Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Describe your worst AA in-flight meal ever

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Describe your worst AA in-flight meal ever

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2018, 8:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Can't remember if it was UA or AA, but many years ago when flying home from college I requested a vegetarian meal in advance, and it turned out to be a slab of unseasoned tofu on a rock hard bun. No condiments or anything. Learned my lesson
Old Jul 3, 2018, 8:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP
The breakfast I was served on a JFK-LHR day flight in 2012. It was a white, somewhat runny substance, and to this day I have no idea what it was. It may have been an undercooked omelette, but it was a little sweet. It could have been a rice pudding, but it wasn't lumpy enough. Long Train Runnin is right; I'm sad I don't have a photo.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 9:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
My worst AA meal was not having a meal at all, in Y from ORD to HNL. All the BOB was sold out as well. Glad I brought a sandwich and bag of chips with me.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 11:05 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
tonight's choices from DFW-SJO were the stuffed peppers or new nicoise salad. The peppers (with 3 cheeses) smelled like feet, so I had the salad. A cold plate of 3 hard boiled egg halves, potato, tomato and asparagus, served on a single romaine leaf, with cold chicken on the side.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 4:19 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
I wonder why we as travelers expect a decent meal on any airline.
My way of thinking is that , If I know I will be hungry, eat before, and I wont be disappointed.
I have stopped counting the meal on a plane to be edible
Old Jul 5, 2018, 1:29 pm

a great sundae and (separately) plenty of good gin make up for the crAApy food
deeruck likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
I can't say I've had a "bad" meal on AA or US. My worst meal ever, though, was in UA C on ICN-NRT once. Cold chicken breast with salad - probably the worst chicken I've ever seen or tasted. Was totally rubbery, and the salad was of questionable freshness at best.

I can generally slog thru any meal, but I couldn't touch that one after tasting it.

I remember getting Chicken Kiev once in US Y back in the early 90s. Sad that most coach meals then were still better than the F meals we get now.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 4:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2MM), Marriott Tit
Originally Posted by fotographer
My way of thinking is that , If I know I will be hungry, eat before, and I wont be disappointed.
I have stopped counting the meal on a plane to be edible
So lots of trans-Pacific travel, then?
Old Jul 6, 2018, 5:42 pm

PEK-DFW, tasted like Panda Express left out for a couple days and soaked in brine.

(The other direction, DFW-PEK, was fine however.)
Old Jul 7, 2018, 7:15 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by PlatinumScum
So lots of trans-Pacific travel, then?
mostly Asia via the Atlantic
Old Jul 7, 2018, 8:24 am

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
I’m rather jaded from 30 years of constant air travel so I have very low expectations and usually carry my own snacks onboard and/or eat prior to boarding. The worst are any steak offerings in J or F followed by slimy pasta dishes and chicken curry. The safest, most edible meals are breakfast.
boss315 likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 8:27 am

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
I had the stuffed pepper a few days ago that everyone has been maligning. I actually thought it was pretty decent for airline food and would eat it again.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 9:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: United Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by davie355
PEK-DFW, tasted like Panda Express left out for a couple days and soaked in brine.

(The other direction, DFW-PEK, was fine however.)
ALL of my x-PEK meals have been some variation of this, regardless of airline, alliance, cabin, caterer, or any other variables. I am starting to think there is just a Panda Express deep in the basement of PEK that cooks a week’s worth of meals once every seven days.
boss315 likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by fotographer
Just because food is served while in-flight doesn't mean it has to be awful. In fact, most of the in-flight meals I've had on foreign carriers have been pretty good. A few have been excellent, and not always in Business Class.

I flew from Bangkok to Phuket (45 min flight) in bare-bones economy last year and they served a fantastic Thai meal. Yep--you got that right: they served a great meal to a planeload of ~100 passengers in less than 15 mins (the amount of usable time between take off and landing).

And don't even get me started about my fantastic meal on Austrian Airlines' Business Class from Vienna to LAX last week. Here's a pic of just the main course: Austrian style stuffed chicken breast with goulash sauce, lima beans, and grilled asparagus. Chicken was absolutely perfectly cooked and plated beautifully.

Chicken on Austrian
Old Jul 7, 2018, 12:47 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
A hummus plate I had in domestic J on an ATL -> DFW. It was the only option by the time the FA got to me. The hummus was runny and there were only bread-sticks for dipping. I asked the FA to get me a snack box from Y. All of my international Y meals have been better, and some have been significantly better.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.