Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Bad idea to use D1 vacation pass around Christmas?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2018, 4:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Several...

I need to purchase tickets for our group from CLT to FLL on Dec. 15 and returning on Dec. 23. This is for a cruise so our dates aren't flexible. One of group mates wants to use D1 passes to fly on those dates. How bad of an idea is this? The cruise is already paid for and I would rather not have any mishaps. I know there are no guarantees. I'm figuring with the holidays the chances of using a D1 pass are even more slim than usual.

Your thoughts?
Old Oct 22, 2018, 4:57 pm

Programs: AA,UA,AS
Generally, I'd say flying non rev around Christmas is a bad idea, its an even worse idea if you are going to catch a cruise that is departing at a set date. If the person is really wanting to use their D1 status I would suggest they only use it on the return, because if they were to not get on a flight that day they aren't risking anything.
wetrat0 likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 5:34 pm

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
FT is not usually a great source of information about NRSA travel. However, I would just put this out there: traveling NRSA when you need to be at a particular place at a particular time (like to embark on a cruise) is a terrible, terrible idea. The words " our dates aren't flexible " from your original post just aren't compatible with non-revving, even on a D1 pass (which is the highest priority). This is irrespective of the fact that it is around the holidays, there may be impacts of winter weather [even elsewhere in the system easily affect flights through CLT], etc.

Book a revenue ticket, ideally arriving the day before the cruise.

Edited to add: as freeagent suggests, you could use a D1 pass on the return if you really want...
IAHtraveler, wrp96 and rt23456p like this.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 5:52 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Via magazine has a chart that shows flights demand. Dec 23 would seem to be a very unlikely day for nonrev space, and if there are seats they’ll likely be in high demand at walk-up prices. If they can hold up until December 25, there may be a seat available then. I’d not count on a nonrev seat on the 15th, either.)

What is the cruise line’s refund policy for missing a cruise due to not being able to secure a flight? (Those Lines I’m familiar with will refund bupkis.)
Attached Images  
Old Oct 22, 2018, 5:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
If the person is insistent on a buddy pass for the outbound go for MIA not FLL. More fights. But in general a bad idea.
C17PSGR and rt23456p like this.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
As a former AA employee, I personally would NOT chance it -- particularly these days with the full flights. If you do decide to use the D1, I would definitely start the morning of the day BEFORE your cruise departs.
TWA884 likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 8:17 pm

Did I say this was silly? I meant to say tell your group mate it is insane.
soliloquy and Gig103 like this.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 11:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by soliloquy
I need to purchase tickets for our group from CLT to FLL on Dec. 15 and returning on Dec. 23. This is for a cruise so our dates aren't flexible. One of group mates wants to use D1 passes to fly on those dates. How bad of an idea is this? The cruise is already paid for and I would rather not have any mishaps. I know there are no guarantees. I'm figuring with the holidays the chances of using a D1 pass are even more slim than usual.

Your thoughts?
If you really want to make the cruise, seriously considering buying at least the outbound, roundtrip if you have to get back by a certain date.
It is bad enough it is during the Christmas season, but you also want to travel on 2 specific weekend days.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 12:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by soliloquy

Your thoughts?
If they really want to make the cruise, seriously considering buying at least the outbound, roundtrip if they have to get back by a certain date.
It is bad enough it is during the Christmas season, but they also want to travel on 2 specific weekend days TO FLORIDA..........IN DECEMBER........TO and FROM the 2ND busiest cruise port in the world, on average.......even more so during December............and is even popular with the non cruisers
Old Oct 23, 2018, 5:34 am
Original Poster

I will tell her she just needs to pony up so I can confirm all of our tickets. lol
Old Oct 23, 2018, 5:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by formeraa
As a former AA employee, I personally would NOT chance it -- particularly these days with the full flights. If you do decide to use the D1, I would definitely start the morning of the day BEFORE your cruise departs.
The flights I had on hold had us all flying in the day before the cruise. But, I feel like even given that fact, it's still not worth the stress of possibly not making it there all day. Besides, she should be able to get 20% off her regular priced flight from what I understand.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 7:54 am

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by mvoight
If they really want to make the cruise, seriously considering buying at least the outbound, roundtrip if they have to get back by a certain date.
It is bad enough it is during the Christmas season, but they also want to travel on 2 specific weekend days TO FLORIDA..........IN DECEMBER........TO and FROM the 2ND busiest cruise port in the world, on average.......even more so during December............and is even popular with the non cruisers
Otherwise they'll find themselves cruising around the MIA or FLL concourses for a few days.

I couldn't help myself.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 1:38 pm

Programs: Platinum Pro. .Hilton Honors Gold,
Go for the first flight of the day the day before your cruise departs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.