Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Is it allowed to carry Gold(III) Chloride Hydrate in the aircraft?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2018, 12:51 am
Original Poster

I want to know if there is possible to carry "GOLD(III) CHLORIDE HYDRATE" in luggage. This material is a gold salt with no acidic nature.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 7:58 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

Are you interested in knowing if H3AuCl4O is allowed to be carried on American Airlines, or any airline? Internationally, or within a specific country?

In the USA, the Federal Aviation Administration might have applicable regulations, but the Transportation Security Administration has other regulations that include the carriage of powdered substances on board. (The FAA would determine whether you could have the substance in your checked baggage.)

What is the policy on powders? Are they allowed? link

Starting June 30, 2018, if you are traveling from an international last-point-of-departure to the U.S., powder-based substances in carry-on baggage greater than 350mL or 12 oz. may require additional screening at the central checkpoint. Powder-like substances over 12 oz. or 350mL in carry-on that cannot be resolved at the central checkpoint will not be allowed onto the cabin of the aircraft and will be disposed of.

For your convenience, place powders in your checked bag.

The measures have already been implemented at U.S. airports nationwide to identify and prevent potentially dangerous items from being brought aboard the aircraft. There are no changes to what is allowed in carry-on baggage at U.S. airport checkpoints.
I would suggest contacting the airline directly, or the FAA, to determine whether Gold(III) Chloride Hydrate can be brought aboard or checked in as hold cargo, rather than a public forum mostly dealing with travel, earning and spending points and miles.

In my personal opinion, quantities other than medicinal for personal use would likely not fly with a profile like:

Corrosive to metals, category 1
Skin corrosion, categories 1A,1B,1C
Serious eye damage, category 1
and

Acute toxicity (oral, dermal, inhalation), category 4
Skin irritation, category 2
Eye irritation, category 2
Skin sensitisation, category 1
Specific Target Organ Toxicity – Single exposure, category 3
Attached Images  

Last edited by JDiver; Oct 13, 2018 at 8:07 am
Old Oct 13, 2018, 10:51 am
C46

On a passenger aircraft, up to 25 kgs of that substance may be transported.

PS: Not only frequent travellers are around over here, also people with DGR Category 10-training.
JDiver, Spiff, nancypants and 3 others like this.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 2:07 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by C46

PS: Not only frequent travellers are around over here, also people with DGR Category 10-training.
Thank you for sharing your expertise, which Obviously supersedes my speculation.

I presume that’s 25 kg / 55 lb in hold baggage, properly packed.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 2:37 pm

Programs: AA - Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Gold, National - Exec, Amtrak - Select, NEXUS
Originally Posted by JDiver
I presume that’s 25 kg / 55 lb in hold baggage, properly packed.
I would further presume this material needs to be declared at check-in as what it is and how much of it is present, so that two different pax don't each try to check 25 kg (properly packed) on the same flight.

I say this so OP doesn't just assume that they can put it in their bag(s) and check it in undeclared.
JDiver likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 11:44 pm
C46

I would suggest NOT bringing it to the Check-In without notifying the airlines in advance.

A Passenger Service Agent is normally not having the knowledge/database to determine, if a substance is good to go.

Furthermore, the airline most likely will require that it is shipped as cargo, as Dangerous Goods are mostly prohibited in passenger's luggage.
The pilot in command needs to receive a NOTOC (Notification to captain), stating what/where/how much of a Dangerous Good are loaded on his aircraft. This is not possible, if pax just put it in their suitcase; therefore a major safety risk!

Certain substances must no be loaded in the same cargo bay, as they might cause a chemical reaction, if they mix - and a e.g. fire in the cargo bay is one of the biggest nightmares, the industry can think of.
JDiver and deeruck like this.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 12:00 am

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
From my previous life:
As shown above item is Class 8 and therefore must be properly packed, labeled, and have a restricted article statement. All dangerous goods must be declared and cannot be in the luggage as it is not accessible in case of problems. You can probably arrange with the airline to transport as cargo on the same flight. Suggest you contact the dangerous goods people at the cargo department of the airline you intend to fly.
JDiver likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 12:17 am

If most people knew basic chemistry they would freak out and realize how dangerous some basic common elements can be. Some rust / Iron oxide can be deadly.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 12:50 am

Programs: QF WP
Purely out of interest, what is the usage of this substance?

i know we used to use gold salts for autoimmune conditions but at first look it doesn’t appear to be one of those
Old Oct 14, 2018, 8:40 am

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Originally Posted by C46

Relevant word highlighted. OP should understand that "may" does not equal "must". In this case "may be transported" just means that the airline is allowed to transport it if the requirements on quantity and packaging are met. It does not mean the airline will necessarily accept it from a passenger as checked or carry-on luggage.

I would go with JDiver's and others suggestions that the airline most likely will not accept it in checked or carry-on luggage unless it's properly packed and you have made advance arrangements. Keep in mind that when you check in on the kiosk or in the app, you have to click "accept" to a page that says you're not transporting any hazardous materials. There was a recent thread from a poster who was upset that their non-declared hazardous substance was removed from their checked bag, and it was concluded that the passenger was lucky not to hear from the FAA for attempting to transport it without properly packing it and declaring it: Pond algeacide removed from suitcase in Reno. So if you do not declare it, there is at least a reasonable chance it will be removed. And of course, there is a chance, however small, that you will create a safety problem for the rest of us. Please don't try to transport this by yourself, call AA Cargo to see what you need to do.
JDiver likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.