Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Admirals Club rates increased, new restrictions: 1 Nov 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 19, 2019, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Admirals Club access rules for members changed, membership costs increased 1 November 2019.

Changes to membership link to this page on aa.com

Access changes

Starting November 1, 2019

Boarding passes for same-day travel on American Airlines or partner airlines are required for entry.1

1 Any departing or arriving flight: marketed or operated by American Airlines, marketed and operated by any oneworld® partner carrier, or marketed and operated by Alaska Airlines
This is true regardless of membership type, excluding lifetime members. Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World Elite™ Mastercard® Authorized Users must fulfill the same requirements. (Lifetime Admirals Club members may access Admirals Clubs even if they’re flying non-AA partners, e.g. Southwest, United.)

Declared Business Purposes or rental of a conference facility without a same day boarding pass will not suffice to allow access.

As far as we know, authorized guests accompanying a member do not have to present a same day boarding pass.

No discount is available for a household membership, which will cost $600 regardless of the sponsoring guest’s AAdvantage status.

One Day Passes are available at $59 per person, available for purchase at all Clubs except those where Club refurbishment or construction is going on (currently, ORD and PHL). One Day Passes are not available online.
Print Wikipost

Admirals Club rates increased, new restrictions: 1 Nov 2019

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2018, 12:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by nrr
But in any event, the CAB forced airlines to allow access to lounges (for those willing to pay); fast forward to 2018, could AA only permit "upper echelons" to be AC members?
In theory yes although they'd probably need to be opaque about it. Just look at CK. There are no published requirements and its by sole discretionary invitation only.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
Not exactly.

When lounges first existed they were kind of like CK, by invitation to VIPs who could influence others supporting the airline. Some may have been top fliers, but more were industrialists, politicians, etc. Iirc they were ultimately required to have more egalitarian access due to civil rights legislation, as their “exclusivity” at least appeared to exclude most women, people of color, etc.

I’m surprised to see that the subject of D0 hasn’t been brought up, as IMO that has been a significant barrier to pre-departure lounge time.
I too recollect reading that they started out as mostly <redacted> enclaves.

Now, with these recent changes, and not without some delicious irony thrown in for good measure, you could argue that they only discriminate against their own members! (haha)
worldwidedreamer likes this.

Last edited by JDiver; Oct 19, 2018 at 9:43 pm Reason: Let’s beware of going OMNI/PR, please
Old Oct 19, 2018, 3:19 pm

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
CAB issued a ruling that the clubs were separate and unequal. You can read into that wording what you will.

https://web.archive.org/web/20090114...id=chix-sphere
Old Oct 19, 2018, 3:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Maybe they'll start offering good complimentary alcohol. Paying $8 for a good beer sucks. One can hope.

EDIT: I guess I used the word "good" too loosely. PHX AC near gate A26 wanted to charge me for a bottle of Corona. So I guess I'll be keeping my AMEX Plat for Centurion when I want to drink, and AA for when I want the convenience of the lounge being right next to my gate and airports with no Centurion.

Last edited by seigex; Oct 21, 2018 at 12:01 am
Old Oct 19, 2018, 3:24 pm

Programs: DL PM
So another move copying DL as far as negatives, but the lounges will still likely not be up to the level of DL’s.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 9:46 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Okay, friends, let’s rewind to the pricing, boarding pass requirements and other factors affecting the Club today.

Thank you,

Old Oct 20, 2018, 8:08 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Clearly they want people to use the Citi Exec card for membership due to some LTV financial model. Make other methods for membership comparatively way more expensive and the results predictable.

Although it will not affect me personally, the requirement to have a same day AA BP is going to be a major devaluation for many. My hope is that the net effect will be better, more wholesome food, and wider choice of free/included beverages.
GTITAN and seigex like this.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 6:21 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
General admirals club membership question: If I hold an Admirals Club membership and am flying as a non-revenue passenger holding a same day standby boarding pass, will I be admitted? The website only references a same day boarding pass but does not differentiate between a confirmed seat vs standby.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
... thus raising the question of whether AA considers a mileage redemption ticket a revenue ticket.
Uh, no it doesn’t raise that question. Award travel is not non-rev travel.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 11:22 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by teemuflyer
Clearly they want people to use the Citi Exec card for membership due to some LTV financial model. Make other methods for membership comparatively way more expensive and the results predictable.

Although it will not affect me personally, the requirement to have a same day AA BP is going to be a major devaluation for many. My hope is that the net effect will be better, more wholesome food, and wider choice of free/included beverages.
The irony of this is that I will never actually need to have my Citi Exec card on hand since it's linked with my boarding pass. I still carry it around for ease of entry when without an AA boarding pass. If that's going to be the requirement for entry, I can leave the card at home...
Old Oct 20, 2018, 11:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by OskiBear
The irony of this is that I will never actually need to have my Citi Exec card on hand since it's linked with my boarding pass. I still carry it around for ease of entry when without an AA boarding pass. If that's going to be the requirement for entry, I can leave the card at home...
Being too lazy to pull out my Citi Exec card or boarding pass, I just give them my AAdvantage number and they let me right through.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 5:35 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by OskiBear
I haven't shown my physical card in ages, since I fly AA exclusively within the US, and OW partners, in addition to AA, internationally. Of course, when connecting to/from an international flight in the US, I don't go anywhere near an AC, if I have other options available
Old Oct 21, 2018, 10:23 am

Programs: A: PP, LTG/1.5M | UA: SLV | Bonvoy LTTi | IHG PLT| Avis PC | Nat'l Emerald Club EE
On the fence now about whether to renew at all next year. Wife is GLD and we have had a household membership for a number of years. With a de-facto “marriage penalty”, same-day OW BP requirement, and dwindling number of clubs in the U.S., this looks to be much less worth the cost of membership. Unfortunately, our renewal date is >120 days after 31 Jan, so we won’t be able to extend the household membership at current rates.

If we stay members, the most sensible route seems for both of us to get the Citi card; at $450 each it is much cheaper than either individual or household memberships (even more so if I get the card and just make her an authorized user, albeit less useful for her in a few circumstances). I can’t imagine how this plays out to AA’s advantage—neither one of us will spend one penny more than the annual fee; I use an Aviator Silver card with better benefits for me and she uses a card of her own for her own reasons. So AA ends up getting less for our membership in this scenario.

Old Oct 21, 2018, 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian
United did this already several years ago. How many people in the grand scheme of things are going to be 1. flying a different airline than AA as a top tier flyer and more importantly 2. going to be anywhere remotely near an AC when flying another airline?

I think it's a great idea in crowd thinning.
United's policy change just says you need to have any boarding pass for any airline ...you don't need to be flying United or a Star Alliance carrier.
enviroian likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 8:09 pm

Programs: AA Bonsai EXP (2.9 MM), AS MVPG
Originally Posted by AAir_head
If we stay members, the most sensible route seems for both of us to get the Citi card; at $450 each it is much cheaper than either individual or household memberships (even more so if I get the card and just make her an authorized user, albeit less useful for her in a few circumstances). I can’t imagine how this plays out to AA’s advantage—neither one of us will spend one penny more than the annual fee; I use an Aviator Silver card with better benefits for me and she uses a card of her own for her own reasons. So AA ends up getting less for our membership in this scenario.
Only one of you needs to get the Citi card for both of you to have access, even when traveling separately. So, with that card, your cost is $450 total.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.