Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Compensation for AA mistakenly canceling return ticket?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Compensation for AA mistakenly canceling return ticket?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2018, 6:47 am
Suspended

Programs: DeltaPrivateJet, Ritz PP, Delta 4 million miler - Flying Colonel; AA Exec Plat (3 million + USAir)
what does fine print of ticket say. When younger and flew overseas all the time, you had to confirm your return or else you were canceled. Dont know if that is still required
Old Sep 18, 2018, 7:53 am

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
The UK requires API, and there would be hiccups at immigration if she was not on a manifest. Does the UK have some FOIA equivalent procedure?
Old Sep 18, 2018, 8:47 am

+1 to filing a DOT complaint. I did this once with WN a few years back. I found the process to be quite painless. The airline replied even more quickly and very apologetically after the complaint was filed. Their CS is fantastic on any day but it stepped into a higher gear when the complaint entered the picture.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by BeatCal
what does fine print of ticket say. When younger and flew overseas all the time, you had to confirm your return or else you were canceled. Dont know if that is still required
Definitely not required on AA anytime recently, and OP's sister did call in advance of the flight to see what was going on.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 10:03 am

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by bevoinva
...She did take a couple of pics of the flight map during her flight but no way to tell it was from that specific flight. Very frustrating - any help appreciated.
Using the ticket number, have you tried inquiring as to when the ticket was actually cancelled (i.e. after she boarded) and via what service? That may be pointless but maybe it's a path worth exploring.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 12:29 pm

Programs: AA MM (like it matters!) All of my flying was personal travel, and COVID-19 stopped that.
Originally Posted by enpremiere
Well, given American's recent poor quarterly performance, some passengers are sensitive to that and might want to help American out by not requesting EC261 compensation that they are entitled to (just as American has demonstrated how sensitive it is about its customers with meaningful sAAver availability, maintaining elite benefits, human-sized on-board restrooms, and great long-term aircraft configurations).
You really should put a smiley or something on this, to warn the clue-impaired that you are engaging in sarcasm or a related form of humor.

Well played, sir!

(And note: Last night, I was on a Mesa CRJ 900, and experienced what has to be the smallest on-board restroom known to Man. I've been in telephone booths that were roomier.)
Old Sep 18, 2018, 12:38 pm

Programs: AA Exp / Marriott Titanium / Hilton Gold / Hyatt Globalist / United Silver
Depending on your settings, if you go to https://www.google.com/maps/timeline , it may show you when you were at the airport and where you were flying.

Old Sep 18, 2018, 1:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by BeatCal
Reconfirmation has not been required for 35 years.

Today it is entirely possible to make it as far as the gate at T-30 without encountering a human being and the only reason a human being is still required at all is that somewhere in the process there needs to be a document check (passport, not BP).
Old Sep 18, 2018, 1:24 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Is it conceivable that the ticket was cancelled after boarding? In the US passenger manifests are shared with CPB and I had a fun experience with this once. On a return flight to the US in which an international segment was upgraded (but apparently processed improperly at the gate), I was invited to a waiting area as CPB's manifest didn't have any record that I was on the flight and I had misplaced the boarding pass in luggage (found after the fact). They were eventually able to verify via a back office call to AA operations that I was had indeed checked in at remote station but that's all that the CPB officer confirmed before sending me on my way.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 3:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
More than likely simply sloppy work at AA. The passenger boards, the BP does not "beep" when scanned because it was held the wrong way, coffee-stained or whatever. Nobody notices either the lack of a sound or the fact that the name on the gate reader does not change.

When the pax count is done, the onboard count is accepted and nobody goes back to figure out who is onboard either without a BP or with an unscanned BP. The flight departs, the passenger is a no show because the BP did not scan and the onward segment(s) are cancelled.

It's the easiest explanation and even well-intentioned but harried agents could screw this up. Even possible they had to go back through and check and then got sent off to deal with some other mess, meaning to get back and fix the problem later.

Rather than trying to match flight tracks to dates and other techniques which won't likely mean much at AA, I would be looking for other collateral such as a text sent on landing saying something such as "landed safely." With the time marker for the screenshot and the lack of alternatives from PHL, this sort of thing makes it hard to imagine falsifying. I would also consider obtaining statements from the friends who picked the passenger up as well as anything else which tends to show the rough timing.

In the end, a DOT complaint won't help much if AA sticks to its guns because DOT won't get into judging who is right. But, in a SCC, this is what judges are for.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 10:39 pm

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
I would point out that if an airline is unaware of a pax being onboard on a US-bound flight, that is a SERIOUS security issue and I'm pretty sure that US authorities would have a field day with that. It might be worth mentioning that to AA...

When you purchase a plane ticket, it should not be the pax' responsibility to check a few days before to make sure that it's ok. (It's not like the airline issues a ticket just by looking at a credit card, without making sure that the payment can be processed.) Once a ticket has been issued, I see that as a promise that the pax will be transported from A to B, on the specific flights and under the conditions that were paid for. (They may change the aircraft type, but if they change the timing you have the option of getting a refund.) So yes, it's wise to periodically check on your ticket, but it shouldn't be your responsibility to do so.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 1:41 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
For arriving pax in LHR (as opposed to connecting) in addition to pp immigration stamp, pax still must fill out a LANDING CARD; I assume British immigration keeps these for awhile, one must list the flight number and airline. Getting a copy of that card* would help bolster her case (that she flew fro PHL to LHR).
*showing an official immigration stamp
Old Sep 20, 2018, 1:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

given that the outbound was nearly 2 months ago, I suspect that the inbound date has passed

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.