Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New beers coming to AA 1 Sep 2018

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2018, 8:46 am

Programs: AA (EXP, 3 MM), Hyatt Globalist, Taj InnerCircle Silver, MLife Noir, former LHW-Aurelian
Originally Posted by bchandler02
I would like to see AA branch out on beers, but hopefully this is a start. There's some really good stuff out there (Chimay, St Bernardus, Guinness come to mind off the top of my head).

The problem is that 95% of the people I know (and likely the public) don't know many beers beyond the domestic 3 sewage that they grew up on. Many cannot stand darker beers that actually have flavor.
Fascinating post-- thanks so much for sharing this link.

As an amateur (i.e. non-professional) beer expert, I have travelled the world on AA/OneWorld over the past two decades (UK, Germany, Belgium, Japan, S. Korea, etc.) tasting exceptional beers (nearly 5,000 different ones on my list and counting). Totally agree that beers such as Chimay and other Trappist ones would be amazing but since they are in glass bottles rather than cans it would make stocking and serving somewhat problematic outside of Business/First class. I would LOVE to see them there, of course, but given the carbonation it would likely warrant an entire bottle to be served on the flight after opening (as opposed to wine or spirits which can sit just fine).

Long story short, it is nice to see an increase in the flavorful beer selection. Appreciation of good beer is exponentially bigger now than in years gone by (IPA at the ballpark is commonplace now when unheard of before) and I'd love to see the next 'Ken Chase beer' be featured on the menus of AA sooner rather than later!

Cheers/Prosit/Kampai!
JDiver and GTITAN like this.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 8:58 am

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by MasterPlanner

As an amateur (i.e. non-professional) beer expert, I have travelled the world on AA/OneWorld over the past two decades (UK, Germany, Belgium, Japan, S. Korea, etc.) tasting exceptional beers (nearly 5,000 different ones on my list and counting). Totally agree that beers such as Chimay and other Trappist ones would be amazing but since they are in glass bottles rather than cans it would make stocking and serving somewhat problematic outside of Business/First class. I would LOVE to see them there, of course, but given the carbonation it would likely warrant an entire bottle to be served on the flight after opening (as opposed to wine or spirits which can sit just fine).

Long story short, it is nice to see an increase in the flavorful beer selection. Appreciation of good beer is exponentially bigger now than in years gone by (IPA at the ballpark is commonplace now when unheard of before) and I'd love to see the next 'Ken Chase beer' be featured on the menus of AA sooner rather than later!

Cheers/Prosit/Kampai!
I thought Ken Chase got canned?
Old Aug 16, 2018, 9:12 am

Programs: AA (EXP, 3 MM), Hyatt Globalist, Taj InnerCircle Silver, MLife Noir, former LHW-Aurelian
Originally Posted by jcatman
Hopefully you mean figuratively rather than literally?!

Seriously though, I personally am unsure of the story behind his absence but was simply (and perhaps inelegantly) longing for a beer expert to provide changing selections of this increasingly-popular beverage on AA flights. (Happy to volunteer, AA, if you happen to be lurking on this thread!
GTITAN likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 9:13 am

I know that they want/need to standardize systemwide to due to scale and all that, but it would be nice to at least have some regionalism to the beer selection. For the IPA, they could do, say, Dogfish Head or Harpoon for the East Coast flights and Lagunitas, Ballast Point, or New Belgium for West Coast flights. I somehow think that if they really put the screws to the caterers, they could somehow figure out such a complicated matter, but...

That being said, I would be happiest without Goose Island anything. Even before the macro takeover, their beers always just tasted very industrial to me, like they were brewed in a tank that hadn't had the cleaner rinsed out of it. Just a very astringent taste that persists long after the beer is gone. Idk if it's their hops or what. I still notice it in all their brews.
bchandler02 likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 1:14 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
The problem as many have mentioned is that a true craft beer is typically very regionally based. I was at Four Peaks in PHX the other day before the flight where a guy asks for a Yuengling and the bartender very quickly responded in a joking matter that he was too far west of the Mississippi. The point is, AA likely needs to make sure anything they make available can be catered at any of the locations that they do it. One of my favorite breweries out of Wisconsin is New Glarus - famous for Spotted Cow - where they don't sell outside the state. A lot of craft beers build their popularity by limiting the availability. I think we can all agree Sam Adam's is no longer a true craft beer but at least it is a step outside of the norm. The other two options I think many would find to be much appreciated.

