Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

EXP for 2019 going free agent - Warning YMMV

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EXP for 2019 going free agent - Warning YMMV

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2018, 7:21 am

Not to hijack the thread, but i'm in a similar situation. I'm a current EXP with AA, but I've had a "serious" lack of travel this year for work (only 17k EQMs, and only a $4k EQD). I expect my domestic travel to pick back up here in September. Obviously I'm not even a glimpse into being considered for CK let alone EXP for another year (been an EXP YoY since 2007). Seeing as how they are now offering status matches to people who have NO status all the way to EXP, and not doing much with current customers.... this makes me shudder a bit.

What options are available to get to a top tier on perhaps another airline? Or is there something that can be done with American yet? Or am I basically screwed and have no options.... ???
Old Aug 15, 2018, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by usafltg
What options are available to get to a top tier on perhaps another airline?
Unless you're senior with a corporate account Delta does challenges, not matches (and not to Diamond it is said). Think about the route networks more than status, really. Connections suck v. non-stops.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 7:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Originally Posted by NeedstoFly
Quite enjoying the image of you shaking your little fist at the CEO of AA and in a cloud of splutter yelling "I am revenue, you are expense" though.
LOL

​​But I don't splutter, and I don't shake my fist. Nonetheless, it is a funny image.

In spite of the WSJ article (baloney), I don't think anyone in AA "Management" would climb down from their ivory towers to fly with the great unwashed masses. Parker sightings anyone? 2018, 2017, 2016, ...
enpremiere and NeedstoFly like this.

Last edited by Dallas49er; Aug 15, 2018 at 11:08 am
Old Aug 15, 2018, 7:45 am

Programs: AA LT Gold; BA Silver; Hilton Diamond
I retired in mid-2014 with LIfetime Gold status and a pile of AA miles. I feel a bit of an attachment to AA because that does mean no checked bag fees, use of Priority lines, and sometimes an earlier boarding group. Sometimes I can't figure it out at all- after not flying AA for over a year I was upgraded (using the 500-mile certs) on 3 out of the 4 segments on a round trip between MCI and BOS.

Still- for the long hauls I consider myself a free agent and it's very liberating. As others have said, the perks of loyalty can be bought for the price of a Business Class fare. Since retirement I've made two trips to KEF on IcelandAIr and selected UA for my upcoming trip to Edinburgh because the price and the schedule were better. I did just get the AA MC for the 60,000-mile signing bonus and that will affect my decisions somewhat, but when it comes up for renewal all bets are off.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 7:46 am

Originally Posted by usafltg
Not to hijack the thread, but i'm in a similar situation. I'm a current EXP with AA, but I've had a "serious" lack of travel this year for work (only 17k EQMs, and only a $4k EQD). I expect my domestic travel to pick back up here in September. Obviously I'm not even a glimpse into being considered for CK let alone EXP for another year (been an EXP YoY since 2007). Seeing as how they are now offering status matches to people who have NO status all the way to EXP, and not doing much with current customers.... this makes me shudder a bit.

What options are available to get to a top tier on perhaps another airline? Or is there something that can be done with American yet? Or am I basically screwed and have no options.... ???
Contact United about a challenge to 1K when you are a little bit closer to your expected fall travel. IIR, I got 1K immediately for 3 months and was able to extend it for the next year by flying 35,000 (I think) miles in that 3 month period. Subject to some conditions. Having done that, I'm within striking distance of qualifying for *A gold for another year by flying just 15K more UA miles. Works for me.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 8:01 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Think about the route networks more than status, really. Connections suck v. non-stops.
Yes, but there can be significant differences in experience that counterbalance that. I "gave up" AA loyalty last year, even though I'm lifetime plat (actual flying would never get me more than gold) because I live closer to IAD (UA) than DCA (AA). I spent the last several months flying nonstop, but mostly United Express crap out of IAD, with inconvenient gates (OMG, that A concourse, unbelievably awful), cancelled flights, purchased E+ seats that turned out to be not in E+, nonexistent service (OJ and water only on a 1.5 hour late afternoon flight, really?), rude FAs, etc. AA isn't always great but I'm going back (which mostly means DCA and likely more connections), even at the cost of an occasional $70-90 Uber ride to my car at a commuter rail station. The overall stress is just lower.

