Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Clueless passengers. (In flight speaker VOIP call)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Clueless passengers. (In flight speaker VOIP call)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2018, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by enviroian
Not exactky the same. The other posters account was hearing loud details being given. Your account is of someone snooping on another's laptop screen for personal gain.
I guess that we just disagree. I don't see much difference between announcing confidential information verbally and displaying it visually. Wouldn't a screen privacy mask serve the same function as headphones?
Old Sep 26, 2018, 4:29 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by Uncle Nonny
So where do you draw the line? People playing games or watching media content on their phone without headphones, is that okay? If someone sat next you decided to whip their phone out and started just video recording you on their phone, would that be okay? Would someone seated next to you singing, or playing air drums, or belching or worse, that wouldn't bother you? You have much more patience than I do if that's the case.
So what happens when you knock the phone out of someone's hands on a bus in the city? Or do you just grumble about it under your breath and post on the internet?

I'll politely ask someone to stop something that annoys me, but if they choose not to, that's likely allowable.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by rickg523
Anyone who wants to try and have an intelligible phone call on the subway is free to have at it.
This was about excessively loud calls in otherwise reasonably quiet places.
Somewhere above someone made the correct distinction. If the conversation on the phone sounds like you're conversing with someone seated next to you, no problem. If it sounds like you're yakking at someone across the room, that's self-absorbed enough that remediation is allowed. Swatting phones, maybe not. Making the loudmouth uncomfortable enough to shut him up, probably so.
the inside of an aircraft is quiet? What planes are you flying on?
Old Sep 26, 2018, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kb9522

the inside of an aircraft is quiet? What planes are you flying on?
Sorry, I'm not hanging on the thread. Last time I looked it was about loud guys in the lounge, and that was my reference.
But actually, up front on the planes I fly, you could have a normally voiced phone conversation. I can have a whispered conversation with the person next to me. Behind the wing...I take your point.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 4:54 pm

Programs: VS, BA, C, C++, IoT
Originally Posted by enviroian
A little over the top, no?
Not really. Remember: lounges are chock-full of senior business people, likely including competitors of the caller's company, plus industry and big-name journalists. If I can hear it, so can they. We're talking about the kinds of information that would be locked down under heavy non-disclosure agreements. In one case, data on whose open disclosure the SEC would take a very dim view indeed.

I've run a few companies myself, and helped others at Board level. I'd be both delighted and dismayed to receive a call like the ones I made. It flags a very poor information security discipline within the company, or at least that one person. That's a big problem to be addressed urgently - the blast radius could be enormous. I did emphasise the need for education, rather than discipline, by the way. Whether or not they took that on board, I have no idea.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 5:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares

So what happens when you knock the phone out of someone's hands on a bus in the city? Or do you just grumble about it under your breath and post on the internet?

I'll politely ask someone to stop something that annoys me, but if they choose not to, that's likely allowable.
I don't ride a bus in the city. You also have the option of getting up and moving your seat or standing elsewhere on a bus. Hell, you can even get off at the next stop. Planes? You have your seat and your stuck. You're also paying a lot more money.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 7:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
I guess that we just disagree. I don't see much difference between announcing confidential information verbally and displaying it visually. Wouldn't a screen privacy mask serve the same function as headphones?
No. Can't you tell the difference between using a privacy mask to hide your own screen from others, and using headphones to block out the content of someone else's conversation?
Old Sep 26, 2018, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by deeruck
No. Can't you tell the difference between using a privacy mask to hide your own screen from others, and using headphones to block out the content of someone else's conversation?
No need to get snarky. I was talking about using headphones so that others don't hear what's being said to you. And the screen privacy mask so that others don't see what's being shown to you on your screen.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 5:41 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Uncle Nonny
I don't ride a bus in the city. You also have the option of getting up and moving your seat or standing elsewhere on a bus. Hell, you can even get off at the next stop. Planes? You have your seat and your stuck. You're also paying a lot more money.
I've been on Greyhound busses where pax were using their cellphones to converse with the speakerphone ON, as soon as the driver heard the excess noise an announcement was made [to mute the speaker.]
Before each GH trip begins the driver makes several "rule" announcements, one of which has to do with LOUD conversations and the use of speakerphones.
One remedy bus drivers have (which is more difficult for planes) is to pull off the road and call the police if necessary.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 5:47 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ijgordon
That's just silly. Who are you to judge the relative importance of either the person or the topic of the call?

Frankly, if it's done discreetly (i.e., no louder than an acceptable conversation level between two seatmates), who cares?
I am not judging, its just my opinion,
Old Sep 27, 2018, 6:20 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
People are very, very loose with confidential information - especially in airline clubs.

About four years ago I was in an the Admirals Club at one of the hubs (I won't say which) and I went to go to the bathroom to change my clothes as I had literally run to make a flight (but missed it). Certain hubs have those enclosed lounge rooms/dressing rooms...

I was changing and was throwing out a little junk from my pocket when I noticed in the garbage can a set of papers with "CONFIDENTIAL - DO NOT DISTRIBUTE" marked on the corner of one page. Hmmm.... Pulled it out.

I was a confidential set of financials prepared by an investment bank for use by one of my firm's clients. Had all sorts of operational and divisional P&L data on it including the operational performance data for two new divisions that had been acquired. This was very company proprietary stuff that I recognized as I deal with this type of thing all the time with that client. And there it was, sitting there (folded up) in a trash can in the Admiral's Club.

Pulled it out of the trash, took it home, showed it to the client's managing partner the next morning. We immediately got on the phone with the client's GC and with the client's head of investor relations. Relationship with investment bank was terminated on the spot...
Old Sep 27, 2018, 6:24 am

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
Since commuter trains now often have "quiet cars", where cellphone and other loud conversations are banned, I wonder if airlines will have "quiet zones" on board (and require a fee to sit on them)?

I also don't understand the logic behind making non-time-sensitive calls generally in loud public places such as airport gates; I hear so many people having cell calls when a flight is just ready to board. "Just wanted to say hello..." Can't those kinds of calls wait? Who wants to be on a call in such a noisy place?
Old Sep 27, 2018, 6:56 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by NYCommuter
Since commuter trains now often have "quiet cars", where cellphone and other loud conversations are banned, I wonder if airlines will have "quiet zones" on board (and require a fee to sit on them)?

I also don't understand the logic behind making non-time-sensitive calls generally in loud public places such as airport gates; I hear so many people having cell calls when a flight is just ready to board. "Just wanted to say hello..." Can't those kinds of calls wait? Who wants to be on a call in such a noisy place?
Or the phones that start screaming "we just landed" and proceed to tell anyone within ear sight about their vacation.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
There's a rule against using the internet on a wifi enabled flight? Which one?

Further, it's public transport, not your own personal aircraft. Don't want to hear people talking, fly private. Or do the same people here go around knocking the phones out of peoples' hands on the subway, metro, etc.?
There isn't a rule against using the internet. There is an AA rule regarding audio and earphones.
wetrat0 likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by mvoight
There isn't a rule against using the internet. There is an AA rule regarding audio and earphones.
Where?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.