Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Using AA e-shopping portal / Cartera to renew AA miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Using AA e-shopping portal / Cartera to renew AA miles

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2018, 7:46 am

Originally Posted by mvoight
The purchase date should is the date the miles are posted for. That should reinstate the miles automatically.
If it didn't, then your roommate had a valid complaint with AA. Did the purchase date not show when the miles were finally credited?
That's a big issue with the AAdvantage shopping port. It'll show what you visited, and never record the transaction (there's numerous complaints of this). You have to wait quite a while (up to 60 days) before filing a complaint with the advantage shopping folks to see if they'll get the points posted.

I should've HUCA'd with the AA agent about the reinstatement, but they were like, it doesn't matter when you bought, it's when they post, and the rep said it can take 2 months for points to post.

I'm still trying to get my points to post for several purchases I made as well. Fortunately mine aren't expiring.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 7:52 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
See if they have any charitable donation partners right now. They come and go.

I used the shopping portal trick for years when the kids were still at home, but it is hit and miss to actually get credit especially on iTunes. If you do that hit three or four vendors. If you are protecting more than one account clear the cookies, change browsers, use a different computer, or something, so the vendor does not default to the same person.

Last edited by jayer; Nov 2, 2018 at 11:47 am
Old Nov 2, 2018, 10:39 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by mvoight
Yes, but the miles should be dated from the time of the transaction and not the date they are processed, right?
I looked at a recent Skymiles purchase (same vendor handles the shopping portals) and you're right the miles were posted with an effective date of when the purchase was made. I still won't take the chance of them getting zeroed out and having to call to get it reinstated once the qualifying purchase posts, when we're talking only a month of an expiration I can reset again.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 12:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPRich
I typically purchase a gift certificate from Home Depot for my kids' accounts. Shipping is free, $10 certificate is $10 and I can always use it for something.
Oh, I thought gift certificates are not allowed and it has to be actual merchandise. Is this not true for Home Depot?
Old Nov 4, 2018, 12:09 am
Original Poster

Hi All,
Thank you for all this information. my progress:

11/18: miles to expire

10/31: Walmart purchase through aa shopping portal (I bought toothpaste btw)
11/1: AA sends an email saying that they have tracked my purchase through the shopping portal
11/3: AA shopping portal shows that I have earned 5 miles

*edit*
11/7: miles posted in my AA advantage account and my miles have been renewed!

I'll update once my miles are renewed in my aa advantage account.
Just thought I'll share this for anyone fretting their last minute shopping
JDiver likes this.

Last edited by AppleCart; Nov 9, 2018 at 12:17 am
Old Nov 4, 2018, 12:09 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by AppleCart
Oh, I thought gift certificates are not allowed and it has to be actual merchandise. Is this not true for Home Depot?
The T&C do exclude gift cards and "coupons not found" on the shopping portal. I've never tried a gift card to see if it actually worked, but my Target order never posted points (I used a 20% off coupon found on Target.com but not on AAdvantageshopping.com)
Old Nov 13, 2018, 9:41 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, HH DIA, Hertz PC, GE + Pre✓, Amazon Super Special Prime
Originally Posted by AppleCart
There are a few merchants on there that sell retail gift cards and you can get points (usually 1 or 2 miles per dollar). Raise and GiftCertificates are the ones I use.

Raise delivery is within 5-15 minutes Via email, and usually cards can be had for a discount to face value. I use them alot for shopping online and instore to maximize miles.
AppleCart likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 5:27 am

Programs: HHonors Gold/AAdvantage /Delta Skymiles
Originally Posted by GFrye
How long does it take for miles to post? I used the dining portal a few days ago and got an email from them for a review of the restaurant, but nothing has posted to my AA account yet.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 7:12 pm

Programs: AA Bonsai EXP (2.9 MM), AS MVPG
Originally Posted by gnggng
How long does it take for miles to post? I used the dining portal a few days ago and got an email from them for a review of the restaurant, but nothing has posted to my AA account yet.
1-2 weeks with about 10 days being typical. If the transaction shows as pending in your AAdvantage iDine account, then you have nothing to worry about; the miles will post to your AA account in due course with a posting date retroactive to the date of the dine.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 5:40 am

Programs: HHonors Gold/AAdvantage /Delta Skymiles
Thanks for the info. Just what I was looking for.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 11:05 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
I am trying to keep 3 AA accounts' points alive. Have done the shopping portal today though didn't clear cookies so that may be a bust. In any case, I want to also do the dining program but can't remember which cards are already tied to other dining programs. Not even sure, frankly, what dining programs we are already connected to. I just have never used it bc not many options in my city. What happens if I connect the same cc to a new dining program?
Old Jan 6, 2020, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
I am trying to keep 3 AA accounts' points alive. Have done the shopping portal today though didn't clear cookies so that may be a bust. In any case, I want to also do the dining program but can't remember which cards are already tied to other dining programs. Not even sure, frankly, what dining programs we are already connected to. I just have never used it bc not many options in my city. What happens if I connect the same cc to a new dining program?
IME if you add a card to a new program, it will be automatically removed from the old program.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 2:15 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
IME if you add a card to a new program, it will be automatically removed from the old program.
No sooner than you replied and I got an email from Alaska Mileage dining program that my cc had been transferred to another dining program. And I thought I was using one that I hadn't used yet!
Old Jan 6, 2020, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
I've consecutively purchased multiple Home Depot gift cards to keep multiple family members' account alive without having to do anything with cookies. Logging into the shopping portal with their linked account should take care of all the account identification - I assume it passes the account info in the URL when redirecting to the HD site - the dozens of characters after the "?" in the URL.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 10:52 am

DP with progress so far for AA shopping portal (miles exp Jan 23):

1/6 purchased $5 in items at Home Depot (not GC) and picked up same day
1/8 transaction showing on portal as posted on 1/6 and 5 miles earned (they have not posted to AA account though).

Did this with all 3 accounts I need to keep alive and didn't clear cookies or whatever. All are showing same thing.

Will update when they post to AA.

Update: sometime between 1/12-1/16 the points posted to AA (with 1/6 as the date). I’m going to put a reminder every August to just deal with this so it’s never an issue again. The panic was annoying.

Last edited by Stgermainparis; Jan 16, 2020 at 7:05 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.