Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Once boarded, can you get off and then get back on?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2018, 3:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver

Last time I was one the upgrade list with miles/copay, I was passed over as i was on the plane. I had asked and they said they would come and get me, but didn't because they said they didn't have time to process the SWU copay. If I have a good chance, I hang out by the desk, but I was #6 with only 3 seats available (I cleared because of lots of couples didn't want to split). I was watching the app, so I knew something was up, and actually interceded successfully (but not without a lot of pushback).

So I'm wondering if I'm in the same situation, can I go on board, store my bags, and then go back out? Or am I faced with a choice of no upgrade if I clear or no-place to store bags if I go out.

Last edited by beachfan; Aug 30, 2018 at 8:27 am
Old Aug 29, 2018, 3:55 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Once boarded, if you deplane there is probably a process to get you back on. You would definitely need to talk to the FA and GA before you pass back through the boarding door.

I also think they would frown upon you leaving your bags on the plane and getting off, particularly if it's an international flight.

Next time, just hang at the gate until the last possible minute.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

SWUs have co-pays?
Old Aug 29, 2018, 6:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If you offload, the agent must manually pull you. Unlikely that you are permitted to reboard and, depending on the Captain, the FA, and the GA, there may also be some ugly security ramifications if you leave anything behind.

Extraordinarily unlikely that the GA not only does all of this, but reinstates you to the UG list.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 6:18 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Originally Posted by ijgordon
SWUs have co-pays?
Must likely LHR-US. The "luxury tax"
Old Aug 29, 2018, 10:52 pm
amm

Think it’s not supposed to happen. Had someone get off a flight over the wknd after boarding (left cell phone at gate) and crew said they weren’t allowed back on so a companion grabbed both of their carry ons and also deplaned. For an upgrade, they’d have to pull you up.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 1:03 am

Programs: Lots
Interesting replies as I have disembarked a few times domestically due to chronic losing track of my phone and needing to hunt it down. Its never been an issue, just need to bring my boarding pass with me and explain to the GA why the boarding pass is going to scan as already on board.

internationally sounds like may be a different sitiation though, I'd check with the flight attendants on your actual flight rather than relying on anything you hear on here though.

Upon further thought I remember a time when I did this on an SFO-NRT flight on UA due to leaving my phone in the lounge. It was 8 or 9 years ago but at least at that time it was certainly possible to leave and re-board. Again though, discuss with the flight attendant before disembarking.

Last edited by IggySD; Aug 30, 2018 at 1:13 am
Old Aug 30, 2018, 8:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by ijgordon
SWUs have co-pays?
My bad, I meant miles/copay and have corrected my OP. Sorry!

Thanks for the replies. I have also done it successfully before but not recently.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IggySD
internationally sounds like may be a different sitiation though, I'd check with the flight attendants on your actual flight rather than relying on anything you hear on here though.
Good point actually. I had left some stuff in the boarding area at BCN once flying back to JFK and the FAs said I couldn’t get off the airplane for security/immigration/etc reasons, but they sent a maintenance guy or something to get it.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 12:18 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by arollins

Must likely LHR-US. The "luxury tax"
Indeed! From the SWU thread:

UK Air Passenger Duty / APD for LHR/UK departures: (Often incorrectly called "Luxury tax"): Departing from the UK (or on a layover of 24:00 or longer via the U.K.), you'll be charged the full APD (the lowest cabin class - usually economy - pays only half APD). This applies for upgrades to business only. Upgrading business to first doesn't incur this, (since your business ticket already included the full APD). This does not apply TO the U.K. or to connecting in under 24:00 in the U.K. Other airports may impose other taxes, e.g. HKG is USD $2.80.

So SWU upgrades from J to F cabins don't have a payment component associated with them but Y to J, yes.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 12:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Interesting replies as I have disembarked a few times domestically due to chronic losing track of my phone and needing to hunt it down. Its never been an issue, just need to bring my boarding pass with me and explain to the GA why the boarding pass is going to scan as already on board.

Upon further thought I remember a time when I did this on an SFO-NRT flight on UA due to leaving my phone in the lounge. It was 8 or 9 years ago but at least at that time it was certainly possible to leave and re-board. Again though, discuss with the flight attendant before disembarking.
That is a bit different than what OP is proposing, e.g., offloading himself from the flight, having the GA offload him from the manifest, wait by the podium and then reboard, hopefully in F/J.

The former is a courtesy and does not involve having to process any paperwork.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 9:03 pm

This has been my experience (embarrassedly) from times when I have left my cell phone behind. In all cases (gulp that I am admitting this) I was allowed to deplane after surrendering my boarding pass---and then hd my pass replaced after successfully reclaiming my phone. In 2 of the cases, the admirals club phoned the gate because I had left my alternate phone number on the back of the phone.

I strongly suggest the whole world write it's cell phone number on the back of the phone and a number to call should such phone be found by someone. It's eminently valuable if the phone is left in a taxi or wherever. Has saved my A$$ many times. Another mechanism that I have had to use is use my backup cell (which I and many

My wife, who is weary of my foibles (and unsympathetic after time) has been the beneficiary of my being saved like this. I would add that the process has actually worked very well, with my getting off the plane, surrendering my boarding pass, and showing up to reclaim, well before they were going to close the door.

Downside is that I have been late for predeparture beverage in first class a couple of times. Guess I can cope with that.

I have never made this type of transgression on an international flight, but I suspect I might have to appeal on that some day (unless my dementia improves).
Old Sep 1, 2018, 5:35 am

Programs: Lots
Originally Posted by Often1
That is a bit different than what OP is proposing, e.g., offloading himself from the flight, having the GA offload him from the manifest, wait by the podium and then reboard, hopefully in F/J.

The former is a courtesy and does not involve having to process any paperwork.
Fair point but there’s absolutely nothing stopping the OP from claiming to have left his or her phone off the plane, disembarking to “retrieve” it and then on the way back on mentioning to the GA that they had a pending upgrade and wondering if it would clear. They’re certainly capable of processing the upgrade after a boarding pass has been scanned so it shouldn’t make any difference if the individual is actually on the plane or has disembarked for whatever reason.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.