Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Pond algeacide removed from suitcase in Reno

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2018, 10:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: Elal Silver, AirCanada Aeroplan, AA AAdvantage, KLM Flying Blue, Continental OnePass, Delta Skymiles

I had bought Aquascape Ecoblast from Amazon:
Amazon Amazon
which is a granular algaecide. Says it very clearly on the label. Was delivered by plane and truck.
On my flight from Reno to LAX to LHR, AA opened my suitcase and removed both jars and left a note (see below).
$56 down the drain. Product does not appear on any FAA Hazmat list.
To whom should I complain?
Old Jul 18, 2018, 10:43 am

Programs: AA EXP - Marriott LT Platinum - National Exec Elite
TSA removed it; not AA. The note you received has email and phone to contact them; but likely a waste of time.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 10:54 am

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by reeg2
TSA removed it; not AA. The note you received has email and phone to contact them; but likely a waste of time.
But, the letter literally says it was removed by the carrier. It's even underlined. It notes that TSA will only remove lighters. Plus the title of the letter and the first sentence of the second paragraph in bolded all-caps.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 10:57 am

Programs: AA EXP - Marriott LT Platinum - National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by skunker
But, the letter literaly says it was removed by the carrier. It's even underlined. It notes that TSA will only remove lighters. Plus the title of the letter and the first sentence of the second paragraph in bolded all-caps.
I had a run-in where the TSA pulled some seasoning samples out of a bag for work. The explanation given to me was that the TSA agent pulled it out of the bag, sent the rest of the bag through, then hands it off to AA to destroy.
Could be wrong - have gotten the run around from the TSA a few times on food ingredients.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 11:30 am

The main component is sodium carbonate peroxyhydrate, which looks like a pretty strong oxidizer to me and shows up on a bunch of hazmat tables. I'll of course defer to the experts and chemists here, but as a layman, I'd not want a bucket of the stuff sitting beneath the floor.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 11:32 am

hnussbacher, it appears the chemical ingredient is an Oxidizer and a Peroxide according to some searching, both which are completely banned.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 11:35 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by hnussbacher
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
which is a granular algaecide. Says it very clearly on the label. Was delivered by plane and truck.
On my flight from Reno to LAX to LHR, AA opened my suitcase and removed both jars and left a note (see below).
Are you kidding me? I don’t want that crap in the hold of any passenger aircraft I’m on. You should complain to the seller, or to yourself. From the label information:

PRECAUTIONARY STATEMENTS: HAZARDS TO HUMAN AND DOMESTIC ANIMALS – (link)

DANGER: CORROSIVE Causes irreversible eye damage. Do not get in eyes, on skin or on clothing. Wear protective eyewear (goggles, face shield or shielded safety glasses). Harmful if swallowed, inhaled or absorbed through skin. Avoid breathing dust. Wash thoroughly with soap and water immediately after handling and before eating, drinking, chewing gum, using tobacco, or using the toilet. Remove and wash contaminated clothing before reuse. When prolonged or repeated contact may occur, use chemically resistant gloves and full body clothing.

ENVIRONMENTAL HAZARDS
This pesticide is toxic to birds. Do not contaminate water when cleaning equipment or disposing of equipment wash water or rinsate. EcoBlastTM is NOT intended for use in drinking water.

ACTIVE INGREDIENTS:
Sodium Carbonate Peroxyhydrate*.............................42.50%
OTHER INGREDIENTS....................................... ...57.50% TOTAL .................................................. ................. 100.0%
*This product is equivalent to 13.80% Hydrogen Dioxide by weight.

PHYSICAL AND CHEMICAL HAZARDS
Strong oxidizing agent. Corrosive. Mix only with water in accordance with label instructions. Do not bring in contact with other pesticides, cleaners or oxidative agents.
Completely Unacceptable for hold cargo, I suspect. I’m very glad this stuff was removed; it means the baggage inspection system to prevent materials that can be dangerous from being carried as checked baggage actually does work, and the people performing the inspections, or at least the one performing this one, has a good head mounted above their shoulders.

If I were you, I’d learn my lesson and let it go - and be glad you weren’t detained at LHR, or have charges have been brought against you. Corrosives in airplane baggage holds... SMH. (Yeah, I have strong feelings about these issues: over the years I’ve lost several people - friends, family, a close colleague - to preventable aviation accidents.)