My issue with a lot of craft beers isn't necessarily the flavor rather that they are often not cold enough. I love IPAs but in my opinion they need to be properly cooled. Perhaps that is why I was never a fan of the Voodoo Ranger. It will be interesting to try out Goose because I am a fan of their IPA (not my favorite but I will purchase it from time to time) but if it isn't properly cooled it likely won't be the same.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 1:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by JDiver
If the email is accurate in its depictions, the New Belgium Vodoo Ranger IPA would apparently be replaced by the New Belgium Fat Tire Belgian White. For IPA, the Goose Island.

I don’t mind a white for hot summers, but I prefer an IPA onboard.
I didnt know they started making Witbier under Fat Tire name. I would prefer original Fat Tire instead and Goose Island IPA is better than Voodoo Ranger IPA.

PS. I'm a homebrewer and made these styles many times
GTITAN likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 1:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by MasterPlanner

Cheers/Prosit/Kampai!
Sounds like you put your travel to good use to sample many fine beers. I agree with you about cans and think that serving beer in bottles is doable. Perhaps they can serve it in FC / BC and give the entire bottle to those that request it.

On the side note I think next year I'll finally get around to doing a Beer Tour of Belgium which includes visits to several Trappist breweries. I was tied up this summer and couldnt do it and its only done twice per year (July and August I believe) but next year it might be on.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 1:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by jcatman
I thought he did too......there is a new person doing the wines for the clubs and I thought he was doing in-flight as well, but maybe I just assumed that.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 1:37 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by arlflyer
I know that they want/need to standardize systemwide to due to scale and all that, but it would be nice to at least have some regionalism to the beer selection. For the IPA, they could do, say, Dogfish Head or Harpoon for the East Coast flights and Lagunitas, Ballast Point, or New Belgium for West Coast flights. I somehow think that if they really put the screws to the caterers, they could somehow figure out such a complicated matter, but...

That being said, I would be happiest without Goose Island anything. Even before the macro takeover, their beers always just tasted very industrial to me, like they were brewed in a tank that hadn't had the cleaner rinsed out of it. Just a very astringent taste that persists long after the beer is gone. Idk if it's their hops or what. I still notice it in all their brews.
It's all in how you sell this.
Carry the primary 5 or whatever that are consistent, and then copy what bars do. Have a seasonal/rotation, that can be 1 of however many depending on the flight. That way, if something isn't available, or you have leftover from another flight, no issues, just put something in that slot.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by wetrat0
Goose Island IPA is not bad, and I prefer Fat Tire to anything else currently offered onboard in the beer category.

Sam Adams isn't "craft beer" according to any serious beer drinker and hasn't been for at least a couple decades. Although Goose Island is owned by AB now they still do produce some beers independently in Chicago (not the IPA though). New Belgium is by far closest to a true craft brewery. It's 100% employee owned. However, it's currently the 8th-largest brewery in the USA according to Wikipedia. I can't really blame AA though, as having to cater these drinks from hundreds of locations means they need to source from companies that have a national presence!
It's interesting how many (not all) judge beers not by taste but by who makes them, where they are made, etc. It's all about the back story; even beer that tastes like a liquid excretion can be made to taste good by pairing it with a good story about how it is only brewed on moonless nights by virgins.

Indeed, in the old days when Coors was not sold east of the Rockies, it was greatly prized east of the Rockies, even though it actually tasted like the abovementioned fluid.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 2:14 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by WiscAZ

Ballast Point > Goose > Voodoo

When it comes to IPAs
Green Flash>Ballast Point > Goose > Voodoo

Having gone to school in Colorado, its been interesting to watch New Belgium grow. They used to only be in Colorado and Kansas. I used to bring a case of Fat Tire or Sunshine Wheat as a carry-on prior to 311 being implemented.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 2:22 pm

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
All these posts on beer means only one thing dAArksiders! Time to pop a cold one!

Safe Travels (Drinking)!
Old Aug 16, 2018, 2:55 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
It's interesting how many (not all) judge beers not by taste but by who makes them, where they are made, etc. It's all about the back story; even beer that tastes like a liquid excretion can be made to taste good by pairing it with a good story about how it is only brewed on moonless nights by virgins.

Indeed, in the old days when Coors was not sold east of the Rockies, it was greatly prized east of the Rockies, even though it actually tasted like the abovementioned fluid.
The brewery is actually east of the Rockies.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 6:22 pm

Programs: US Chairman no more. AA EXP
I'm good as long as they keep the Bud Light.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 7:34 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by bchandler02
Hate to see this, the voodoo ranger is the best beer AA has right now. Enjoyed it onboard today actually.

Goose is crap, and Fat Tire is severely overrated hipster beer.
All I've seen is that we have three new beers. Are we sure that Voodoo Ranger is leaving?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.