Last edited by chazas; Aug 15, 2018 at 8:16 am
Old Aug 15, 2018, 8:15 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Originally Posted by beachmouse
Someone who does not want to play the credit card churn or points maximization game, but holds onto an airline co-branded credit card because they fly at least 3 domestic round trips annually but not enough to get status, and who likes the earlier boarding and free checked bag a co-branded card get you.

Away from FT, I suspect the typical co-branded cardholder is actually someone who does a handful of family or leisure trips a year and figures the card just makes things easier enough to justify the annual fee.
That is why I got my Exec card -- I was doing about 4 work trips and 3 'family' trips a year. Not really even enough EQD/EQM to get Gold, but for a $450 annual fee, I avoided ~500$ in baggage fees (all my trips are 7 days or longer, often requires a mixture of casual and formal wear, and I don't care to pack 'light')), we have a lounge during layovers (which are on 100% of our trips) where my wife and I can drink some cheap wine and the kid could play on a computer in the kids room, and minor perks such as avoiding those dreaded check-in kiosks, having AC angels to deal with our IRROPs (a god-send in convenience and service about twice a year), and global entry credit (to slightly speed up immigration and customs on the return for that 1 international trip a year) with precheck privileges (worthless 80% of the time, but that 20% of the time when it matters, it sure matters). I've never used the card for purchases -- 25K EQM does me no good to get me to the next level (my EQD and EQM earning rate has always been spot on equal grounds for me), and the miles aren't worth more than 1.3 cent/mile to me (compared to easily 2 cent/pt with Hyatt or 2% cash back on another CC).

Now I fly enough to get Gold naturally, perhaps Platinum (-- my PlatPro is via a conveniently timed challenge), so some of the CC calculus has changed -- I get free bags anyways, but I get more value than before in terms of AC access; still no reason to spend a dollar on the card when the EQM boost does zero good for me because I don't have the EQD to match.

And to circle back to the thread -- Since most -tangible- benefits can be bought for an annual fee of $450, I don't think status between "member" to "plat pro" means anything at all other than the mileage boost with the higher statuses (it takes forever without the mileage bonus to earn enough for a free flight), and if you fly certain routes the higher statuses may get you some domestic upgrades to domestic F (usually, on short segments where at best you can choose a low value snack from a basket), and though I don't place nearly as much value for MCE as it seems others do, it is nice to have a wide selection of seat choices. At ExecPlat -- the only additional benefits is maybe more domestic F upgrades (still can be scant depending on your routes), and SWUs, which to me on the outside looking in look very attractive because paying J or F for international flights is a reach -- If I had the money to just by the best F value out there anyways, the attractiveness of securing SWUs certainly lessons. Compare that with my hotel loyalty program (--- confirmed suites for up to 4 weeks a year, other upgrades at check in, free breakfasts or lounge access, waived fees for this and that, free night certificates, good enough pt redemptions that more than half my nights on personal trips are free, and at some properties a nice welcome amenity, etc), the Aadvantage loyalty program is a gigantic nothing burger.

Fact: My hotel loyalty program, not AA and not even work, has actually led me to double my rate of personal travel, which is primarily why my travel with AA has increased over the last year as has my AA status.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 9:27 am
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
Originally Posted by HiAperture
Lean times bring innovation, incentivisation, and competitiveness. Fat times bring laziness, profit over service, and commoditization. That is why business cycles need a little hardship every now and then to keep things from going stagnant, and businesses allowing their models to get stagnant leads to hardship.

