Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Gate agent upgrades friend / employee over FF

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gate agent upgrades friend / employee over FF

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2018, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
OP should really try that reach out attempt again. It sounds like the Twitter response was just a blanket reply.
OP deserves a personal response.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 9:29 am

Programs: DL Silver, AA EXP, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Happened to my wife during IROPS on a paid first, well a Y-up. She was rebooked into Y (and of course got her $33.00 fair difference). She saw the gate agent and her friend talking by the counter then saw the same friend in F after boarding. Sent a complaint and got the usual boilerplate non-response. American airlines really is terrible.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 9:30 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
I don't see anything wrong here?

Someone correct me please If I am wrong, but I guess this is how it worked:

1. The chatty friend was probably a non-rev. Non-Revs are entitled to First Class seats, if available.
2. There is no combination of keystrokes or typing by which the GA can add a pax to the upgrade list, if the pax is on standby for Y. Also, it is also impossible to have the computer add you to the upgrade list automatically once you are cleared in Y.
3. Economy was full with several pax on stand-by. In order to accommodate all the Y standby pax, the GA has to start working to roll up the cabin, starting with the ELITES on the upgrade list (you were still a Y standby pax so at this point it is impossible that you could be added to the upgrade list).
4. Elite pax and others (miles upgrade, etc) on the upgrade list are cleared to F. After all upgrades are cleared, there is still one F seat available.
5. Non-Rev is given that F seat.
6. A handful of Y seats are now available. As you are #1 on the list, you get one of those seats.
7. As F is full, you are no longer able to upgrade.

Isn't that how it works?
TWA884 and elperro like this.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by enviroian
spewing BS to the OP about upgrade list, apparently upgrading someone else friend/employee. Anything else?
The flight attendant didn’t do any of that...
JDiver, JonNYC and deeruck like this.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 9:37 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Marriott Rewards Platinum Thingy, United MileagePlus Silver, blah on others
Originally Posted by carlosdca

1. The chatty friend was probably a non-rev. Non-Revs are entitled to First Class seats, if available.
2. There is no combination of keystrokes or typing by which the GA can add a pax to the upgrade list, if the pax is on standby for Y. Also, it is also impossible to have the computer add you to the upgrade list automatically once you are cleared in Y.
3. Economy was full with several pax on stand-by. In order to accommodate all the Y standby pax, the GA has to start working to roll up the cabin, starting with the ELITES on the upgrade list (you were still a Y standby pax so at this point it is impossible that you could be added to the upgrade list).
4. Elite pax and others (miles upgrade, etc) on the upgrade list are cleared to F. After all upgrades are cleared, there is still one F seat available.
6. A handful of Y seats are now available. As you are #1 on the list, you get one of those seats.

Isn't that how it works?
Yes. This is the correct answer. Swap #6 and #5 though. The OP gets the first available coach seat but isn't added to the F standby list, as that has already been worked and is closed. Now they might give you the seat, but the process is to get the OP on the plane then work the nonrevs and get the aircraft dispatched.
C17PSGR and TWA884 like this.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by carlosdca

Isn't that how it works?
No, because the non-rev is (likely) flying standby. All the paid standbys should be cleared and upgrades processed for them before any non-rev flying standby is accommodated. Non-revs are entitled to the best, last available seats on the plane.

To correct your order
5. A handful of Y seats are now available. Paid tickets on standby are cleared into Y. As you are #1 on the list, you get one of those seats.
6. Any remaining upgrades should be processed for the now-confirmed passengers. [Gate agent refused to do this, making up a policy stating OP couldn't be added to the upgrade list, even though he is now a confirmed passenger]
7. Non-rev standbys are cleared into the best available remaining seats

You can see this was the process that was followed because OP had a boarding pass in hand prior to the "friend" being called up and given a boarding pass/cleared onto the flight. So the non-rev cleared after the OP, but gate agent refused to add OP to upgrade list which would have taken the FC seat. Additionally rereading the post. There were 2 FC seats available, so the "friend" took 1 of those. OP still should have been allowed to upgrade into that remaining FC seat.
MSPeconomist and seigex like this.

