Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Non-revs visibility on upgrade list and their priority over elites

Old Nov 2, 18, 7:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EP

Are non revs listed on the upgrade list thatís visible to passengers? Had a very strange experience last night at MIA. I was originally on an afternoon MIA-HAV (my UG for that cleared when I bought the ticket) but I needed a few more hours of work before being internetless in Cuba, so visited a gate agent as I was already inside the terminal. She wasnít able to SDFC to the later flight but listed me for standby, no problem, as expected.

I totally understand that itís not possible to be on standby list and upgrade list at the same time. There were 7 seats in J T-2 hours and still 5 seats as we started boarding. Flight was half empty, and no one was on the upgrade list at all. I was the only person on standby. Given that there were 5 open J seats with no one even on the upgrade list, I politely asked if I could wait to board for consideration of one of those seats (Iím EP). He said no, and that I would be sitting in the back. I said I didnít mind waiting until boarding was done and he said I can choose to wait, but itís not possible to be on both lists at the same time. I pointed out that he already printed me a BP and cleared me off standby, but it didnít seem to matter. The seatmap still showed 5 open seats.

What happened next may qualify for the most outrageous AA experience of 2018 for me. T-15 and boarding was pretty much done, no one else at the gate and no queue in jetway. The next 3 people that walk up to the gate (all in an envoy airline uniform) he reprints their BP and puts them in J seats, which then show occupied on the map. There were still 2 seats remaining on the map but he again reaffirmed I could not be on both lists at the same time. He then moves two more non revs in the main cabin to the front.

Look, this was a 48 minute flight and I donít think anyone else on the plane even had elite status at all. There is no possible excuse for his behavior, correct? Even though it is indeed policy you canít be on two lists at once, considering there were FIVE open J seats with zero people on the UG list, I still should have at least been considered for one of the five seats, right?

His attitude was nasty, vindictive and retaliatory.. An employee (seemingly) maliciously went out of their way to punish me, and I have no idea why. I understand I was hardly guaranteed an upgrade, but I am totally clueless as to why this happened. The reason Iím asking if non revs show on the list that I can see if Iím just curious if they were even on the list at all, which I guess would bring... some merit to his actions if so.
Old Nov 2, 18, 7:14 am

Programs: DL GM, AA PLAT, Hilton Gold, AMEX Plat
No.
Only the standby list
JonNYC and adunker like this.
Old Nov 2, 18, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus
Originally Posted by samm View Post
Are non revs listed on the upgrade list thatís visible to passengers? Had a very strange experience last night at MIA. I was originally on an afternoon MIA-HAV (my UG for that cleared when I bought the ticket) but I needed a few more hours of work before being internetless in Cuba, so visited a gate agent as I was already inside the terminal. She wasnít able to SDFC to the later flight but listed me for standby, no problem, as expected.

I totally understand that itís not possible to be on standby list and upgrade list at the same time. There were 7 seats in J T-2 hours and still 5 seats as we started boarding. Flight was half empty, and no one was on the upgrade list at all. I was the only person on standby. Given that there were 5 open J seats with no one even on the upgrade list, I politely asked if I could wait to board for consideration of one of those seats (Iím EP). He said no, and that I would be sitting in the back. I said I didnít mind waiting until boarding was done and he said I can choose to wait, but itís not possible to be on both lists at the same time. I pointed out that he already printed me a BP and cleared me off standby, but it didnít seem to matter. The seatmap still showed 5 open seats.

What happened next may qualify for the most outrageous AA experience of 2018 for me. T-15 and boarding was pretty much done, no one else at the gate and no queue in jetway. The next 3 people that walk up to the gate (all in an envoy airline uniform) he reprints their BP and puts them in J seats, which then show occupied on the map. There were still 2 seats remaining on the map but he again reaffirmed I could not be on both lists at the same time. He then moves two more non revs in the main cabin to the front.