It always amazes me how big businesses just squeak past disaster in recessions, then once they reach success again they forget everything that got them there, and start to cut costs and benefits to raise margins, disgruntling and cutting off their most loyal customers first. Eventually they end up back in the bottom of the cycle again and wonder how they got there.
As much as I agree with you let us not forget that Parker says they will never loose money again.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 9:33 am

Programs: AA LT Gold; BA Silver; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by beachfan
And those that think passenger loyalty no longer matters may not feel the same when the cobrand credit card revenue drops like a rock. Who puts most of their charges on an AA cobrand card if they aren't trying for EQM or EQD boost?
I agree- my primary card is a Fidelity 2% cash back card but I just got the AA MC. I'll get the 60K mile bonus easily, and with the current miles in my account will be close to the miles needed for unrestricted Business Class to Europe- one of the best values in terms of $ per mile. Will definitely use it for double mileage on AA travel and probably use it for foreign currency purchases since there's no additional FX fee. That's about it.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 9:36 am

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
if you travel enough, you can be a both free agent and exp.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 9:43 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Dallas49er
when I go up and ask for refill of wine, ELDERLY BURNEDOUT FA says "The curtains are there for reason!. We are on break!". Me: All I want is a refill of wine. Its been 30 minutes since anybody came through the cabin. ELDERLY BURNEDOUT FA says "You all are suppose to sleep on this flight. That's why I bid it." Me: Sorry to bother. May I have refill of wine, and my wife would like more hot water for her tea. ELDERLY BURNEDOUT FA says "OK, I'll be right there." Me: Its ok. I'll wait here. ELDERLY BURNEDOUT FA says "Oh ok" and gets up. Me: How about 2 hot waters for my wife and 2 wines for me, so we don't inconvenience you and your staff any more than we obviously have.
Seriously?
Old Aug 15, 2018, 10:03 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
I disagree with the manner in which you've expressed a few of your points, but you have to do what you think best. You're the only one who can decide what works for you. I wish you well.

Originally Posted by Dallas49er
(TPAC F FA refused turn down, saying it was "beneath" her)
What is there to "turn down"? I am perfectly capable of laying out the limited bedding they provide in F or J. It's not a hotel. Quite honestly, I'd feel embarrassed to ask someone to do it for me on a plane. YMMV.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 10:47 am

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by SJOGuy
I disagree with the manner in which you've expressed a few of your points, but you have to do what you think best. You're the only one who can decide what works for you. I wish you well.

What is there to "turn down"? I am perfectly capable of laying out the limited bedding they provide in F or J. It's not a hotel. Quite honestly, I'd feel embarrassed to ask someone to do it for me on a plane. YMMV.
C'mon. Eliminating turn down service would deprive true celebrities like Zach Honig, Brian Kelly and Sam Chui of a critical posting to their respective Instagram accounts.
ijgordon and prw555 like this.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 11:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Originally Posted by SJOGuy

So am I (embarrassed). On AA it is an APFA grievance, started by (probably) ELDERLY, BURNED OUT...

However, it is OFFERED UPON BOARDING on CX, JL, LH, Korean, Malaysia, China Southern, and the list goes on.

It shouldn't be yet another continuing conflict point of AA FA vs AA PAX about doing ones job vs doing the absolute minimum one can get away with.

But I continue to shovel sand against the tide .
SFO777 likes this.

Last edited by Dallas49er; Aug 15, 2018 at 11:38 am
Old Aug 15, 2018, 11:32 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by Always Flyin

What benefits exactly?

1) Standby for later flights. I visit DC a decent amount to visit family. On the Sunday DCA-LGA flights, I just book whatever the cheapest flight is, standby, and show up to the airport at my leisure. Makes flying back and forth pretty seamless. Probably the main reason I would want to keep AA status.
2) Decent upgrade percentages on business trips, even as a Gold
3) Have used the priority check-in lane a few times this year
4) Free bags

When combining award flights, business trips, and leisure trips, I'll probably do about 60,000 BIS miles this year (obviously a lot less than many here). Status has made it a bit easier.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.