Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

FAQ: Cancel award ticket / cancellation (time frame, taxes, etc.) (merged threads)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 27, 2015, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
FAQ: Cancel / canceling an award ticket
Time frame, miles redeposit fees, refund of fees and taxes, permitted changes, etc.

In progress. Please feel free to add.

Q. Will I incur a cost to cancel my award and redeposit my miles?

Maybe. Executive Platinum members are redeposit fee exempt if they're redepositing awards, and significant changes in flight scheduling may also allow fee-free redeposit.

One award from one account incurs a $150 redeposit fee; every other award re deposited to the same account will additionally cost $25. For a family of four with awards from one account, that means $225; from separate accounts, $600.

Q. Don't I have 24 hours to cancel my award flight without charge (like paid tickets)?

Yes. You now have the option of putting an award on five day hold, and once you purchase there's a (strictly 24 hours) 24 hour free cancellation period for award tickets.

Q. What if the airline canceled my flight / changed my schedule / changed my equipment?

If the airline or partner canceled a flight, or changed equipment, you can negotiate for / agree to reaccommodation, or ask to cancel the award and redeposit the miles free.

If there is a significant change, over 120 minutes or more internationally, for example, you may also be able to redeposit your miles free of charges. ANY Equipment Swap counts as significant change per this thread wiki: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/945200-aa-schedule-changes-free-flight-change-cancelation-refund-consolidated.html

Q. What if my plans necessitate the cancellation?

If you think you'll be taking this trip in the future (within the award expiration period), you could change the dates without penalty. If an airline cancels a flight or the trip affected by is significant changes in the future, you can cancel without redeposit fees.

Q. How long are awards good for?

Awards are good for one year after they are taken out.

You can request to have your AAdvantage mileage reinstated for an unused AAdvantage flight award if your ticket has not expired. Partially used awards cannot be reinstated.

Changes other than cancellations/ miles redeposit

Please see: Award Change for date, time, routing, co-terminal, cost, etc. all changes
Print Wikipost

FAQ: Cancel award ticket / cancellation (time frame, taxes, etc.) (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2013, 7:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Ex Plat,UA Premier Gold

I may need to cancel an award ticket for myself. I am an EXP and I know I will get miles reinstated for free. I wonder how quickly miles will be reinstated.

I also paid the tax associate with the award ticket. Will I get refund, or a travel voucher instead? Thank you.

Last edited by JDiver; Apr 27, 2015 at 4:35 pm Reason: Restore original post title
Old May 13, 2013, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Immediate. Refund to original form of payment.
Old May 13, 2013, 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Immediate. Refund to original form of payment.
Yup, the miles come back fairly instantly. The refund varies depending on method of payment.
Old May 13, 2013, 9:08 pm
Original Poster

Thank you
Old Jul 24, 2013, 9:07 pm
Original Poster

Cancel unused return flight in award ticket

Hi I have another question. I booked an award ticket for one of my family member. ORD-PVG-ORD. Now he flew ORD-PVG but may not fly PVG-ORD. If he does not fly back, may I ask to reinstate the miles for the return flight. That is 35000 miles and I hope I can get them back.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 10:54 pm

Programs: AA - EXP, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, UK - Gold
Originally Posted by charismony
Hi I have another question. I booked an award ticket for one of my family member. ORD-PVG-ORD. Now he flew ORD-PVG but may not fly PVG-ORD. If he does not fly back, may I ask to reinstate the miles for the return flight. That is 35000 miles and I hope I can get them back.
Yes, you can get them back as RT awards are now done as two one-way's..

If the miles were from your account, you can get them back for no charge. if it were not from EXP account - mileage re-instatement charges apply.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 11:01 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
The agent usually says 24-48 hours to get the miles back, but I have also found it to be almost immediate.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 5:25 pm

Programs: PC Plat RA, SPG Gold, AS MVPG
AA Award ticket cancellation question

I apologize in advance.. this is probably such a basic question but search here, and googling has gotten me no where..

I'm not exec platinum (or any status with AA).

If i book a ticket for economy or business/first (not sure which yet) on award points - cost is say 70K + $200 fee.

If i cancel this later. i know it's $150 to reinstate those points to me.

Question: do i get the $200 taxes/fee refunded? or is that lost?

Thanks!
Old Feb 25, 2014, 5:54 pm
Suspended

That depends on AA, the tax, and how insistent you are. Refer to the link in my signature.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 7:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA
I've only cancelled award tickets as an EXP, but was refunded all taxes and fees that I had paid. I can't see why that would be different for an EXP than anyone else.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 9:25 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mtnjim
I've only cancelled award tickets as an EXP, but was refunded all taxes and fees that I had paid. I can't see why that would be different for an EXP than anyone else.
Because it's unclear what of the $200 is actual taxes vs. any kind of award processing type fee(s) -- would have to know what the $200 actually is to determine how much of it they'd get back.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 6:40 am

Programs: American, Delta, JetBlue, United
I've changed award tickets and received a partial refund of the fees due to different routing of the award flight.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 8:18 am

A very recent experience from a lifetime Gold:

- You are due all taxes back to the form of payment. In my case it took several rounds of correspondence with customer relations to actually get the money back

- I had one set of taxes returned to me in the form of an expiring paper voucher which took another round of correspondence with CR to get them to refund to the form of payment (this took an enquiry from the DOT) (this is still in “process”)

- Due to a routing change in the interim I was due a partial tax refund (this took 7 weeks and an hour on hold) (add DOT complaint and an excuse of "snow" from AA)

- I paid the reinstatement fee and that immediately came out of our checking account.

- The miles were only partially posted back to my AAdvantage account (the correction took another 45 minutes sitting on hold)

I’ve never had this much trouble in the past. Every single possible error was made by AA. What a nightmare.

Last edited by idainc; Feb 26, 2014 at 9:23 am
Old Feb 26, 2014, 10:36 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
AA seems to be having a lot of trouble with tax calculation issues as well recently. This reduces the value of one's miles if one has to spend so much time dealing with AA to get things ticketed correctly or to get taxes calculated/refunded properly. I hope AA is listening.

They are generally super fast on responding to Customer Relations Inquiries (I've even been responded to while on Gogo during a flight where I had an issue) but so far no response on two different tax-related inquiries.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 11:56 am
Suspended

AA's policy might be to refund the taxes and fees, but invoking federal law and regulations to force AA to do it could be pointless. Not all taxes and fees are refundable under applicable law. That's what hardly any member of the public knows.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.