Search

Best time to book for Hawaii in July

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2018, 12:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Mileage Plus AAdvantage La Quinta Returns
Best time to book for Hawaii in July

Hello All-
I am needing advice on when is the best time to book for a trip in July of 2019 to Hawaii. (Kona). I am willing to use miles or dollars or a mix of both and would like to either use miles to upgrade if we do buy seats. Normally I just book the flight but this trip will be my Honeymoon so I want it to be relaxing from the start. I am willing to leave from Seattle or Portland possibly Vancouver (Though I doubt that will be cheaper at all just because of Canada taxes) Also willing to Open Jaw if needed. So any tips and tricks would be appreciated.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 1:04 pm

Sheesh, I can feel the anxiety through my screen, man...

My advice - this is not the place for gamesmanship. It's your honeymoon, I just did you a solid and google flights says that a Monday departure / Monday return in F on the direct DL flight from SEA to KOA next July is 1200 bucks round trip. DONE. Have a great trip.
jcatman and atbPy like this.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
I'll support the advice of arlflyer. Summer is peak season to Hawaii (kids out of school). You may not have a lot of date flexibility. Buy it and be happy.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 8:13 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
Originally Posted by arlflyer
Sheesh, I can feel the anxiety through my screen, man...

My advice - this is not the place for gamesmanship. It's your honeymoon, I just did you a solid and google flights says that a Monday departure / Monday return in F on the direct DL flight from SEA to KOA next July is 1200 bucks round trip. DONE. Have a great trip.
Agreed! I got married this summer and we had our honeymoon in Hawaii. We weren't taking any chances on upgrades so we booked/paid for first class on every segment. Flights were late June and early July 2018. We booked our tickets in August 2017. We were very happy we did, especially with one of our flights home with lie flats.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 8:48 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
If you get an expertflyer.com membership you can search on the upgrades tab for "C" inventory. Any flights that have a number other than 0 next to C would be eligible for millage upgrades. Normally domestic upgrades on American would be 15,000 miles and $75, however, Hawaii routes require an extra $100 ($175 total + 15,000 miles), if you have any of the Aviator MasterCards, you can get 10% of those miles back (up to 10,000 per year). Also, if you participate in Business Extra (and you should), you can use 650 business extra points for the upgrades. Business extra upgrades also require C inventory and you can't use them on tickets with fare basis codes starting with B, N, O, Q or S.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by donotblink
If you get an expertflyer.com membership you can search on the upgrades tab for "C" inventory. Any flights that have a number other than 0 next to C would be eligible for millage upgrades. Normally domestic upgrades on American would be 15,000 miles and $75, however, Hawaii routes require an extra $100 ($175 total + 15,000 miles), if you have any of the Aviator MasterCards, you can get 10% of those miles back (up to 10,000 per year). Also, if you participate in Business Extra (and you should), you can use 650 business extra points for the upgrades. Business extra upgrades also require C inventory and you can't use them on tickets with fare basis codes starting with B, N, O, Q or S.
See my point? Gives me a headache just reading this stuff. Shell out the cash.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 9:20 am

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Get two AAnytime awards and you're done. No availability worries assuming there are 2 J for sale, change/cancel/no-show no problems, no looking for upgrades, blah blah blah. Or buy two seats.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 9:26 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by arlflyer
See my point? Gives me a headache just reading this stuff. Shell out the cash.
I believe my post is the entire point of flyertalk!
Old Nov 4, 2018, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by ricktoronto
Get two AAnytime awards and you're done. No availability worries assuming there are 2 J for sale, change/cancel/no-show no problems, no looking for upgrades, blah blah blah. Or buy two seats.
Even if SAAver awards are available for the dates the OP needs?

It does not appear that the OP has even checked award-seat availability yet, so it's a little premature to advise him to book an AAnytime award now.

The OP will have nonstop options from SEA and PDX (and maybe even BLI, which has seasonal service) to KOA on AS if if SAAver award seats are available. If not, and the OP is willing to connect, one-stop connections might be available via LAX or PHX.

It's a simple matter to do an award search now at aa.com to see if any SAAver options are available currently for the OP's desired dates. If there aren't, and the OP doesn't want to wait, he can either book AAnytime awards now, or buy cash tickets.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.