Look, this was a 48 minute flight and I donít think anyone else on the plane even had elite status at all. There is no possible excuse for his behavior, correct? Even though it is indeed policy you canít be on two lists at once, considering there were FIVE open J seats with zero people on the UG list, I still should have at least been considered for one of the five seats, right?

His attitude was nasty, vindictive and retaliatory.. An employee (seemingly) maliciously went out of their way to punish me, and I have no idea why. I understand I was hardly guaranteed an upgrade, but I am totally clueless as to why this happened. The reason Iím asking if non revs show on the list that I can see if Iím just curious if they were even on the list at all, which I guess would bring... some merit to his actions if so.
You cannot be on both lists at the same time. Of course, once you have a BP, you are no longer on the standby list, and should be upgraded if there are open seats
Old Nov 2, 18, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There was another thread just like this one not more than a couple of weeks ago. That poster (also EXP I think) asked to be placed on standby and then upgraded if possible on a short flight. GA said no to the upgrade and the F seat was seemingly given to a non rever. GAs again making up their own rules and favoring non revers over paying paxs, EXP no less.

I suggest the OP send AA an email with details although I doubt AA will do much other than send a canned useless form letter back to him.
Old Nov 2, 18, 7:57 am

Programs: DL GM, AAdvantage EXECPLAT, Hyatt Plat, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
They used to put a comment next to your name on the PALL list saying DSR if you were in this situation so the gate agent knew you wanted FC but were on standby.
JDiver likes this.
Old Nov 2, 18, 8:49 am

Programs: AA Plat, DL WFBF, National Emerald Club, Global Entry, CSR
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge View Post
There was another thread just like this one not more than a couple of weeks ago. That poster (also EXP I think) asked to be placed on standby and then upgraded if possible on a short flight. GA said no to the upgrade and the F seat was seemingly given to a non rever. GAs again making up their own rules and favoring non revers over paying paxs, EXP no less.

I suggest the OP send AA an email with details although I doubt AA will do much other than send a canned useless form letter back to him.
Agreed. This is one of those really puzzling things, where there's no good reason not to have a clear policy. The GA definitely has the ability to add to upg list after clearing standby, although it's not automatic (i.e., must be requested, as the OP did in this situation). But it seems there is a large contingent of GAs that either don't know they can do it, don't think they can do it, or know they can do it but think that it's somehow "against the rules" to upgrade someone who's cleared standby (it's not). It would be nice if AA would publish a clear policy.

Even more puzzling is when the pax has a paid F ticket and they act the same way, which is also well documented on this forum.
Zacnlinc and Uzzar like this.
Old Nov 2, 18, 9:20 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
This seems to be problem widespread, GA taking matters into their own hands and not following company polices
I think the GA know that in the end, their is nothing the passenger can do, besides contact AA, which in most cases will result in a generic reply that means nothing
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Nov 2, 18, 9:37 am

Programs: AA PLT
Pure insanity.
Old Nov 2, 18, 9:39 am

Programs: AA EXP, Enterprise PLT, Marriott Gold
I asked my GA friend about this. He told me that as you all expected you cannot be on the standby list and the upgrade list. Even once you are cleared on the standby list, you still show on the PALL list which is what upgrade eligible elites are also on. So the GA cannot then add you to the upgrade list, even once you have been cleared. It does seem to be a grey area where a GA could just go ahead and assign you a J seat anyhow with your status, but it's not a policy and not really something GA's are told to be doing. However, it's likely something a GA would not get in trouble for as long as they didn't skip over any confirmed upgrade pax first.
Zacnlinc likes this.
Old Nov 2, 18, 9:50 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
GS'a just want to get the flight rolling. Everything else is an inconvenience, preventing them from possibly earning a gold star for the day. While procedure wasn't followed correctly at the end of the day you changed your flight and the flight was less than an hour. Not sure if you were cleared for upgrade on your original flight so it's hard to say whether you lost anything.
Old Nov 2, 18, 10:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Uncle Nonny View Post
GS'a just want to get the flight rolling. Everything else is an inconvenience, preventing them from possibly earning a gold star for the day. While procedure wasn't followed correctly at the end of the day you changed your flight and the flight was less than an hour. Not sure if you were cleared for upgrade on your original flight so it's hard to say whether you lost anything.
I stated in my first paragraph that the original flight did have a confirmed upgrade, it cleared as soon as I bought the ticket. I donít think itís a matter of winning or losing as the flights are not related.

