Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

767-300 / 763 [opinions and general discussion]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

767-300 / 763 [opinions and general discussion]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2018, 5:44 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Originally Posted by superweak
I'm hardly a fan of the 763 in the back (will avoid as necessary) but sometimes I wonder how anyone managed to travel across the Atlantic circa 2005 without committing suicide.
Originally Posted by C46
Or even earlier, with just the screens & projectors and pneumatic earphones...!

Somehow people used to ..... less, about small issues.
I've flown in the 763 in Y as well with no issues, however, while others have updated/refurbished their older planes, AA has not. This aircraft is being used for transatlantic service, it should at least have some sort of amenities to compete with others. Seat power, wifi, ife.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 6:09 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
The biggest issue is that they seem to have become maintenance hogs similiar to the 762s in their final days. In back its definintely a 1980s experience. At least the front in long haul gets tablets. I think all but 5 will be gone by the end of 2020. The newer ones are younger than some of the older 772s (those 763s with individual air vents).
Old Aug 23, 2018, 7:12 am

Programs: AA - My other choices are severely limited
Well, currently they are running a daily rotation MIA-LAS-MIA (AA1368) with this beast and having no other choice last Sunday we were stuck with it, albeit in J.
Brought back many many memories of the '90's since it and it's sibling '57 were just about all you could ride out of MIA.
2020/21 can't come soon enough. Thank You, Bob Crandall.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Nomorepretzels
Well, currently they are running a daily rotation MIA-LAS-MIA (AA1368) with this beast and having no other choice last Sunday we were stuck with it, albeit in J.
Brought back many many memories of the '90's since it and it's sibling '57 were just about all you could ride out of MIA.
2020/21 can't come soon enough. Thank You, Bob Crandall.
Eh, I would be thrilled to death to get a 763 in J on a route like MIA-LAS.
ijgordon, wrp96 and Austin787 like this.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 7:41 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
I don't get to fly in wide bodies all that much being DFW hubbed with predominately domestic travel, but I don't mind the 763 for getting from point A to B. Sure it is old and limited in amenities, but the 2-4-2 layout is very nice compared to the 777s or 757s or 787s - at least you can avoid sitting next to strangers when flying as a couple, and when you fly alone you have equal chances of getting an aisle seat or only having one lap to crawl over. But that is me -- I don't expect or care much about AA provided entertainment (I'm much more of a reader on the plane) or wifi, I never fly in international J/F anyways to give me any expectations (too expensive for personal travel at this point in my life and even with platpro I get zero free upgrades for int'l flights, and J/F is not allowed for work travel no matter how far I go), but I do care about having easy access to bathrooms and aisles on long hauls, (Have you ever tried to crawl gracefully over two laps of sleeping people in coach???)

Anyways, that is my only comparison (I haven't yet gotten any experience being in a A330 yet, which also appears to have that sweet 2-4-2 Y layout).
Old Aug 23, 2018, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Austin787
Long walks, bus rides, slow security lines, rude staff
I mean, I've encountered 3 of those 4 in AMS, CDG, BRU, and FRA, for starters, and I'm not sure I really agree with you on the rude staff at LHR.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MarkOK
Sure it is old and limited in amenities, but the 2-4-2 layout is very nice compared to the 777s or 757s or 787s
Shhh!!!! Don't give them any ideas.
(The 767 is actually 2-3-2 in coach, which is even better -- only 15% middle seats, vs. 25% on the A330 and 33% on 757/777/787.)

But yes, it's pretty common knowledge here that AA's 763s are dumps in the back. I think they're totally fine up front on international (domestic you don't get IFE), and competitive with Delta which flies a TON of 767s. (DL has built-in IFE which some prefer, but I like AA's seats slightly better, I think the armrest goes down to give more shoulder room, no?)
TWA884 likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 8:50 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Wonder if AA's last 763 flight will have flight number AA767.

Originally Posted by ijgordon
I mean, I've encountered 3 of those 4 in AMS, CDG, BRU, and FRA, for starters, and I'm not sure I really agree with you on the rude staff at LHR.
I've seen rude staff at LHR
Old Aug 23, 2018, 9:30 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
The flight experience in Y has not necessarily improved over the past decade, as OP indicated it was the last time he was in Y. Sure, Y has gotten improved IFE, seat power, but they also have seen a reduction in seat pitch, seat width and slimline seating. Arguments can be made regarding which aircraft has the better Y experience, in my case I will go with a 2x3x2 seating (76x) 2x4x2 (33x) 2x3 (MD80) over other options thus minimizing the risk of being in middle seat as discussed above. There was a reason why OP picked this flight in particular, and it was to avoid connecting in LHR, AA only option was PHL-LIS, and this was the option he chose. TP, DL and UA offer direct service from NYC market, as well.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 9:36 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
The 763 and PHL deserve one another. It's a very fitting marriage.

I'm glad AA is moving most of the 767 flights to PHL, and using them so much on the new leisure routes to Europe. Most of the pax on those flights are likely 1x per year fliers. So it's pretty wise of AA to stick them on an antiquated 767, as many of them have no idea how much better DL or UA's product is on those same planes.
Antarius and AANYC1981 like this.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 9:48 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
I just can't believe how many times AA had to actually make this plane a nice ride........there was a point after 9/11 (entertainment boxes installed only to have no in-seat IFE), then NGBC, and then again when they put the lie flat seats in. It's not all LUS to blame as LAA was the one who didn't do the proper refit when the lie flats went in. Heck.....even the 75L's got in-seat IFE in J with NGBC (now to be ripped out by LUS management).

Everything with AA these days is the worst of both airlines combined.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
The biggest issue is that they seem to have become maintenance hogs similiar to the 762s in their final days.
Which I simply do not understand. The average age of the AA 763 is the same as the 772s. Why are the 763s such a dispatch disaster?

I avoid the 763 as I seem to have an MX issue every single time I am on one.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 10:07 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by Antarius
Which I simply do not understand. The average age of the AA 763 is the same as the 772s. Why are the 763s such a dispatch disaster?

I avoid the 763 as I seem to have an MX issue every single time I am on one.
and yet Delta has no chronic problems with their 50+ 763s
Old Aug 23, 2018, 11:06 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Admirals Club Member, HHonors
I feel like Air Koryo would take the cake over an AA 763 any day of the week!
Is Air Koryo really 1 Star? Business Class Beijing to Pyongyang Tupolev-204
nivsy likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 11:35 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Eh, I would be thrilled to death to get a 763 in J on a route like MIA-LAS.
This bird is also on the MIA-SFO-MIA rotation as well. Think it alternates is West runs out of MIA. Often I see the previous flight is coming from there when I select my outbound MIA flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.