Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Compensation for AA mistakenly canceling return ticket?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2018, 6:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL-Silver; BA-Bronze

Sister-in-law purchased r/t ticket PHL-LHR. Flew over last week and then when she looked up her return flight a couple of days prior to her return, it was gone. Called AA and they told her they had no record of her flying the outbound leg. After some time, they told her to bring her boarding pass when she goes to check in for her return and they would get her back on.

At check in, they told her her original non-stop flight was now full and they ended up putting her on a BA flight to JFK with a Delta flight back to PHL. Weather delays at JFK turned things into a really long day and she ended up getting home past midnight vs. early in the afternoon had she been on her original flight.

Anyone have any experience getting compensated in this type of situation?
Old Jul 26, 2018, 6:44 pm

Programs: AF/KL Plat, AA Plat, HH Diamond
Since the affected flight was originating in the EU, she should be able to claim EU 261/2004 compensation.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 6:50 pm

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
https://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ...4R0261:en:HTML

Article 4 refers to Article 7 for 600 Euro compensation for Denied Boarding.
Other new flight delay due to weather not subject to payment (extraordinary circumstances).
Old Jul 26, 2018, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
For future reference - never wait until check-in on the day of the flight to get something like this straightened out.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 7:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zebranz
https://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ...4R0261:en:HTML

Article 4 refers to Article 7 for 600 Euro compensation for Denied Boarding.
Other new flight delay due to weather not subject to payment (extraordinary circumstances).
Yeah - I wasn't expecting EU 261 compensation - just hoping AA would throw her a voucher for the inconvenience.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 10:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by bevoinva
Yeah - I wasn't expecting EU 261 compensation - just hoping AA would throw her a voucher for the inconvenience.
Wy would you not be wanting EC261 compensation? The passenger had a confirmed ticket on a flight and the airline didn't take the passenger due to its mistake and overselling - cannot see why the passenger should not be entitled to EUR300 or EUR600 in real money depending on how much later the BA/DL flights were scheduled to get the passenger to the destination
Franky16 likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 6:17 am

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
Costs the same to ask for EC261 compensation as to ask for voucher.... Cash always better and doubt AA would issue money voucher for more than $700. Since I value AA points at 1.3-1.5 cents each I have never received an AA compensation of more than 10,000 miles (1.5 cents: $700= 45,000 miles)
Old Jul 27, 2018, 7:23 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
She was the passenger. What does she want?

Why on earth would your sister want a "funny money" voucher from AA when she is entitled to cold hard cash (OK, maybe a check!) which she can use for anything she wants. That also puts her in the enviable position of being able to negotiate with AA for a voucher larger than the cash amount. She is due EUR 600 and AA may well pay out a larger voucher (which might be useful if she knows that she wants limits).

Second the recommendation that one never waits to the airport. This could have gone really wrong and that would have left her standing at the airport waiting a long time.
nancypants and Franky16 like this.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 8:17 am

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Wy would you not be wanting EC261 compensation? The passenger had a confirmed ticket on a flight and the airline didn't take the passenger due to its mistake and overselling
Well, given American's recent poor quarterly performance, some passengers are sensitive to that and might want to help American out by not requesting EC261 compensation that they are entitled to (just as American has demonstrated how sensitive it is about its customers with meaningful sAAver availability, maintaining elite benefits, human-sized on-board restrooms, and great long-term aircraft configurations).

Originally Posted by Often1
Why on earth would your sister want a "funny money" voucher from AA when she is entitled to cold hard cash (OK, maybe a check!) which she can use for anything she wants.
Who doesn't want a little monopoly money/bitAAcoin in their lives?
nancypants and JDiver like this.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 8:21 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I think most of us would advise contacting AA CS and asking for €600 from the get go. If she flies AA regularly at all, accept a voucher if they offer one for >=$1,000.

And yes, never fall for the “they’ll fix it at the airport” dodge in situations like this.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by JDiver
I think most of us would advise contacting AA CS and asking for €600 from the get go. If she flies AA regularly at all, accept a voucher if they offer one for >=$1,000.

And yes, never fall for the “they’ll fix it at the airport” dodge in situations like this.
I think AA has been offering $800 vouchers to passengers as an option, and I will also mention those vouchers come with the benefit of a reduction in taxes, so they are worth more than the $ amount.
I have no problem taking them as they will get quickly used. 600 Euros is about $700, to an $800 voucher also saving additional taxes is not a bad short term investment. Of course, if the experience has turned you off of AA, then the 600 Euro cash payment might be better.
JDiver likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by mvoight
I think AA has been offering $800 vouchers to passengers as an option, and I will also mention those vouchers come with the benefit of a reduction in taxes, so they are worth more than the $ amount.
I have no problem taking them as they will get quickly used. 600 Euros is about $700, to an $800 voucher also saving additional taxes is not a bad short term investment. Of course, if the experience has turned you off of AA, then the 600 Euro cash payment might be better.
Thanks for ringing in with that!
Old Jul 27, 2018, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by JDiver
Thanks for ringing in with that!
That said, I have never an EU compensation for AA, just its partners, BA and AY.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 10:57 am
Original Poster

I have no problem with her asking for the 600 Euros but would that still apply here since technically she didn't have a seat on the plane after they canceled her ticket a few days ahead of time?
Old Jul 27, 2018, 12:13 pm

I have no problem with her asking for the 600 Euros but would that still apply here since technically she didn't have a seat on the plane after they canceled her ticket a few days ahead of time?
I think that has been answered already, from a (currently) EU based member.

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Wy would you not be wanting EC261 compensation? The passenger had a confirmed ticket on a flight and the airline didn't take the passenger due to its mistake and overselling - cannot see why the passenger should not be entitled to EUR300 or EUR600 in real money depending on how much later the BA/DL flights were scheduled to get the passenger to the destination

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.