I forgot to mention the flight was delayed for just over 2 hours. Maintenance was working on it during boarding, itís not as if we had to turn around and come back. I donít think the GA was in any rush because they knew it would be at the gate for awhile. So it turned out to be a 3 hour journey in economy and 12 of the 16 pax in FC were in various employee uniforms, and the remaining had an ID around their neck so I would assume they were also nonrev. Respectfully, if you wouldnít find that a bit frustrating that an entire FC cabin is full of employees and they send an EP to the back (with literally no one else on the UG list), I guess we just approach the AAdvantage program differently.
Old Nov 2, 18, 11:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SpinOn2 View Post
I asked my GA friend about this. He told me that as you all expected you cannot be on the standby list and the upgrade list. Even once you are cleared on the standby list, you still show on the PALL list which is what upgrade eligible elites are also on. So the GA cannot then add you to the upgrade list, even once you have been cleared. It does seem to be a grey area where a GA could just go ahead and assign you a J seat anyhow with your status, but it's not a policy and not really something GA's are told to be doing. However, it's likely something a GA would not get in trouble for as long as they didn't skip over any confirmed upgrade pax first.
Interesting. If they are correct, I guess that adds more color to why itís not as simple as it may seem. Would really like official clarity on if AA condones filling up an empty FC with nonrevs just because of an IT limitation that I canít be added to a list that I would normally expect be eligible for, particularly after I have a confirmed seat (and especially for a flight that doesnít even have anyone else requesting an upgrade, at all). Anyway, thank you for sharing what your friend told you! Good to know.
Old Nov 2, 18, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Interesting. If they are correct, I guess that adds more color to why itís not as simple as it may seem. Would really like official clarity on if AA condones filling up an empty FC with nonrevs just because of an IT limitation that I canít be added to a list that I would normally expect be eligible for, particularly after I have a confirmed seat (and especially for a flight that doesnít even have anyone else requesting an upgrade, at all). Anyway, thank you for sharing what your friend told you! Good to know.
I've never had an issue with a GA adding me to the UPG list after clearing standby when seats were open. It doesn't appear to be some deep dark secret in AA on how to do it with only a few select knowing the process.
Old Nov 2, 18, 12:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares

I stated in my first paragraph that the original flight did have a confirmed upgrade, it cleared as soon as I bought the ticket. I donít think itís a matter of winning or losing as the flights are not related.

I forgot to mention the flight was delayed for just over 2 hours. Maintenance was working on it during boarding, itís not as if we had to turn around and come back. I donít think the GA was in any rush because they knew it would be at the gate for awhile. So it turned out to be a 3 hour journey in economy and 12 of the 16 pax in FC were in various employee uniforms, and the remaining had an ID around their neck so I would assume they were also nonrev. Respectfully, if you wouldnít find that a bit frustrating that an entire FC cabin is full of employees and they send an EP to the back (with literally no one else on the UG list), I guess we just approach the AAdvantage program differently.
I read your OP twice and didn't see the original upgrade cleared. Third time I saw it, my bad. You had an upgrade, you changed your flight. AA is only as good as their employees. Whether it's the employees training or the employees being trained. Add to that an IT system that is both way too complicated and lacking in the most simplistic components. I'm aware that AA is ripe with the aforementioned. That bad is on you. I "approach" the program with the expectation with base expectations. So , yes, I guess we do have different expectations from the AAdvantage program.
Old Nov 2, 18, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If most GAs can handle this seemingly simple request it can't be some IT boondoggle that only a few tech savvy GAs can comprehend. Rather a relative few GAs that want to do as little work as possible and remain a fav of FAs.

Search this Thread

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: