Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Free MCE seat selection (plat) if someone else buys my ticket?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2018, 9:54 am
Original Poster

My friend has AA vouchers that he won't be able to use, and wants to book a ticket for me and I will just pay him. If he books the ticket for me using the vouchers, will I then be able to go in and select MCE seats for free, with my platinum status? He does not have any AA status.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 10:05 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by cschmae
My friend has AA vouchers that he won't be able to use, and wants to book a ticket for me and I will just pay him. If he books the ticket for me using the vouchers, will I then be able to go in and select MCE seats for free, with my platinum status? He does not have any AA status.
Once the ticket is booked, if your friend doesn’t have your AAdvantage FFN in the record, you should be able to add it and be entitled to your Platinum perks. It’s not who pays for the ticket, it’s who’s flying and their status, generally.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 11:26 am
Original Poster

Great, thank you!
Old Jul 11, 2018, 11:42 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by cschmae
Just an FYI, what you described is probably against the terms of the voucher. They usually have verbiage that says "vouchers are nontransferable and may not be bartered or sold, you may use your voucher toward the purchase of a ticket for a friend or family member, if you choose."

In practice you'll be fine, but I wouldn't anecdotally mention to AA that you're reimbursing your friend for the voucher in any potential complaints or comments you might have with AA customer relations related to your travel.

As an added bonus, if your friend got the voucher for voluntary denied boarding or EU 261 compensation, it'll knock off some of the taxes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.