Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Is the Oasis / MAX lavatory Air Carrier Access Act / ACA compliant?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 10, 2018, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
The new 737 MAX 8 is equipped with new Rockwell Collins Interior Design “advanced“ ultra slimline lavatories (29” in F, 24” in Y) (link). Under Project Oasis, 737-823 and two class Airbus A321 aircraft will be refitted with these lavatories and the Rockwell Collins Meridian ultra slimline seats.

Airlines must comply with the Air Carrier Access Act (not the Americans with Disabilities Act), which states single aisle aircraft are not required to have ACAA compliant accessible lavatories.

CFR › Title 14 › Chapter II › Subchapter D › Part 382 › Subpart E › Section 382.63 (link)

§ 382.63 What are the requirements for accessible lavatories?
(a) As a carrier, you must ensure that aircraft with more than one aisle in which lavatories are provided shall include at least one accessible lavatory.

(1) The accessible lavatory must permit a qualified individual with a disability to enter, maneuver within as necessary to use all lavatory facilities, and leave, by means of the aircraft's on-board wheelchair.

(2) The accessible lavatory must afford privacy to persons using the on-board wheelchair equivalent to that afforded ambulatory users.

(3) The lavatory shall provide door locks, accessible call buttons, grab bars, faucets and other controls, and dispensers usable by qualified individuals with a disability, including wheelchair users and persons with manual impairments.

(b) With respect to aircraft with only one aisle in which lavatories are provided, you may, but are not required to, provide an accessible lavatory.
Print Wikipost

Is the Oasis / MAX lavatory Air Carrier Access Act / ACA compliant?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2021, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by CLT
AA added a feature to the water spigot to cut down on the spray effect.
This plane must haven't gotten it yet. As careful as I was water was all over the door and floor. I then had to wipe it down.
Spanish likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2021, 9:16 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Yes the size of that lav is out control. God help the person that would need to go "number 2." I usually see lots of "liquid" on that lav floor and I try not to think what the composite of that "liquid" might be.

Another reason to upfare on the Oasis a/c, or pray for an upgrade. At least the F lav is a bit bigger and usually less used.
Old Apr 9, 2021, 10:06 am

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by GunsOfNavarone
AA just wants to give fliers of its 737 MAX the same experience they get at their CLT terminal latrines..... At least only one person can use the latrine at a time on the 737 MAX so nobody can urinate on your shoes, which can easily happen at a urinal at CLT from the guy shoulder to shoulder next to you.
So you're saying that AA is introducing the creepy/uncomfortable bathroom attendant like they have at CLT? Oh great....
will2288 and GrumpyYoungMan like this.
Old Apr 9, 2021, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by aamilesslave
So you're saying that AA is introducing the creepy/uncomfortable bathroom attendant like they have at CLT? Oh great....
LOL. Another reason to avoid CLT. Thankfully, I'm only average height and have lost 50 pounds -- so I can fit in the Oasis lav. We may need Project Nome to fix this issue.
Old Apr 9, 2021, 11:29 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Marriot Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum/2022 Titanium
Originally Posted by enviroian
I miss the MD-80!
Ahh! The Good ol' days of endless DFW-SJC, DFW-SFO trips on Mad Dogs, racking up miles and working Silicon Valley. And the best hotel staff ever at the Fremont Marriott. Good times...

Sorry for the sudden nostalgia trip!
bl-ord likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2021, 11:34 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by GunsOfNavarone
AA just wants to give fliers of its 737 MAX the same experience they get at their CLT terminal latrines..... At least only one person can use the latrine at a time on the 737 MAX so nobody can urinate on your shoes, which can easily happen at a urinal at CLT from the guy shoulder to shoulder next to you.
This is sad. They just rebuilt their terminals at CLT.

In the B Admirals Club at CLT, the entire sink slab (one piece) in the men's room is installed backward. I was actually there a few hours after install and pointed it out to the dude, but he didn't speak English. (And he had fitted the faucets by then, so I guess it was a moot point). This is why you have to lean about a foot further to get to the lavatory in the B club compared to the C club.
Old Apr 9, 2021, 1:53 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by enviroian
This plane must haven't gotten it yet. As careful as I was water was all over the door and floor. I then had to wipe it down.
You missed the marketing about AA being the only airline offering showers in coach?
enviroian, cmd320, Spanish and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 9, 2021, 1:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
You missed the marketing about AA being the only airline offering showers in coach?
Since you can no longer get one at the AC.
Old Apr 10, 2021, 8:15 am

Programs: AA LT Platinum
Just another example of the people who decide what to buy never have to use the things they buy.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2021, 5:50 am

Originally Posted by DCP2016
If you look inside an AA MAX 8, there is not much differentiating it from the inside of a Spirit/Frontier/Allegiant aircraft. In fact, service might be better on the latter as well.
at least expectations are the same. Buying a big front seat and bringing your own food from your favorite terminal restaurant seems equivalent now. Only issue is irrops.
Old Apr 11, 2021, 6:33 am
CLT

Programs: AA EXP (Former US CP)
Originally Posted by formeraa
LOL. Another reason to avoid CLT. Thankfully, I'm only average height and have lost 50 pounds -- so I can fit in the Oasis lav. We may need Project Nome to fix this issue.
CLT discontinued the bathroom attendant program several years ago.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.