Last edited by JDiver; Jul 18, 2018 at 12:17 pm Reason: Add label info link
Old Jul 18, 2018, 12:35 pm

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
From my googling it appears that the particular chemical the OP was transporting may be permitted in limited quantities on passenger aircraft, however, there are pretty specific IATA packaging and labeling requirements, which are certainly not met by placing the item in a suitcase.

OP, just because something came via air freight, does not mean you can take it in your suitcase on a passenger aircraft. A shipper sending this item via USPS for example, would have to comply with several regulations regarding how the item is packed and labeled, in order to legally mail it. It is certainly possible to mail it legally. See https://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c3_023.htm, which also mentions that items in this hazard class (5.1) are not internationally mailable.
windchaser777 and JDiver like this.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 1:23 pm

Programs: UA MM, Marriott Gold
What can be flown on cargo flights is not the same as what can be taken on board a commercial airline.

And if you ordered from Amazon, you really don't know if it ever flew or not.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
Even if it is permitted on passenger aircraft that doesn't mean AA allows it and I don't believe they allow any hazardous material other than a limited number of items. AA is supposed to make a good faith effort to contact you at the gate and ask what it is you would like to do with the goods, before departure. If you really want it back, I would suggest you contact RNO baggage services.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 2:46 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by JDiver
Are you kidding me? I don’t want that crap in the hold of any passenger aircraft I’m on. You should complain to the seller, or to yourself. From the label information:
Considering what it says on the label, the OP could get into serious trouble for not being truthful when answering the "Are you transporting any hazardous materials" question during the check-in process. With a clear label like that, "I didn't know" won't fly, and possibly neither will the OP...
IndyHoosier and george 3 like this.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 4:05 pm

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by hnussbacher
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I am a PhD chemist, my work in the industry involve use of peroxide which I have been in this industry for 20 years plus, and ship peroxide products every day at my work.

Active ingredient of Aquascape Ecoblast is sodium percarbonate (CAS# 15630-89-4), where IATA designates as UN 3378, class 5.1, and requires packaging group II.

UN 3378 is not allowed on passenger aircraft, cargo aircraft only. Even on transport on cargo aircraft (such as FedEx and UPS) properly trained person need to make a proper paper work and have to be packaged in proper box (not any cardboard box bought from a store cannot be used). Also proper labels indicating the content need to be placed in the package box.

It looks as it was proper for TSA to remove this item from your checked luggage, I looked up IATA air transport regulations and specially indicated UN 3378 is not allowed on passenger aircraft. However, I am impressed that TSA caught that at the airport. Yes, the instrument devises used at airports supposed to detect peroxide materials but I am still impressed.

I handle peroxide chemicals in the lab everyday, and I am careful of washing off from gloves and my hands at work. However, once I was flying out of OAK and I think it was possible that I had residual peroxide on my hand and some got on my carry on bag. My bag was flagged for secondary screening, TSA agent scanned my carry on using another instrument and it also showed positive result. Then TSA agents got together and started to read a thick manual figuring out what is next.

After reading thick manuals, they figured that my bag needed to be hand searched completely and have tested again by the instrument in presence of an airline representative of an airline I was flying. TSA agent had to call an representative from an airline. The airline representative showed up and asked what kind of security training this person has, looking through the manuals to confirm that it is the proper person to be witness the event. All took close to 40 minutes and at the end I was allowed to go, and all those time TSA agents and airlines personnel were very nice to me. I explained to them that I am a chemist and I do work with oxidizing and explosive chemical every day.

Yes, at the end pilots has final say on if an item will fly on their aircraft or not. I have been in this industry for 20 year plus and only once I experienced our FedEx shipment did not arrive on time. Once I sent a sample to a customer overnight. First thing in the morning I checked if the sample was on the way to the customer, FedEx tracking indicated that it was still at MEM (Memphis). I immediately called FedEx and was transferred to dangerous good department. Was told there was nothing wrong with my shipment. All paper work were good, package was in good shape, not broken or not torn off, etc. Simply my package did not get on the flight at MEM. But that only happened once over 20 years plus of my experience.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Did you even check if this stuff is allowed into the UK??

Old Jul 18, 2018, 5:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP Plat, Mariott Gold, Hilton Gold
Why didnt you just get it shipped to your final destination?
Old Jul 18, 2018, 5:31 pm

Amusingly enough, this was one of the reviews for the product...

This is a great product but do no pack in your suitcase.

When opening my suitcase, there was a TSA note that they had quarantined the Ecoblast.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.