from 1.5 EQMs to 1.0 EQMs per mile flown to be more in line with the ticket value.

Earning on special fare tickets

Earning on special fare tickets

We’re adjusting the award miles, class of service bonus, EQDs and EQMs to match the value of the ticket for select booking codes for travel on American-marketed flights on these ticket types:

Special fares (such as bulk and consolidator fare tickets)
Earning when ticket/fare details are unavailable
In some cases what you earn on these tickets is increasing and in other cases it’s decreasing.
Print Wikipost

AAdvantage Program Changes as of Jan 2019 and EXP EQD Requirement

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2018, 10:10 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Just got the email.

If I am reading it correctly this is a win for me.

I rarely travel on AA metal as all of my flights are usually in PE or J on BA.

It appears I’ll now earn more EQMs on most of my flights.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 10:10 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire, National ExecElite
Thank you American!
I qualified this year again as ExPlat, and I was wondering if next year it would make sense to try qualifying again.
Before this news my gripes were:
- terrible award flight availability (when between A to B exists a direct connection --> A to C to B, super long layovers in C, red-eye)
- terrible award chart (BA fees)
- only 4 SWU, difficult to use

Now they made the decision super easy. If the race to the bottom is to weed out loyal customers, then that is what they get.

Last edited by svik; Nov 5, 2018 at 10:21 am
Old Nov 5, 2018, 10:11 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by BillBurn
Between increasing the EQD requirement to 15K and eliminating the EQD bonuses on the Barclays cards, AA definitely appears to be trying to weed out a lot of low spending EXPs. I wonder what impact this will have on the overall # of EXPs in 2020. Could be good news for those EXPs that remain in terms of upgrade competition, service levels, etc. ... or not.
F will still be full. For non impacted ExAts already over the $15k EQD, what does it matter how many places below you others are, if they are already below you? Exp Desk is already a shell if it’s former self.

Where is the advantage to high value fliers of the higher EQD requirement,, other than knowing its more exclusive.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 10:12 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by krazieman
So those crappy BA J/F flights will give more EQMs now, but so what, it'll be hard to get the EQDs.
Hard...????

A MR to JNB BA metal in PE or J nets you almost $5k EQDs.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 10:16 am

Programs: AA
Ouch. I just literally hit the EP yesterday and woke up to this news today.

Brutal.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 10:17 am

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Pretty much the only difference between the Big 3 FF programs is award availability. Who'd a-thunk that would happen after consolidation?
Old Nov 5, 2018, 10:18 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Just got the email from AA... FT is so much faster
Old Nov 5, 2018, 10:19 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I know I'm not in the big leagues like some of you guys, so AA doesn't care what I think, but this sucks. I made every effort to hit EXP this year, and relied on the 3000 EQD from my Aviator Red card spend to get over the 12K requirement. Now they've taken that card perk away AND increased the EQD requirement. So I guess this will be my first and last year at EXP. Oh well.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 10:20 am

Mixed emotions about this... I should hit the spend with no problem.... I just don't like the fact that this is happening.... I have been eyeing Delta for a while. (I used to fly them before I switched to AA about 5 years ago). I would like to fly one of Delta's partner airlines direct to Taipei vs flying through NRT or HKG on AA via LAX.... It adds quite a bit of time on to my journey but it's only 3 times a year....

All in all I think I'll stick with AA though.. I don't have any real complaints about them...
Old Nov 5, 2018, 10:24 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
As one who is spending about $20-$25K per year right now, I'm not put off by this. From seeing the loads in premium cabins this past year on INTL flights, I can tell that AA is courting EXP customers who spend more, and weeding out those who do not. Seems like a simple business decision here, and Delta and UA helped give them the courage to do it.

But the improved EQM earning in J/F on Oneworld partners is a VERY nice improvement. Now I can go back to buying itineraries on BA.com in J, which often tend to be cheaper than the same itinerary on AA.com for me, and can still earn full EQM. No more paying AA a premium just to get my full EQMs. ^
Old Nov 5, 2018, 10:24 am

I am just reading this email. Am I reading correctly that Cathay flights will no longer be eligible to qualify for EQD and EQM. I hoe this is not true.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 10:26 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by vkumar
I am just reading this email. Am I reading correctly that Cathay flights will no longer be eligible to qualify for EQD and EQM. I hoe this is not true.
There are no changes to the earnings on CX. https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...ay-pacific.jsp

These changes are with BA, IB, JL, and AY.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 10:27 am

Programs: DL Plat 1MM, AA EXP 3MM, SQ Krisflyer Gold, UA Silver, Marriott LTT, HH Gold
i am ok with this. Been usually above 15k anyways and the extra EQMs will be welcome. As someone who flies a fair bit on partner airlines usually discounted J, the math for EQD could use some updating. If it was a little more realistic, i’d Be fine with 20K spend requirement.

and we all saw this coming - the increase in EQM is a positive. Of course I realize that for those that barely made the 12, it sucks. At the same time, it probably doesn’t change much. If you were at the bottom of EXP upgrades or the top of Plat Pro probably has the same result. The only real loss would be the system wides which were already reduced to 4
Old Nov 5, 2018, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
So.. 2020 membership year.... Does that mean this takes effect Jan 1 2020? or Jan 1 2019?
Old Nov 5, 2018, 10:30 am

Programs: AA Advantage
Question AAdvantage program changes (announced Nov 5, 2018)

American just announced some changes to the AAdvantage program, and I'm trying to read between the lines to figure out what they actually mean.

From the announcement, it will now take $15K EQDs to hit Exec Platinum, but I'm confused by this section (especially around the "gift of AAdvantage status" - does it mean we can give someone else Gold / Platinum if we reach 150K / 200K / 250K miles?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.