Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Using AA e-shopping portal / Cartera to renew AA miles

Old Oct 30, 2018, 3:53 pm
Original Poster

Hi All,
1. I am looking for suggestions for a low-cost and useful purchase using the AA portal to keep my miles active.
I tried to order some stuff on target but there are a lot of restrictions in the terms and conditions (no household essentials or baby care stuff). So thought I would ask more experienced people if they had any ideas.

2. My miles expire in 2 weeks. Would making a purchase through the portal work?
AA rep told me that my miles might expire but would be restored as soon as they received my purchase information. As long as the purchase date is before expiry date, it's okay. Was wondering if anyone else has done this?

Thank you!
Old Oct 30, 2018, 3:58 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

Good news: ANY activity that changes your miles total will preserve your miles another 18 months.

Further good news: it’s the transactiondate that counts, not the posting date.

The shopping portal is indeed a good way to extend and add miles. The cheapest way is probably buying iTune music.

The easiest way to earn some miles (3 per $1.00 spent, including tip and taxes) is probably to sign up for AAdvantage Dining if you’re in the USA, enroll your credit card and go drink or / and dine at a restaurant near you. See AAdvantage Dining by Rewards Network.

There are two existing related threads you might be interested in reading. In particular, the Wikiposts at the top of the page have lots of good information shared by members.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...an-flying.html

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...rs-issues.html

Last edited by JDiver; Oct 30, 2018 at 4:06 pm
Old Oct 30, 2018, 8:12 pm
Original Poster

Great, I'll check these out. Thank you!
JDiver likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 11:37 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
I've extended miles by buying a cup of coffee at the right Burger King, or by buying a $3 box of cookies at Walmart.com.
AppleCart, JDiver and carlosdca like this.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 8:57 am

Personally I'd avoid the shopping portal. It can take up to 60+ days for them to credit the miles, if they ever do. In the meantime, your miles will expire.
At least that's what happened to my roomate.
Ended up having to pay the reinstatement fee.
Far faster/better to either buy the smallest amount of miles, or if you have an AA credit card, make some sort of small charge $1.00 Amazon GC reload or something.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 3:40 pm
Original Poster

Oh no. that's not good! I just purchased something and am afraid of this exact thing!

Would love to hear anyone else's personal experience with this.

Thank you!
Old Nov 1, 2018, 3:43 pm
Suspended

JDiver likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
You can also buy a few miles from AA.com to keep your miles fresh. I hope you saved your miles.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 9:16 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by AppleCart
Oh no. that's not good! I just purchased something and am afraid of this exact thing!

Would love to hear anyone else's personal experience with this.

Thank you!
You can read a ton of members experiences here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...rs-issues.html.
AppleCart likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I typically purchase a gift certificate from Home Depot for my kids' accounts. Shipping is free, $10 certificate is $10 and I can always use it for something.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by hurnik
Personally I'd avoid the shopping portal. It can take up to 60+ days for them to credit the miles, if they ever do. In the meantime, your miles will expire.
At least that's what happened to my roomate.
Ended up having to pay the reinstatement fee.
Far faster/better to either buy the smallest amount of miles, or if you have an AA credit card, make some sort of small charge $1.00 Amazon GC reload or something.
The purchase date should is the date the miles are posted for. That should reinstate the miles automatically.
If it didn't, then your roommate had a valid complaint with AA. Did the purchase date not show when the miles were finally credited?
JDiver likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 10:45 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
I put a reminder on my Outlook calendar 2 months before miles expire. I don't have an issue with AA but the reminder just popped up yesterday for United. So I bought the $3 box of cookies at Walmart. I could also convert 1000 Chase points to miles, since I have several hundred thousand Chase points and the main thing I'm saving them for is to transfer to United.
AppleCart likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 11:19 pm

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
I don't like the privacy policy for the dining, so I use the shopping portal.

My favorite is Lowe's home improvement. You can do "Free in store pickup" on even small orders, so a $2 pack of light bulbs earns 4 miles and 18 months on the calendar Home Depot might also have the same but I don't know.

Originally Posted by redtop43
I put a reminder on my Outlook calendar 2 months before miles expire. I don't have an issue with AA but the reminder just popped up yesterday for United. So I bought the $3 box of cookies at Walmart. I could also convert 1000 Chase points to miles, since I have several hundred thousand Chase points and the main thing I'm saving them for is to transfer to United.
AAdvantageshopping.com says that miles may take 8 weeks to process. And if there is an issue and you have to wait to get it resolved, you might need longer. So I would recommend moving that reminder to 3 months
Old Nov 2, 2018, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Gig103
I don't like the privacy policy for the dining, so I use the shopping portal.

My favorite is Lowe's home improvement. You can do "Free in store pickup" on even small orders, so a $2 pack of light bulbs earns 4 miles and 18 months on the calendar Home Depot might also have the same but I don't know.

AAdvantageshopping.com says that miles may take 8 weeks to process. And if there is an issue and you have to wait to get it resolved, you might need longer. So I would recommend moving that reminder to 3 months
Yes, but the miles should be dated from the time of the transaction and not the date they are processed, right?
Old Nov 2, 2018, 7:17 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by JDiver
The shopping portal is indeed a good way to extend and add miles. The cheapest way is probably buying iTune music.
I used iTunes to keep some US Airways miles, which later became AA miles, active for years. Good cheap solution. Never cut it close to the deadline though.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.