Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Non-revs visibility on upgrade list and their priority over elites

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Non-revs visibility on upgrade list and their priority over elites

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2018, 12:26 pm

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Honestly, if it's an IT boondoggle that's even worse. Compared to some of the things that the IT can handle, this one is relatively simple. But the fact that I've had this request granted multiple times as a lowly gold, suggests that if it is an IT problem, there's a relatively easy workaround that's known to most GAs. All the more reason for AA to have a clear policy...
Old Nov 2, 2018, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wetrat0
Even more puzzling is when the pax has a paid F ticket and they act the same way, which is also well documented on this forum.
+1000
Old Nov 2, 2018, 12:49 pm

Programs: Platinum Pro. .Hilton Honors Gold,
Looks like the GA cleared you on the standby list at the same time as the nonrev list and did not know that you were looking for an upgrade. It's only a 48 minute flight no? If the GA that switched the flight had noted an upgrade or you would have spoken at the gate before boarding that you were looking for an upgrade then you would have gotten it ahead of the non revs.

Last edited by D3Kingg; Nov 2, 2018 at 12:53 pm Reason: elaborate
Old Nov 2, 2018, 1:03 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
They used to put a comment next to your name on the PALL list saying DSR if you were in this situation so the gate agent knew you wanted FC but were on standby.
DSR wouldn't apply since the OP wasn't facing IRROPS or conditions that would have warranted it although the DSR maybe would would have helped out if they did it anyway. RF is only for confirmed first without a seat so that's not applicable here either since the OP initiated the standby request to that flight which may have been coded as RV.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 1:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by D3KingAmerican
Looks like the GA cleared you on the standby list at the same time as the nonrev list and did not know that you were looking for an upgrade. It's only a 48 minute flight no? If the GA that switched the flight had noted an upgrade or you would have spoken at the gate before boarding that you were looking for an upgrade then you would have gotten it ahead of the non revs.
The OP did ask the GA to be upgraded as 5 seats were open. GA said no to the upgrade.
samm likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
The OP did ask the GA to be upgraded as 5 seats were open. GA said no to the upgrade.

Now we know where this fellow went after his Seinfeld career.
newyorkgeorge, jcatman and samm like this.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 1:47 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
It is mind boggling to me that it is so difficult for AA to update their IT systems.
Really, there is no excuse.

In this day and age that I can do things that one would only see on Start Trek or scifi movies (instant video chat with someone across the globe, have a talking computer as a watch, etc), I can't really understand why AA can't update their systems and have someone write a simple code that automatically moves cleared standby pax to the upgrade list (if the rules really allow it). Writing the code for automatic queuing under certain rules is high school C++ homework.

(And let's not forget about not being able to request SWUs/miles+copay upgrades online).

If they overhauled their IT systems, it would probably be the end of GAs as we know them though.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 2:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by carlosdca
It is mind boggling to me that it is so difficult for AA to update their IT systems.
Really, there is no excuse.

In this day and age that I can do things that one would only see on Start Trek or scifi movies (instant video chat with someone across the globe, have a talking computer as a watch, etc), I can't really understand why AA can't update their systems and have someone write a simple code that automatically moves cleared standby pax to the upgrade list (if the rules really allow it). Writing the code for automatic queuing under certain rules is high school C++ homework.

(And let's not forget about not being able to request SWUs/miles+copay upgrades online).

If they overhauled their IT systems, it would probably be the end of GAs as we know them though.
I'll bet you there's code written in the FAs tablet programming reminding them to do their credit card pitch.
carlosdca likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 2:41 pm

I'll bet you there's code written in the FAs tablet programming reminding them to do their credit card pitch.
Yes, it wasn't a long decision-making meeting to decide on an icon to remind them (no need to pay a designer for a custom icon either):

$
jcatman likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by samm
Had a very strange experience last night at MIA.
'Nuff said.
jcatman likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
I've never had an issue with a GA adding me to the UPG list after clearing standby when seats were open. It doesn't appear to be some deep dark secret in AA on how to do it with only a few select knowing the process.
The odd part of this is I assume at least some non-revs that were upgraded were ALSO on the standby list
If non-revs can go from standby to first class, then a paying EXP should be able to
C17PSGR, deeruck and TheDudeAbides like this.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 6:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
As was noted by myself and others in the other thread a few days ago on this topic, GAs can and do process upgrades after you clear standby....the one caveat to that does seem to be that its only allowed/possible to do this if the number of open seats in F is < the number of nonrevs on the flight. :/ This isnt so much an IT problem, it's an HR problem. Oh and that it happened in MIA is not terribly surprising.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 7:01 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by ryan182
As was noted by myself and others in the other thread a few days ago on this topic, GAs can and do process upgrades after you clear standby....the one caveat to that does seem to be that its only allowed/possible to do this if the number of open seats in F is < the number of nonrevs on the flight. :/ This isnt so much an IT problem, it's an HR problem. Oh and that it happened in MIA is not terribly surprising.
How is it an HR problem?
Are you suggesting "re-training"?
Punishing the GA?

As long as the system allows IT, GAs will continue not adding cleared standby pax to the upgrade list, regardless of how much re-training or punishment happens (which never happens, btw).
Old Nov 2, 2018, 9:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EP
Originally Posted by enpremiere
DSR wouldn't apply since the OP wasn't facing IRROPS or conditions that would have warranted it although the DSR maybe would would have helped out if they did it anyway. RF is only for confirmed first without a seat so that's not applicable here either since the OP initiated the standby request to that flight which may have been coded as RV.
FWIW I know this was RV on this occasion. After I learned about the intricacies of the PALL list after being incorrectly coded as RL and being dead last on standby and causing me to not get a seat one too many times, I politely insist on being designated RV. ORD and LGA refuse this about 30% of the time if it’s for a later flight, so I then request a supervisor and RV is granted. When I asked the MIA agent to ensure I was getting RV yesterday, she looked at me like I had 2 heads and said “of course you’d be getting RV, that’s the policy as you’re requesting SDS with your elite status”. I asked her if she’d consider moving to the windy city with better pizza
Flight was half empty either way, but I always ensure RV every single time now.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 10:05 pm

I'm curious to know how you knew the 2 that were moved up front were non revs?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.