Wiki Posts
Search

C space on EF vs AA SWU waitlist

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2018, 3:23 pm
Original Poster

C space on EF vs AA SWU waitlist

Hello all-

Quick question as a newbie: My wife and I are traveling BWI-DFW-HKG-DFW-BWI in the fall on AA, and we were gifted SWUs for the transpacific segments (neither one of us has status). Of course, we were waitlisted. I signed up for EF Premium to track C availability, on the recommendation of this forum. I've been trying to decipher the trends (available C upgrades vs. # of open business class seats, day of the week, # of days before the flight that space opens up, etc.) and am at a total loss for rhyme or reason.

My question is this: If I see available C upgrades on EF, can I necessarily assume that there is nobody on the waitlist (or that everyone who was waitlisted has already cleared)? It seems inefficient at best (and cruel at worst) that there would be upgrades available while there are people still sitting on a waitlist. But then again, maybe I'm overestimating the aviation industry...

TIA!
Old Aug 29, 2018, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
C can show up (if you have an alert) and then get processed by the waitlist. If you see C > 0 for a period of time and your upgrade hasn't cleared, call. But typically If C > 0, my upgrade has already cleared.

DFW-HKG is a tough one. Good Luck!
IflyonAA and WindowSeatThief like this.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 6:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Yes, there is known to be a possible lag between when C is published and when the waitlist processes. The length of the lag can vary--sometimes the list processes without C getting published publicly, sometimes it's almost instant, and other times it can be quite a few hours or even days. Some agents prevent those already on the waitlist from abusing this lag to jump the potential queue, but they seem to be in the minority. Almost all agents, however, will happily process a new upgrade request if C is published without going to check if there's a waitlist.
WindowSeatThief and Beltway2A like this.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 7:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by dkc192
Some agents prevent those already on the waitlist from abusing this lag to jump the potential queue, but they seem to be in the minority. Almost all agents, however, will happily process a new upgrade request if C is published without going to check if there's a waitlist.
Which is why, if your alert goes off, I'd go ahead and call right away rather than waiting!

You might also set alerts for LAX-HKG-LAX if the upgrade is important to you. Easier to clear. There are DCA and IAD flights to LAX. Yes you'd have to pay a change fee and possible fare difference but (1) it might be worth it and (2) if there has been a schedule change (technically 61+ minutes but not strictly enforced) then you might be able to make the switch without paying any extra at all and lock in the upgrade.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 8:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3.4MM, BAEC, UAMP, Skyteam (<10k) HH Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz Gold, GE/TSA TT
Originally Posted by platbrownguy
Which is why, if your alert goes off, I'd go ahead and call right away rather than waiting!
Absolutely! Call right away.
As for me, I've gotten C alerts from EF many times, and have always called immediately to get the upgrade cleared. I did not know whether or not there was a waitlist (besides me that is) but C was >0 then I always got the upgrade right away, with the alert happening anywhere from 30 mins to 2 weeks before departure.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 9:18 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
I've had alerts pop up for C, call the EXP line, and have them tell me that there is no C available.

One issue is that there may be 10 people on the waitlist, C pops up and you receive an alert, but in the interim someone clears folks higher up the list.

And as others have said ... DFW-HKG is a difficult upgrade for those with status so I wouldn't get too excited ... but maybe you'll get lucky.
WindowSeatThief likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 9:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by billgrates3
Absolutely! Call right away.
As for me, I've gotten C alerts from EF many times, and have always called immediately to get the upgrade cleared. I did not know whether or not there was a waitlist (besides me that is) but C was >0 then I always got the upgrade right away, with the alert happening anywhere from 30 mins to 2 weeks before departure.
I find that usually it's already in the works behind the scenes or whatever, but at least a couple times it just hadn't happened yet. I have not yet encountered these agents who aren't willing to do it. Seems silly when they would theoretically have no problem grabbing the C inventory to book you a new ticket. (of course it's also silly that the release of C inventory isn't directly connected to clearing the waitlist, it's 2018 guys)
Old Aug 30, 2018, 6:59 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
I've had alerts pop up for C, call the EXP line, and have them tell me that there is no C available.
How close to departure did you get these alerts, and/or how much time passed between you getting the alert and calling AA? FWIW, I've had one or two instances where I got a C alert when I was on my computer, went to double check EF right away, and saw C0. A friend has reported a couple of similar instances. In all cases (his and mine) the seemingly false alert came around midnight local time the night before departure. Unsure whether it's an issue with EF or the GDS.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
When that EF alert goes off man you gotta call quick. I was on a match date once during drinks and it went off and I had to excuse myself to call AA.

Stressful times.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 7:44 am

Programs: AA EXP (LT Plat 2MM), Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat75, UA1K
Originally Posted by platbrownguy

You might also set alerts for LAX-HKG-LAX if the upgrade is important to you. Easier to clear. There are DCA and IAD flights to LAX. Yes you'd have to pay a change fee and possible fare difference but (1) it might be worth it and (2) if there has been a schedule change (technically 61+ minutes but not strictly enforced) then you might be able to make the switch without paying any extra at all and lock in the upgrade.
We were scheduled AMS-DFW-ORD for next weekend. Booked in PremEcon and waitlisted for J using SWU's. Looked like it would be a tough upgrade. Used EF and saw that AMS-PHL-ORD was at C4 so called AA. They had to refare the ticket since AMS-PHL doesn't have PremEcon. The new fare was $177 less per person than we originally paid since we were now booked into regular Y. With the change fee of $275 per ticket, it cost us an extra $98 per person and we are confirmed in J. We also get into Chicago 2 hours earlier. So WindowSeatThief, EF is a great tool to see if there is upgrade availability and it may not cost you as much as you think to change flights to confirm the upgrade.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 8:02 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
As it gets closer to T-0 EF scans for "C" more often.
I had an EF alert (for a flt in November) checking on AA.COM I saw that I was upgraded, though EF's alert never kicked in.
Once I received an alert notification from EF, timestamped 5 minutes after the flt departed.
There are threads on FT noting that whoever calls first to snag the upg gets it...sometimes bypassing the waitlist sequence--I benefited from this perk a few times.
So: check AA.COM and EF often.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 8:35 am
Original Poster

Everyone- amazing insights. Thanks! Will keep you posted

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.