Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA F versus AA J on 77W

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2018, 7:37 pm

Programs: United Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by ijgordon

I don’t think SteveinA2’s comment was directed at you.
It was a question posted as part of a public forum discussion. I have the right to contribute my two cents.

If SteveinA2 wanted to hear from econometrics exclusively, he would have PM’ed them.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mcrw00
It was a question posted as part of a public forum discussion. I have the right to contribute my two cents.

If SteveinA2 wanted to hear from econometrics exclusively, he would have PM’ed them.
The sky is blue.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 11:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by econometrics
I would only ever burn an SWU to F on the 77W if:
  1. I was departing from an airport with Flagship First dining
  2. It was a day flight... as the chair swivel feature in the F seat is quite nice to get some work done.
  3. It was a long flight
So, basically... I am happy in J almost all the time. But if I have an expiring SWU, I would burn it DFW-HKG (once FFD opens in DFW) or LHR-LAX/DFW (once FFD opens at LHR).

I would personally never pay more to fly F over J.
When it comes to FFD, if the airport doesn't have it, Lounge Hop, at LHR you have access to Qantas and CX, at DFW you are basically SOL unless the "The Club" is a nice place.
The F suits swivel and it's nice if you are traveling with someone to dine with, I feel the seats are better then J, I like the J seats but at times they feel like a coffin.
AA only flys F on long haul flights.

I wish there was better ground service at LHR, the walk from the Flagship lounge to the 40's gates is quite long, a nice buggy ride would be nice.
Old Feb 1, 2020, 12:37 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, Marriott Ambassador (LT Titanium)
Thoughts on the value of using a 2021-expiring systemwide to go J->F on LHR-LAX? With no flagship dining / no lounge benefits at all (on top of EP) at LHR, I’m wondering if it’s worth it. The 12-hour flight has me leaning towards yes but I’ve never been in the seat before so looking for opinions.
Old Feb 1, 2020, 1:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by sam2k2002
Thoughts on the value of using a 2021-expiring systemwide to go J->F on LHR-LAX? With no flagship dining / no lounge benefits at all (on top of EP) at LHR, I’m wondering if it’s worth it. The 12-hour flight has me leaning towards yes but I’ve never been in the seat before so looking for opinions.
You'll get a lot of different answers on this. I've burned an SWU on LHR-DFW a couple of times. In fact, I just used a 2019 expiring SWU to do this in early March, since the space was available.

My $0.02 is that if you're not going to use it, burn it. I really only like the F seat during the daytime flights. I don't sleep as well in them as the 77W J seat. I like the extra space, and the swivel function to have a "desk" workspace for the daytime flights.

That's really the only motivation for me. The food/drinks in F vs. J is a marginal improvement that holds little value to me.
Old Feb 1, 2020, 1:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by sam2k2002
If you have no other use for the SWU, then I'd do it. In my case, I wouldn't on that route since I just don't think J to F on 77W is worth it when I can usually find enough C space on TPAC/TATL, or even JFK-LAX/SFO throughout the year to use up my SWUs that way.

On the other hand, if you were to go from J to F on LHR-JFK-LAX, then I think it's borderline worth it since you get FFD at JFK. But that means more overall travel time.
Antarius likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2020, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by econ
If you have no other use for the SWU, then I'd do it. In my case, I wouldn't on that route since I just don't think J to F on 77W is worth it when I can usually find enough C space on TPAC/TATL, or even JFK-LAX/SFO throughout the year to use up my SWUs that way.

On the other hand, if you were to go from J to F on LHR-JFK-LAX, then I think it's borderline worth it since you get FFD at JFK. But that means more overall travel time.
Agree with this. Not really worth it, unless the SWU is expiring.

