Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Describe your worst AA in-flight meal ever

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2018, 9:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: United Premier Platinum

I thought it would be fun to share our most memorably disappointing experiences with in-flight food on AA.

This is not meant to be a comprehensive look at AA meals (as there is a separate thread for that), and it is also not my intention to be mean-spirited.
Regardless of the overall quality level of AA's catering, I think we can all agree that there is at least an occasional meal that..misses the mark.

For me, it was some Panko Crusted Prawns on DFW-NRT (in J).
When I received the dish, I noticed what appeared to be four tater tots with shrimp tails attached. Upon further examination, I could find lots of crust, but unfortunately not much panko or prawn. It was the closest to "fried nothing" that I think I have ever experienced...and I've been to my fair share of state fairs in the South!

That was one flight where I raided the snack bar quite thoroughly .
Old Jun 29, 2018, 10:03 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
That revolting cream cheese omelette in transcon Biz, JFK-LAX. I like cheese in omelettes, but this version was disgusting. And that salmon potato hash smelt so bad and fishy.
rossmacd and brc757rr like this.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 10:08 am

It’s all nasty
frebay likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by mcrw00
This is not meant to be a comprehensive look at AA meals (as there is a separate thread for that)...
So why another thread? To promote whining?
adunker and 757FO like this.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 11:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
So why another thread? To promote whining?
For humor. I imagine many people’s “personal worsts” approach the absurd in terms of description vs. reality, mystery ingredients, or bizarre presentation.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 11:53 am

Programs: American Airlines, Marriott, Hertz, Avis
I forget what this was actually called? A few years back, domestic first breakfast (I think jfk - ord but could be wrong) was a sandwich wrap - berry flavored oatmeal wrapped in a thin tortilla type wrapper.

I distinctly remember the bright purple oatmeal in the wrap and just being so confused how they came up with oatmeal in a sandwich.

I only saw it that once, so maybe it was just a test??
GWFan likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 12:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP
2 years ago I was flying MAD-DFW in F (J-F upgrade) and asked to be served the steak about half way through the flight. When the steak was brought out, it was still lukewarrm and didn't taste right, when I got to the center it was cold (had not been heated up properly). Probably not stored properly either. It may have been this or something else, but 36 hours later I was in hospital with salmonella poisoning.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 12:22 pm

A while back now (still under the Arpey days) the wife and I were flying DFW-CDG and we got to experience Beef Torta Roma, it was an abomination.

The wife said it should have been called Beef Torta Vomit as it looked liked a dog got sick in the bowl.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerStef
I forget what this was actually called? A few years back, domestic first breakfast (I think jfk - ord but could be wrong) was a sandwich wrap - berry flavored oatmeal wrapped in a thin tortilla type wrapper.

I distinctly remember the bright purple oatmeal in the wrap and just being so confused how they came up with oatmeal in a sandwich.

I only saw it that once, so maybe it was just a test??
"Mr. ______, this morning we have an oatmeal burrito, served with American's traditional fruit plate of geriatric grapes and a wilted mint leaf."
FlyerStef likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 4:38 pm

curry chicken. actually curry ANYTHING.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 5:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
the current stuffed peppers dish in domestic F.

Revolting.

Bad enough I have to smell it, let alone look at it or eat it.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 6:31 pm

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
Originally Posted by LovePrunes
curry chicken. actually curry ANYTHING.
Hmm Of course my BIL has a very special palate, however, you can learn a wider universe of tastes.
https://digest.littlespoon.com/lifestyle-3/palate-training-101/
Old Jun 29, 2018, 6:57 pm
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
This thread is worthless without pictures.

This meal was from October 2017 on a MIA-PHL flight.

A "Stuffed Pepper". Was offered it again I think in January flying on a 787-9 DFW-ORD. Obviously after the first experience I went with something else.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 7:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Long Train Runnin
This thread is worthless without pictures.

This meal was from October 2017 on a MIA-PHL flight.

A "Stuffed Pepper". Was offered it again I think in January flying on a 787-9 DFW-ORD. Obviously after the first experience I went with something else.
Wow...what is that so-called sauce on top supposed to be?
Old Jul 3, 2018, 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by boerne
Hmm Of course my BIL has a very special palate, however, you can learn a wider universe of tastes.
https://digest.littlespoon.com/lifes...-training-101/
Or I can just DISLIKE freaking CURRY
... is the suggestion to go to a website for children? Thanks Mommy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.