Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Clueless passengers. (In flight speaker VOIP call)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2018, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines

Sitting in 4A on 2559 to Detroit today. A few minutes after the 10K chime I hear what sounds like someone behind me playing a movie without headphones. A few minutes later I realize this guy is on a voip call and on speaker nonetheless! I turn around and say “”really??” and just continues with his call. I hit the call button and I just motion with my thumb to the guy behind me to her and she has him end the call immediately.

On what planet do you live on that you wouldn’t know this isn’t allowed?
roberto99, JB OmahAA, bbbb and 7 others like this.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 2:31 pm

Programs: UA, AA Plat Pro, DL, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by enviroian
Sitting in 4A on 2559 to Detroit today. A few minutes after the 10K chime I hear what sounds like someone behind me playing a movie without headphones. A few minutes later I realize this guy is on a voip call and on speaker nonetheless! I turn around and say “”really??” and just continues with his call. I hit the call button and I just motion with my thumb to the guy behind me to her and she has him end the call immediately.

On what planet do you live on that you wouldn’t know this isn’t allowed?
I'm sure he was a very important person so the rules wouldn't apply to him.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 2:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Fly enough and you will realize just how dumb the human race has become. Some of the worst offenders can be found in the F cabins or the ACs. Its in no way specific to AA. My favorite are the F paxs that stand in the middle of the aisle during boarding or deplaning going through their belongings holding up 150+ plus people.
GB, htb, Zacnlinc and 16 others like this.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Fly enough and you will realize just how dumb the human race has become. Some of the worst offenders can be found in the F cabins or the ACs. Its in no way specific to AA. My favorite are the F paxs that stand in the middle of the aisle during boarding or deplaning going through their belongings holding up 150+ plus people.
Especially since they just spent two hours in the lounge where they could have arranged themselves conveniently.
In fact, I think with these sorts it's the fact of inconveniencing others that appeals to them and drives their obnoxious behavior
Old Sep 25, 2018, 2:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by rickg523
Especially since they just spent two hours in the lounge where they could have arranged themselves conveniently.
In fact, I think with these sorts it's the fact of inconveniencing others that appeals to them and drives their obnoxious behavior
Or the sense they can say to the world "look at me, I fly first class and you don't."
Old Sep 25, 2018, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by rickg523
I have never really understood this either. You've been standing inside the terminal for several minutes waiting to board and then choose the most narrow, confined space to start fishing out headphones and other gadgets all the while blocking everyone else from boarding. If that's how poorly planned you run your life, I would hate to be the client of these people with no foresight.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 4:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by masamune
I have never really understood this either. You've been standing inside the terminal for several minutes waiting to board and then choose the most narrow, confined space to start fishing out headphones and other gadgets all the while blocking everyone else from boarding. If that's how poorly planned you run your life, I would hate to be the client of these people with no foresight.
same thing for me with people who rush onto the plane only to push their way back to the front to use the tiny little bathroom. Really???
rickg523 likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 4:16 pm

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Originally Posted by infinite97
same thing for me with people who rush onto the plane only to push their way back to the front to use the tiny little bathroom. Really???
At least there's a potentially plausible explanation for this (short connection with no time for bathroom).
LINDEGR and aztimm like this.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 5:44 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by wetrat0
At least there's a potentially plausible explanation for this (short connection with no time for bathroom).
Or my favorite, to check if the 737-MAX bathroom is really as small as they say it is. Sometimes you just can’t wait until 10K to find out.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Originally Posted by masamune
The ones worse than them are those who stand up multiple times to get their stuff out of their bag. C'mon, man. Yes, I've seen them in F, many times
Old Sep 26, 2018, 1:35 am

Programs: IHG Spire Elite Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Aegan Gold, British Airways Bronze
Originally Posted by radiowell
The ones worse than them are those who stand up multiple times to get their stuff out of their bag. C'mon, man. Yes, I've seen them in F, many times
I am guilty of that when transiting and being sleep deprived. Never on the first flight though.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 4:17 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Look at the bright side: at least the wifi speed was good enough for a VoIP call.
TheDudeAbides, Frizzy and AUJeep like this.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 5:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
Look at the bright side: at least the wifi speed was good enough for a VoIP call.
FWIW it was AA Inflight, not GoGo.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 5:43 am

I especially enjoy it when they are loudly discussing obviously confidential or proprietary information.
JDiver, miles4CDG, wrp96 and 6 others like this.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 5:50 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by JetAway
I especially enjoy it when they are loudly discussing obviously confidential or proprietary information.
The entire issue of making business-related calls from any location where one may be overheard suggests poor operational security by the business. Any place which does not explicitly prohibit this conduct by its employees deserves to lose its clients / customers and further puts itself at real legal liability risk in the event of a data breach or loss of trade secret information.

There are very few people who have jobs so sensitive that they cannot be out of touch by voice comms for a few hours and those very few people generally fly private aircraft with secure comms for that reason.

It is a sign of poor organization, self-importance and poor client / customer service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.