Ive found more C space this year than the last few years, so definitely would keep them for a impromptu vacation.
platbrownguy and econ like this.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 5:05 am

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One
Originally Posted by econ
and also FFD at LAX
econ likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 6:06 am

Programs: AA EXP
Used a SWU to go from J to F on DFW-LHR earlier this year and was incredibly disappointed. I've had better service, more enthusiastic, and far nicer flight attendants from CLT-LGA. The F flight attendant could not have been more abrupt and unenthusiastic to be there. He did the bare minimum to get by, it was incredibly disappointing. It's wild that there's such a variation between flight attendants because I'm sure if I took this flight a day before or day after the service would've been far superior (and then terrible again another day before/after).
Old Feb 2, 2020, 11:22 am

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by Finsup72
Used a SWU to go from J to F on DFW-LHR earlier this year and was incredibly disappointed. I've had better service, more enthusiastic, and far nicer flight attendants from CLT-LGA. The F flight attendant could not have been more abrupt and unenthusiastic to be there. He did the bare minimum to get by, it was incredibly disappointing. It's wild that there's such a variation between flight attendants because I'm sure if I took this flight a day before or day after the service would've been far superior (and then terrible again another day before/after).
Of course the service will vary from one flight to another, based upon the crew you receive. That doesn't mean you have to change YOUR expectations or standards. Remind the F flight attendant that you have service expectations, and keep reminding him.......for the entire flight.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 12:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
I’ve used SWUs to go up from J to F on JFK GRU JFK flights and it was well worth the experience even though I was asleep for 2/3 of flight. Much more comfortable seating (for me at least). Somewhat better food and I did like the turn down service.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 1:41 pm

In J

No soup for you
Old Feb 2, 2020, 3:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One
Originally Posted by jcatman
Of course the service will vary from one flight to another, based upon the crew you receive.
It certainly will. I think people rightfully have higher expectations when in F vs J, and hence are a bit more picky and observant of small details. I have also seen many reports, here and elsewhere, that they have had their worst crews in F on the 77W. If you're expecting an elevated experience and instead have your worst crew, that's going to leave an impression. The first time I flew in AA international F, the crew was one of the worst I could recall from any of my domestic or international J experiences. On my second experience, I thought the crew was great, but the plane was badly mis-catered, which put a damper on things; still, the crew did a good job of working with what they had. On my most recent experience, I had one of the best crews I have ever experienced. Everything was "just so" as far as service. Someone came to check on drinks every 15 minutes throughout the entire flight, they offered to bring back snacks from the bar so people didn't need to adjust their seats to get up, they proactively and enthusiastically made beds, etc. The flight even ended with a handwritten note from the purser, which was more than just boilerplate.

That doesn't mean you have to change YOUR expectations or standards. Remind the F flight attendant that you have service expectations, and keep reminding him.......for the entire flight.
In all seriousness -- how do you suggest doing this? I am not someone who minds speaking up, but it doesn't seem like annoying someone you're looking to get good service from for the next 10+ hours is a good plan, and nowadays, I'd be a bit afraid of being branded a disturbance or threatening.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 4:01 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by ikwia
It certainly will. I think people rightfully have higher expectations when in F vs J, and hence are a bit more picky and observant of small details. I have also seen many reports, here and elsewhere, that they have had their worst crews in F on the 77W. If you're expecting an elevated experience and instead have your worst crew, that's going to leave an impression. The first time I flew in AA international F, the crew was one of the worst I could recall from any of my domestic or international J experiences. On my second experience, I thought the crew was great, but the plane was badly mis-catered, which put a damper on things; still, the crew did a good job of working with what they had. On my most recent experience, I had one of the best crews I have ever experienced. Everything was "just so" as far as service. Someone came to check on drinks every 15 minutes throughout the entire flight, they offered to bring back snacks from the bar so people didn't need to adjust their seats to get up, they proactively and enthusiastically made beds, etc. The flight even ended with a handwritten note from the purser, which was more than just boilerplate.

In all seriousness -- how do you suggest doing this? I am not someone who minds speaking up, but it doesn't seem like annoying someone you're looking to get good service from for the next 10+ hours is a good plan, and nowadays, I'd be a bit afraid of being branded a disturbance or threatening.
Speaking up does not mean you are being annoying.....even inside a metal tube with wings.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 7:25 am

Speaking up does not mean you are being annoying.....even inside a metal tube with wings.
Maybe this is just a semantic disagreement, but I interpreted your post to mean that one should tell the FA that you expect certain service standards to be met. I think that this would at a minimum lead to an awkward flight, and nowadays could lead to an even worse result for the passenger. I would agree that proactively asking for expected service items (e.g., drinks, turndown service, etc.) should be fine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.