Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Parker Threatens End of Changes/Change Fees to Non-Refundable Fares

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Parker Threatens End of Changes/Change Fees to Non-Refundable Fares

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2018, 8:14 am

I am wondering if there could be a middle ground such as no changes within 7 days of the flight, changes permitted before that. This would help people who book several months in advance.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 8:25 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Originally Posted by Often1
I see this as a calculated half-full threat. AA won't eliminate the change fee for inflexible tickets, but may well eliminate SDC. That would leave the standard domestic change fee for the typical inflexible ticket at $200 and not drop it to $75 or $0 on the day of travel. People who require flexibility will purchase flexible fares and the revenue from change fees is protected.

The reality is that UA & DL will move in lockstep and that will leave WN in a pickle. It cannot survive taking over broad swaths of business which changes "for free" constantly or it will suffer the same problems others suffer now. Or, its fare structure, not exactly a bargain today, will take a significant jump.
Southwest has never charged a change fee in its 45+ year history, and they are consistently profitable, including during bad times when its fee loving competitors post big losses and file bankruptcy. Having no change fees works well for Southwest.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 8:53 am

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
Faulty observation in article: "Doing away with changes to nonrefundable fares would make airline flights more like baseball games or concerts, where customers aren’t typically reimbursed if they buy tickets and can’t use them. Carriers currently consider the ability to change a nonrefundable ticket as a service that carries a cost. Such fees, which run up to $200, anger many passengers."

Stubhub allows you to do just that....
Except there will never be a Stubhub equivalent for airline tickets...
Old Sep 19, 2018, 8:54 am

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by Science Goy
I haven't paid an ATM fee in 10 years, so... yes, exactly.
Yes- only dumb people pay ATM fees :-)
Old Sep 19, 2018, 8:58 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
How would a US version of EC 261/2004 do anything in this situation?

EU carriers, for the most part, do not offer changes to inflexible tickets, do not offer a "flat tire" and are much stricter about deadlines. The referenced regulation may provide a cash windfall to delayed passengers, but not sure how increasing carriers' operating costs to put a bit of cash in the pockets of employees traveling on the employer's dime helps.

If you want to see just how well micro-managing regulation worked in the US, just take a look at the CAB and fare-structuring prior to the ADA.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 9:24 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond

EU carriers, for the most part, do not offer changes to inflexible tickets, do not offer a "flat tire" and are much stricter about deadlines. The referenced regulation may provide a cash windfall to delayed passengers, but not sure how increasing carriers' operating costs to put a bit of cash in the pockets of employees traveling on the employer's dime helps.

If you want to see just how well micro-managing regulation worked in the US, just take a look at the CAB and fare-structuring prior to the ADA.
From my recollection all airlines flying a given route charged the same fare, but competed on service [like serving pax in Y lobster salad flying UA from ORD to LGA--we're lucky to get pretzels in F today], tickets were fully refundable and the airlines were in the black.
The USA261 would be modified for the USA marked.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by jk88usa
Congress is trying to limit change fees, and Parker basically says if they do that, he's not going to allow changes on non-refundables.
All this would do is help WN. I'm sure they would love the problem of coping with additional influx of higher-fare business flyers who make occasional changes.

Originally Posted by Science Goy
This would basically align AA with a number of international carriers.
This is not that market. At all. Domestic US flying is one notch above public transit. International carriers do not work that way.

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
(AA) does value your business - it may, however, not value it as highly as you would like to it - it is just a business - of course what it cares about is making as high a profit as possible.
These posts wailing that "All AA cares about is the bottom line!" amuse me. What else are they supposed to care about? AA is not a philanthropy. They are simply testing, all the time, to see how much worse they can make the total value proposition before it costs them measurable traffic. Mr. "Let's-charge-everyone-for-water" Parker has a long history on this front.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 9:51 am

Programs: AA EXP
I miss the Choice packages of a few years ago where you could pre-pay for changes at $80. It was a way to construct a flexible fare. Some airlines elsewhere in the world offer several grades of flexibility at time of purchase, would be good see AA bring that in.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 9:53 am

You're being overly literal. The point is that government regulations can often work to the advantage of consumers without overly burdening businesses, and EC 261/2004 is an example of that even though it has nothing to do with change fees.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 9:56 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by Collierkr
Except there will never be a Stubhub equivalent for airline tickets...
What makes you say that? There isn't one until somebody creates one.

And if you think back pre-911, there was indeed one: the newspaper. Who else remembers ads for "AA one way ticket available, male passenger, SAN-PDX on 11/08. $150.00 OBO"?
Old Sep 19, 2018, 10:13 am

Programs: Starriot Platinum, DL PM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Explorist

And if you think back pre-911, there was indeed one: the newspaper. Who else remembers ads for "AA one way ticket available, male passenger, SAN-PDX on 11/08. $150.00 OBO"?
Stubhub only works if the tickets are transferable, or if the ID isn't checked. That is no longer the case for airline tickets.
strickerj likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 10:16 am
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Ed, Oscar, and Gary are all licking their lips in anticipation of this.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 10:21 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent

If concert and sports venues had a Government agency willing to enforce non-transferability policies on their behalf in the name of "national security" Stubhub wouldn't exist either.
GUWonder and strickerj like this.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 11:19 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, BA Gold, UA Gold MM, DL SM MM, Hyatt Glob, HH Diam, Marriott Ti/LT Plat, IHG Plat
AA may already be tightening up its policy on change fees. A couple of months ago I made a change to a complex international itinerary. My motive for the change was that I wanted to return on a different day. But since there had been a time change on one of the partner codeshare segments on my original itinerary, the EXP agent was able to waive the change fee, which I am virtually certain she said would have been $200. A few days ago, with most of the trip already completed, I tried to make another change in the return portion of the same itinerary. I asked whether the change fee might once again be waived, since there had been a couple of further small involuntary changes to my itinerary. This time the EXP agent said there was no way to waive the change fee, which had somehow gone up to $250. "We received a memo recently that from now on in order to waive the change fee the reason needs to be something really serious."
Old Sep 19, 2018, 11:24 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
The question is would AA lose more corporate business that would offset the impact from use it or lose it tickets. The $200 (pure profit) revenue potential would be gone. Did Parker speak off the cuff or does AA have empirical evidence this would work financially to their AAdvantage? Also this would make historical revenue models irrelevant for a period of time as likely behavior would change (more people might fly if the value of the entire ticket would be lost and changes can't be made.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.