Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Non-revs visibility on upgrade list and their priority over elites

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Non-revs visibility on upgrade list and their priority over elites

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2018, 1:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EP
Originally Posted by TWA884
​​​​​​Getting snarky rarely produces a benefial outcome.
You misunderstood. It wasn't snark, I was complimenting the agent that she knew the rules.

Originally Posted by enpremiere
While true, in the context of the post this was intended as a playful compliment to the MIA based AA employee as they properly coded the passager while the poster noted that at ORD and LGA this doesn’t happen correctly as often for them.

RL = "Flat Tire Rule" passenger missing a flight through no fault of their own or AA which doesn’t describe voluntary same day standby requests so the poster was right to confirm that they were listed as RV.
Thank you!
Old Nov 13, 2018, 2:07 pm
Original Poster

As an outrageous, dramatic conclusion to this already twisted trip, I was not permitted to sit in any of the six open seats in FC. The plane departed with six vacant seats.

I had a semi complex itenary and wanted an overnight layover through MIA on my way back from this trip. I wasn't able to assemble this online myself so called reservations and they did it for me, but because departure was within 4 hours they weren't able to apply payment over the phone. No problem, they placed it on hold, gave me a record locator and said I could pay for it in the airport. When I arrived they were expecting me at the ticket counter (I guess someone called to give them a heads up, which was nice. I guess they don't get many EPs coming through this location). But Cuba being Cuba, this location in AA doesn't accept any money at all, so I had no way to pay for the ticket.

They called their help desk and ultimately they decided that as a workaround, I would be booked on a later flight so reservations could thus take payment over the phone, and then the airport would manually move me back to my original flight. Which they did, but couldn't figure out how to add me back to the upgrade list (not that there even was one, or anyone else on it).

I politely asked the gate agent if I could have my seat changed complimentarily, as EF showed many open seats a short while ago while I still had internet. He first stated it was impossible due to weights and balance. I perceived this to be BS, so I asked if I could pay for an upgrade and would just get CR to refund it later. He said a cash upgrade was unavailable but a mileage co-pay was, and I eagerly agreed, but then couldn't figure out how to do it. I asked if we reached a dead end and if he truly believes he exhausted all his resourced, and he said yes.

No big deal, I'll just ask a FA and explain what happened, perhaps they are based out of the US and are more familiar with AA policies. I was the last one to board and when I stepped on the plane there were only two people sitting in first, once again both in airline uniforms. "The GA couldn't figure out how to process an upgrade and I'm EP, since these are open is it ok if I sit here?" and she said "We'll see if we can figure something out once boarding is all complete" (it was, except for the GA coming on).

He must have said something to the crew because as she was walking back she stopped by and said that they can't change my cabin class but I can move a few rows up from the exit row, if I wanted. I just gave up at this point. It's frustrating to play be so loyal, play by all their rules and so frequently get apathetic staff.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 2:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond
I have had a standby confirmed and then and upgrade confirmed on the same flight within the last year. What I am gathering from this thread is to stay out of Cuba (at least on AA).

Last edited by Rebob; Nov 13, 2018 at 2:21 pm Reason: ADDITIONAL INFO
Old Nov 13, 2018, 4:19 pm

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Originally Posted by samm
As an outrageous, dramatic conclusion to this already twisted trip, I was not permitted to sit in any of the six open seats in FC. The plane departed with six vacant seats.

I had a semi complex itenary and wanted an overnight layover through MIA on my way back from this trip. I wasn't able to assemble this online myself so called reservations and they did it for me, but because departure was within 4 hours they weren't able to apply payment over the phone. No problem, they placed it on hold, gave me a record locator and said I could pay for it in the airport. When I arrived they were expecting me at the ticket counter (I guess someone called to give them a heads up, which was nice. I guess they don't get many EPs coming through this location). But Cuba being Cuba, this location in AA doesn't accept any money at all, so I had no way to pay for the ticket.

They called their help desk and ultimately they decided that as a workaround, I would be booked on a later flight so reservations could thus take payment over the phone, and then the airport would manually move me back to my original flight. Which they did, but couldn't figure out how to add me back to the upgrade list (not that there even was one, or anyone else on it).

I politely asked the gate agent if I could have my seat changed complimentarily, as EF showed many open seats a short while ago while I still had internet. He first stated it was impossible due to weights and balance. I perceived this to be BS, so I asked if I could pay for an upgrade and would just get CR to refund it later. He said a cash upgrade was unavailable but a mileage co-pay was, and I eagerly agreed, but then couldn't figure out how to do it. I asked if we reached a dead end and if he truly believes he exhausted all his resourced, and he said yes.

No big deal, I'll just ask a FA and explain what happened, perhaps they are based out of the US and are more familiar with AA policies. I was the last one to board and when I stepped on the plane there were only two people sitting in first, once again both in airline uniforms. "The GA couldn't figure out how to process an upgrade and I'm EP, since these are open is it ok if I sit here?" and she said "We'll see if we can figure something out once boarding is all complete" (it was, except for the GA coming on).

He must have said something to the crew because as she was walking back she stopped by and said that they can't change my cabin class but I can move a few rows up from the exit row, if I wanted. I just gave up at this point. It's frustrating to play be so loyal, play by all their rules and so frequently get apathetic staff.
The airport agents in Cuba do not work for the airlines. Given the issue with booking I'm amazed you got on the flight at all. This is Cuba-specific and hardly an indication of general lack of service at AA (sure, there's plenty of that elsewhere, but it isn't the root cause in this instance).
Old Nov 14, 2018, 1:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wetrat0
The airport agents in Cuba do not work for the airlines. Given the issue with booking I'm amazed you got on the flight at all. This is Cuba-specific and hardly an indication of general lack of service at AA (sure, there's plenty of that elsewhere, but it isn't the root cause in this instance).
Fair enough, but the entire FA crew was Miami based, and they were organic AA employees. When I spoke to the MIA admirals after this happened, I was lucky enough to chat with an employee who had been with AA for 30+ years. He said something along the lines of “once the door closes, it’s their plane, their call and their ultimate decision, and the FAs should have agreed to move you regardless of what Cuba said”.

That they refused such a simple request with six open seats was why I considered this an AA service failure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.