Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Minor: Rejected for LAX Flagship Lounge Access

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Minor: Rejected for LAX Flagship Lounge Access

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2018, 11:11 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
A rant thread, because you were (rightfully so) denied entry to the lounge -> that's something we really love to hear here at FT.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Collierkr
The OP's post really has nothing to do with the drinking age (or law)- don't see a reason for you to go political with your rant implying such.
Actually, it does... Admirals Club age is 18, Flagship Lounge age is 21 due to self pour alcohol... if I am correct
Old Jul 20, 2018, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Beltway2A
That's not even remotely true. Do you think all the juvenile prosecutors, police officers and court systems in the US who prosecute and convict juveniles of crimes are weird vigilantes or something?
I think I might have phrased it inaccurately. I'm not talking about the kinds of major criminal charges where you get arrested or face jail time. But, if an unaccompanied minor under 18 were to cause damage to a lounge, or injure somebody, the minor could not be sued (unless legally emancipated).....however his or her PARENTS or LEGAL GUARDIANS could be sued. Parents/guardians are expected to supervise their children (or provide appropriate alternative supervision when needed). Parents/guardians who permit their minor children to travel unsupervised are taking on a certain level of risk/liability.

AA is allowed to set any (legal) lounge access policy they'd like, and they've chosen to do so based on particular lounge offerings.
Yes.
TWA884 likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 1:30 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Wow... just wow...

The amazing and consistent ability of FTers to take what is an utterly simply open and shut thread (yes the agent was correct, no they shouldn't have been rude about it) and spin it wildly out of control is nothing short of breathtaking...

Regards
Old Jul 20, 2018, 1:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by mvoight
Actually, it does... Admirals Club age is 18, Flagship Lounge age is 21 due to self pour alcohol... if I am correct
ok, but that wasn't in the OP's original post. It may be the ultimate reason, so one oculd have just said that and left the politically biased drivel for somewhere else.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 2:15 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by DCP2016
Agree agree agree. AA and the employees have to protect themselves, but the law is very outdated, hypocritical, and ultra conservative.

OP just witnessed proof that alcohol is taboo in the United States.
Taboo (Kapu)? The. Volstead Act was actually rescinded in 1933. Interestingly, Utah was the 36th state to ratify the 21st Amendment rescinding the 18th Amendment. Alcohol is quite legal, albeit regulated, in most parts of the USA.
ESpen36 likes this.

Last edited by JDiver; Jul 20, 2018 at 3:12 pm
Old Jul 20, 2018, 2:53 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Previously, some states did allow alcohol at 18 (NY and DC for example) and some allowed only beer or only 3.2% alcohol beer (Ohio, IIRC Wisconsin), while there were a few examples of the drinking age being 19 or 20.
Yes, 30+ years ago. The last state to raise it, Wyoming, did it on 7/1/1988.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 3:09 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by JDiver
The Volstead Act was actually rescinded in 1933.
One of the mythical origins of the "33" on the Rolling Rock bottle.
Attached Images  
Old Jul 20, 2018, 5:28 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by ESpen36
I think I might have phrased it inaccurately. I'm not talking about the kinds of major criminal charges where you get arrested or face jail time. But, if an unaccompanied minor under 18 were to cause damage to a lounge, or injure somebody, the minor could not be sued (unless legally emancipated).....however his or her PARENTS or LEGAL GUARDIANS could be sued. Parents/guardians are expected to supervise their children (or provide appropriate alternative supervision when needed). Parents/guardians who permit their minor children to travel unsupervised are taking on a certain level of risk/liability.
Again, that's not really accurate. Children under the age of (varies from state to state, but is usually) 7 aren't responsible for their own torts. Children older than that are often responsible for their own torts, intentional or by negligence. Parental liability for the torts of children due to lack of supervision is a separate issue than holding minors responsible for their own acts and negligence. What you're saying isn't an accurate representation of how things work in the US.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 1:14 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by b.xiao
Next time I will just find someone who happens to be standing outside the lounge and ask if he/she wants to be invited to the lounge haha
Rather than finding a random you can use this thread: Guide: Admirals Club / Flagship Lounge etc. Meet Up & Guest Offer to guest someone who will hopefully be better behaved than the person eluded to below
Originally Posted by jcatman

If you pass through MIA, look for a Jamaican woman with a starving child making cell phone videos........she'll go in with you.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 6:08 am

Programs: AA EXP, TK Elite, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Hi there,

AA allows minors to travel alone on their aircraft....
"Children from 15 through 17 years of age may travel alone, and the Unaccompanied Minor Service is optional
(subject to the same provisions)."
But they do not allow the same minors to get into their lounge ? if they are worried about minors drinking
alcohol, make it mandatory for them to wear a band so they are not served alcohol. (Ban entry in lounges
with self serving alcohol)...
Old Jul 21, 2018, 8:36 am

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by flyalways
Hi there,

AA allows minors to travel alone on their aircraft....
"Children from 15 through 17 years of age may travel alone, and the Unaccompanied Minor Service is optional
(subject to the same provisions)."
But they do not allow the same minors to get into their lounge ? if they are worried about minors drinking
alcohol, make it mandatory for them to wear a band so they are not served alcohol. (Ban entry in lounges
with self serving alcohol)...
How would you prevent a minor from removing the band?
Old Jul 21, 2018, 9:32 am

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
I find it outrageous that AA discriminates against specific occupations.

Regardless of your stance on the environment, they should not deny coal minors entry into the lounge.
C17PSGR, MSPeconomist and Webogirl like this.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 12:58 pm

I'll admit it I was 17 and got Wine and Baileys and a Scotch on an American First Class SJC-ORD-SJC flight. I was dressed in a suit and confidently told the FA I'll have a Red wine please with my Steak Dinner. Then with the Sundae I asked for a Bailey's one way and Scotch the other way. I was not denied it nor did I abuse it.

I have never been carded on a plane as I look and act the part. I even got a Bloody Mary with Vodka from SJC-JFK in the AM and alcohol on flights to and from Hawaii all before I was 21!

I come from a European culture and we had Wine before we were 21 and my Grandparents served me Red Wine when I was 14-15 with dinner! No I am not an alcoholic I am a very responsible drinker.

Even with the self pour liquor I am able to gauge how much I intake. I have never been cut off by a flight or lounge attendant and I will switch between water and other liquids in between and make sure I do it with enough food.

As others have said its about playing the part!
Old Jul 21, 2018, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by jcatman
How would you prevent a minor from removing the band?
Very easy use and RFID band and if the minor does not have it one boot them out of the lounge with Mommy and Daddy LOL!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.