Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA Special LAS-NRT flights during CES

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2018, 12:31 pm

Well, if they are selling LAS-ORD tix for that flight, then everyone must get off the bus in LAS!
Old Aug 13, 2018, 12:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
I'm impressed that AA is adding extra flights for CES (which is a major, major to do), but if I were a ticketed passenger who booked to fly NRT-ORD and suddenly found myself in a 6 hour "adjustment", I'd be a little miffed.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 8:46 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, AAdvantage, Southwest, HHonors, National
Originally Posted by YtravelF
This constitutes a major schedule change.
Call and ask to be put on the JAL non stop flight. Shouldn’t be an issue
Wouldn't that depend on JAL availability? I'm on a Y reward ticket and I've heard JAL is stingy with releasing seats to partners.

I didn't mention it in my original post but my final destination is CMH. Almost all of the schedules to CMH departing NRT early evening arrive at around midnight. Switching to a different routing won't really make a difference unless an earlier flight to CMH shows up. Also not really keen on taking the morning flights from NRT, I was set on maximizing my last day in Tokyo.

Oddly enough, I didn't see LAS as a layover option or AA 186 in my Google Flights or AA.com searches for NRT-CMH or NRT-ORD. Did separate searches for NRT-LAS and LAS-ORD, just to see if AA 186 would show up. The current one-way (MC) pricing for the segments are polar opposites, LAS-ORD is $250~ and NRT-ORD is $6,200~. R/T is $5,300~ for NRT-LAS-NRT. Is this type of pricing normal for big conventions?
Old Aug 14, 2018, 6:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Gradfly
Wouldn't that depend on JAL availability? I'm on a Y reward ticket and I've heard JAL is stingy with releasing seats to partners.

I didn't mention it in my original post but my final destination is CMH. Almost all of the schedules to CMH departing NRT early evening arrive at around midnight. Switching to a different routing won't really make a difference unless an earlier flight to CMH shows up. Also not really keen on taking the morning flights from NRT, I was set on maximizing my last day in Tokyo.

Oddly enough, I didn't see LAS as a layover option or AA 186 in my Google Flights or AA.com searches for NRT-CMH or NRT-ORD. Did separate searches for NRT-LAS and LAS-ORD, just to see if AA 186 would show up. The current one-way (MC) pricing for the segments are polar opposites, LAS-ORD is $250~ and NRT-ORD is $6,200~. R/T is $5,300~ for NRT-LAS-NRT. Is this type of pricing normal for big conventions?
If you want to have an evening departure from NRT then the AA NRT-DFW flight is about your only option. Is there a NRT-DFW-CMH routing that works better? If yes, then I'd for sure give AA a call and ask to switch based on the schedule change.

Otherwise, it shouldn't be any problems to find coach award availability on on the JL NRT-ORD flight, but that does mean a late morning NRT departure, as you mentioned. JL also has evening departures to BOS and JFK, although not sure of the schedules to get you back to CMH from there.

As to the pricing, not quite sure what your question is, one-way international pricing will always be out of whack compared to domestic and the round trip equivalent.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 6:41 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, AAdvantage, Southwest, HHonors, National
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
If you want to have an evening departure from NRT then the AA NRT-DFW flight is about your only option. Is there a NRT-DFW-CMH routing that works better? If yes, then I'd for sure give AA a call and ask to switch based on the schedule change.

Otherwise, it shouldn't be any problems to find coach award availability on on the JL NRT-ORD flight, but that does mean a late morning NRT departure, as you mentioned. JL also has evening departures to BOS and JFK, although not sure of the schedules to get you back to CMH from there.
Thanks, I'll take a look at that routing as well as the BOS and JFK options.

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
As to the pricing, not quite sure what your question is, one-way international pricing will always be out of whack compared to domestic and the round trip equivalent.
It was more on the level of pricing. I know that one-way will be more expensive than R/T, however this is my first time seeing intl economy flights priced that high 5~ months out.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 7:01 am

I can see 4 viable options for you (you didn’t mention your exact date, but all seem to be daily except NRT-SAN-ORD-CMH).

NRT-SAN-ORD-CMH 17:05-20:36
NRT-DFW-CMH 18:25-21:58
HND-LAX-CMH 19:20-23:58
HND-SFO-ORD-CMH 19:45-23:41
If you’re really insistent on NRT, there’s a NRT-LAX-CMH flight as well, but it leaves earlier than the HND-LAX flight.

The latest departure I’ve found (doesn’t seem
dsiky, though)
Old Jan 15, 2019, 6:02 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
non-stop(?) from LAS to NRT on 1/14/19

I was waiting at gate D8 for LAS-JFK #969 to board, on the pa I heard lots of announcements in Japanese, I checked the flt board and there was a LAS-NRT (dep. approx. 11:00 AM) listed. On google flights for the next week there were NO las-nrt flts listed (even with connections) departing around 11:00 am.
CES ended on Friday, 1/11/19 this flt may have been related to CES.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 6:09 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Yes, CES related flight.
MasterPlanner likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 9:19 am

Programs: AA PPro
Correct, AA flew an NRT-LAS-ORD flight for CES in lieu of one of their regular NRT-ORD direct flights.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 1:23 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MIAFlyer
Perhaps, but since international arrivals in ORD go to T5, if no one is allowed on in LAS it may be allowed to continue as an "international" flight and still dump everyone into US Customs/Immigration in Chicago.
Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
AA is selling tickets for LAS-ORD AA 186 (788) portion alone, which implies that all passengers will clear customs and immigration at LAS. If ORD bound passengers do not clear CIQ at LAS then AA will not able to carry and sell tickets for domestic only LAS-ORD portion passengers.
Everyone will have to clear customs/immigration at LAS even if going onto ORD. It is the first point of entry into the U.S.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.