Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

EXP for 2019 going free agent - Warning YMMV

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EXP for 2019 going free agent - Warning YMMV

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2018, 6:12 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by Dallas49er
So am I (embarrassed). On AA it is an APFA grievance, started by (probably) ELDERLY, BURNED OUT...

But I continue to shovel sand against the tide .
Maybe it's just you and your poor attitude/tone. I was on a HKG-LAX recently that had 4 FA's with 40+ years each. One just hit the 40 years and the other three were friends who bid the flight to celebrate with her. The service was fantastic. Over the past 30+ years flying AA, I occasionally have experienced a few service lapses, but generally speaking I find the FA's, even the "old biddies" as you like to rail against, to be professional and friendly. Obviously you are some sort of "blame it on the unions," DYKWIA character who wants to generalize based upon a few experiences where they didn't kiss your fat behind. Get over it: American-Love it or Leave it.

And, I think you are shovelling something other than sand, but it is a 4 letter word starting with 's.'
Old Aug 15, 2018, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by rbAA
Maybe it's just you and your poor attitude/tone. I was on a HKG-LAX recently that had 4 FA's with 40+ years each. One just hit the 40 years and the other three were friends who bid the flight to celebrate with her. The service was fantastic. Over the past 30+ years flying AA, I occasionally have experienced a few service lapses, but generally speaking I find the FA's, even the "old biddies" as you like to rail against, to be professional and friendly. Obviously you are some sort of "blame it on the unions," DYKWIA character who wants to generalize based upon a few experiences where they didn't kiss your fat behind. Get over it: American-Love it or Leave it. And, I think you are shovelling something other than sand, but it is a 4 letter word starting with 's.'
Seriously? Yeah, OP made up his story.
The problem is that most of us have similar bAAd experiences.
You either got lucky and/or have very low expectations and standards.
You are in the minority and are delusional or an AA employee if you think AA provides consistently excellent service any more.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 6:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Maybe it's just you and your poor attitude/tone. I was on a HKG-LAX recently that had 4 FA's with 40+ years each. One just hit the 40 years and the other three were friends who bid the flight to celebrate with her. The service was fantastic. Over the past 30+ years flying AA, I occasionally have experienced a few service lapses, but generally speaking I find the FA's, even the "old biddies" as you like to rail against, to be professional and friendly. Obviously you are some sort of "blame it on the unions," DYKWIA character who wants to generalize based upon a few experiences where they didn't kiss your fat behind. Get over it: American-Love it or Leave it.

And, I think you are shovelling something other than sand, but it is a 4 letter word starting with 's.'
"Occasionally"??? Please, share your routes... LOL. I'd love to be able to report a similar experience, but lately it's been a mess. Similarly, I'd love to be able to say that I only "occasionally" miss my connection in CLT because "our gate is currently occupied", but this August I've missed about half a dozen connections... Secondly, I'm a bit confused by the assertion that FAs bidding on a route to celebrate a colleague's tenure merits kudos. Colleagues first, customer second I guess...
Old Aug 15, 2018, 7:25 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold

The unions threw Tom Horton out the emergency door and purposely did not deploy the emergency slide. The unions then got into bed with Doug Parker, who played them a song on his flute that promised the employees champagne dreams and caviar wishes. But guess what? That didn't work out too well, the union members are unhappy again, and no one enjoyed a cigarette after the unions and Mr. Parker were finished with each other and declared that the love affair is over.

And now? It's the AA passengers getting screwed because a significant number of AA employees don't care about the service levels they provide, and AA management has zero interest in addressing the situation.

If possessing this viewpoint on the matter means I'm shoveling something, then you better duck down before you get hit with reality.
SFO777 likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 7:57 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Originally Posted by SFO777
Seriously? Yeah, OP made up his story.
The problem is that most of us have similar bAAd experiences.
You either got lucky and/or have very low expectations and standards.
You are in the minority and are delusional or an AA employee if you think AA provides consistently excellent service any more.
Hahaha. Sorry I shouldn't laugh, but I do blame the poor educational system in much of the US for your inability to read and understand the English language. Or maybe you skipped that or weren't properly motivated to learn. Either way, I believe if you took my post word by word, you would see that I have experienced some service lapses, but that I don't generalize to any age group or other characteristic. In fact, some of the service lapses I experienced were by younger FA's, seemingly consumed by (anti-)social media, junkies that needed a fix from their smartphone/tablet, etc. That is the nature of dealing with people, no one is perfect. Patience and compassion is the key to maintaining a good balance, so rather than becoming unhinged, move on. I didn't say that the OP made up his story, just that his attitude and tone may account for much of his disappointment. My delusions are concentrated in other areas than AA FA's, so I maintain a healthy moderation of expectations. I think it's the OP who has the unreasonable expectation here, based upon a clear reading of his posts. While I long for the good-old-days of TWA FC to Europe, ordering the rack of lamb cooked to my liking, or the platter of Chateaubriand, with rare to well done and everything in between, that is just a distant memory that no amount of complaining is going to bring back. Have you flown CX J recently? Even there the standards are heading down.
Andriyko likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by CHOPCHOP767
"Occasionally"??? Please, share your routes... LOL. I'd love to be able to report a similar experience, but lately it's been a mess. Similarly, I'd love to be able to say that I only "occasionally" miss my connection in CLT because "our gate is currently occupied", but this August I've missed about half a dozen connections... Secondly, I'm a bit confused by the assertion that FAs bidding on a route to celebrate a colleague's tenure merits kudos. Colleagues first, customer second I guess...
Here we go again. The English language appears to be more difficult than expected these days. I didn't say they put their colleague ahead of the passengers. In fact, I said the service was fantastic. The two ideas are not mutually exclusive and can exist in the same time and space. It's not physics after all. If ever the OP's premise would have any grounds for being an accurate reflection of the other person in this problematic relationship he complains of, it would be where the deck in high (more "old biddies" that he likes to disparage.) Instead, fantastic service was provided. Just a data point, as are the OP's experiences.