Last edited by Lux Flyer; Oct 26, 2018 at 9:50 am
Old Oct 26, 2018, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by Djokison

The flight attendant didn’t do any of that...
OP should have been ahead of the non rev for F and wasn't cleared into F but the non rev did. This is in error.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 10:27 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
How does one escalate. The inane responses sometimes continue when you reply to their first inane response.
seigex likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 10:29 am

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
No, because the non-rev is (likely) flying standby. All the paid standbys should be cleared and upgrades processed for them before any non-rev flying standby is accommodated. Non-revs are entitled to the best, last available seats on the plane.

To correct your order
5. A handful of Y seats are now available. Paid tickets on standby are cleared into Y. As you are #1 on the list, you get one of those seats.
6. Any remaining upgrades should be processed for the now-confirmed passengers. [Gate agent refused to do this, making up a policy stating OP couldn't be added to the upgrade list, even though he is now a confirmed passenger]

You can see this was the process that was followed because OP had a boarding pass in hand prior to the "friend" being called up and given a boarding pass/cleared onto the flight. So the non-rev cleared after the OP, but gate agent refused to add OP to upgrade list which would have taken the FC seat. Additionally rereading the post. There were 2 FC seats available, so the "friend" took 1 of those. OP still should have been allowed to upgrade into that remaining FC seat.
​​​​​​I am not an expert on this, but I think you are creating a "requirement" for step 6 that doesn't exist. Usually upgrades are processed, then the standby list (including non-revs if there are seats) is processed and the flight is closed. Doesn't mean people haven't been upgraded when on standby, but I don't think there's any procedural requirement.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 10:47 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
I've been told by numerous gate agents that one first must clear the standby list then if any open seats remain in F after all previous upgrades are confirmed (paxs that were originally scheduled on that flight and upgraded) then you can move from Y to F (assuming for example you have sufficient stickers to do so.) I believe that a non rever always comes behind a revenue pax (including those on mileage awards). My hunch is that since it was a short flight the GA thought the OP would just forget about it.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 10:49 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
Originally Posted by elperro
he OP gets the first available coach seat but isn't added to the F standby list, as that has already been worked and is closed.
What does that mean? Do you mean F upgrade list? And what do you mean it is "worked and closed"? Is that actually a procedural step?
Old Oct 26, 2018, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by iadisgreat
​​​​​​I am not an expert on this, but I think you are creating a "requirement" for step 6 that doesn't exist. Usually upgrades are processed, then the standby list (including non-revs if there are seats) is processed and the flight is closed. Doesn't mean people haven't been upgraded when on standby, but I don't think there's any procedural requirement.
NONSENSE - It is possible to get added to the upgrade list after clearing standby, unless the GA has a friend they really want to upgrade.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by voweffekt
I tried, but the response I got back was underwhelming. They apologized, but that's the end. The responses here help, though.
Once you have reported it, it becomes an issue between AA and the employee. Of course it would be satisfying to you to have the GA reprimanded (or worse), but even if that happens, they won't tell you about it.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by Lux Flyer

To correct your order

I am also not sure if your #6 here is correct, as there is no such policy, AFAIK.
Mainly because there is no place on the system to save or make a note that a standby pax with a cleared Y seat was also willing to upgrade to F. The system does not accommodate such reminder, that I know of.

Once upgrades and standby pax are processed, the GA wants to get the flight out ASAP. A GA can't remember on the top of his head that there were certain pax on standby that wanted to get on F - unless F was noticeably empty. Also GAs get all sorts of valid and crazy requests and they can't remember everybody.
In a large flight where 20 pax cleared to Y, how is the GA supposed to remember who were the elites that also wanted to get on the upgrade list?

The GA did not make the rule that you can't get on the upgrade list while you are on standby for Y. It is not possible.
To the OP: when they paged you and gave you your Y boarding pass, you should have immediately requested to be put on the upgrade list (as it was only then that the GA could have added you) and not get in line to board.
It seems what happened was that the non-rev was on standby for F, you were not (you did not request it at the time it was possible)
Old Oct 26, 2018, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by mvoight
NONSENSE - It is possible to get added to the upgrade list after clearing standby, unless the GA has a friend they really want to upgrade.
Nobody is arguing that after clearing standby, one can't be added to the upgrade list. We all understand that.

What is being argued is that once standby pax are cleared, the GA has no obligation to add those cleared pax to the upgrade list. It is up to the pax to ask the GA to be added to the upgrade list but only once pax has Y boarding pass in hand.

Last edited by carlosdca; Oct 26, 2018 at 11:52 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.