Maybe if you are finding CLT to be a problem, the definition of insanity should come to mind. (In case you are not up to speed on that, it's doing the same thing and expecting a different result. Never mind.)

And, I use AA for HKG-LAX RT's, as I'm retired in BKK. Occasionally fly them to MCO as I am developing some land near the beach. Or, SFO, ORD, IAD/DCA, PHX, and DEN as I have some friends and family nearby each. I'm also UA 1K so I choose the best, most reasonably priced flights with the best chance of UPG i.e. this month while we are in the US we are going to Hawaii and the UA SFO-OGG flights were more convenient and wide open in FC-though it is a 737.
Andriyko likes this.

Last edited by rbAA; Aug 15, 2018 at 8:29 pm
Old Aug 15, 2018, 9:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB

[...]

Maybe if you are finding CLT to be a problem, the definition of insanity should come to mind. (In case you are not up to speed on that, it's doing the same thing and expecting a different result. Never mind.)

[...]
LOL! Yes, I've certainly had issues with CLT connections, but AA transPac? IME, that has certainly been... fun. Good luck with your upgrades...

OP's points are perfectly valid, but I'm glad you're happy with "great is what we're going for". Which, in the English language means that "great" is not necessarily what's provided...
Old Aug 15, 2018, 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by jcatman
If possessing this viewpoint on the matter means I'm shoveling something, then you better duck down before you get hit with reality.
No, I agree that there has been substantial deterioration in all airlines. If anything, I sense dispair and a longing for a long-lost memorable "reality." Well, the reality is only in your memories. You list BA as one of your programs. Have you actually flown them recently? I did in April OSL-LHR-LAX RT in PE. They are much worse. As I mentioned, my last few CX J rides have been fine, just not over-the-top service-wise as one would expect. Things change. Deal with it, or don't.

I do hope that the AA employees didn't open the emergency exit in flight. That could be messy.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by CHOPCHOP767
LOL! Yes, I've certainly had issues with CLT connections, but AA transPac? IME, that has certainly been... fun. Good luck with your upgrades...

OP's points are perfectly valid, but I'm glad you're happy with "great is what we're going for". Which, in the English language means that "great" is not necessarily what's provided...
I have 100% UPG success with my SWU's on HKG-LAX-HKG (even a DFW-HKG this coming November as I need to come back to see my new grand daughter,) as I only select flights that have immediate UPG available. I am retired and can fly midweek with planning way ahead. It's not too difficult to find them if you look.

Advertising/marketing BS is just that. I don't let it disturb the reality of the situation.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 9:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP / 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold
So am I (embarrassed). On AA it is an APFA grievance, started by (probably) ELDERLY, BURNED OUT...

However, it is OFFERED UPON BOARDING on CX, JL, LH, Korean, Malaysia, China Southern, and the list goes on.

It shouldn't be yet another continuing conflict point of AA FA vs AA PAX about doing ones job vs doing the absolute minimum one can get away with.

But I continue to shovel sand against the tide .
I haven't had them offer it to me on JL the past 3 times I've flown them longhaul up front. In fact, last week, they never even got the mattress toppers out of the overhead - I'd say that 80% of the people didn't even know they were up there. When I got mine down at one point, the lady in the suite opposite asked me what it was.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 9:44 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Hahaha. Sorry I shouldn't laugh, but I do blame the poor educational system in much of the US for your inability to read and understand the English language. Or maybe you skipped that or weren't properly motivated to learn. Either way, I believe if you took my post word by word, you would see that I have experienced some service lapses, but that I don't generalize to any age group or other characteristic. In fact, some of the service lapses I experienced were by younger FA's, seemingly consumed by (anti-)social media, junkies that needed a fix from their smartphone/tablet, etc. That is the nature of dealing with people, no one is perfect. Patience and compassion is the key to maintaining a good balance, so rather than becoming unhinged, move on. I didn't say that the OP made up his story, just that his attitude and tone may account for much of his disappointment. My delusions are concentrated in other areas than AA FA's, so I maintain a healthy moderation of expectations. I think it's the OP who has the unreasonable expectation here, based upon a clear reading of his posts. While I long for the good-old-days of TWA FC to Europe, ordering the rack of lamb cooked to my liking, or the platter of Chateaubriand, with rare to well done and everything in between, that is just a distant memory that no amount of complaining is going to bring back. Have you flown CX J recently? Even there the standards are heading down.
Sam Chui, is that you?
Old Aug 15, 2018, 9:53 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
how many airlines in the world have systemwide upgrade like AA?

BA has GUF2. TK has upgrades. (1 round trip?) Delta has SWU (has to be the elite). UA has minimum fare class.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 10:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me

YMMV, and mine has. Perhaps one is shoveling AApologist s***, and it is not me.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by jcatman
Sam Chui, is that you?
Sorry, no. Want to ty again?
Old Aug 15, 2018, 10:27 pm

YMMV, and mine has. Perhaps one is shoveling AApologist s***, and it is not me.
Sorry, but who is apologizing here? I basically agree with your premise and have stated that AA is not as good as it was nor should be. I just diverge in your tone and attitude. If it's so bad, vote with your pocketbook. Stop insulting people as that's the last defense of one who doesn't have any. Any other biases you want to share with us?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.